OHSU Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Not welcoming for basic research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Living in Portland is great Great public transit benefit Although not ethnically/racially diverse (because Portland is fundamentally white), it is socially diverse Send out notices often about changes going on in the university

Cons

Although not explicitly stated, they are downsizing basic research, focusing more on applied medical research (they call it "increasing efficiencies"). For this reason, many basic research labs are leaving or closing, as the policies implemented make labs and departments pay more for University services than they used to (i.e. pay rent for conference rooms or regular cleaning of floors), funding is scarcer, and PI's get restrictions on their lab space as soon as an RO1 does not go up for renewal (at least in some departments). There is only a budding post-doc association, which is to be commended for their efforts in improving post-doc life. They are very fishy about the salary for post-docs. They only advertise the NIH recommended levels, but I know we don't get paid that, and I don't know how are salary increases are calculated (again, not as per NIH standards). In general, and this is my impression and not necessarily a shared one, is that they talk a big talk, but when it comes down to it, they view employees as worker bees. They get away with it because people like living in Portland. Benefits are not very good for post-docs, but that might be the case in most institutions. I don't know how it is for regular employees. CUlture and values is rated poorly before, not because of the people (I think there is a great culture here) but because the values stated by the institution are one thing, but the reality is another.

Advice to Management

OHSU has a great workforce of individuals, where people take pride for working at OHSU and work hard because of that pride. However, with many people that I talk to (and this might be because I talk to like-minded people), there is a sense of OHSU exploiting them. I don't really have any advice on how to deal with this, and maybe it is not of real concern to the higher ups as long as work gets done. However, I associate this kind of attitude with a commercial setting, rather than an academic one, and therefore OHSU might need to be more explicit about its expectations and goals (with clear examples rather than flowery words like "integration", "diversity", "creativity", etc.

2. Healthcare institute

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfactory research and clinical job

Cons

Parking is not easy nearby

OHSU is a great company to work for with hundreds of avenues for career change and growth.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Marquam Hill, OR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Marquam Hill, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge employer that does almost everything related to health care. A leader in the community and the state, people who are passionate about what they do and the role they play with the organization.

Cons

One Word: Bureaucracy OHSU moves frustratingly slow due to the complexity of it's mission(s). Decisions are often made slowly and often they come from sources that are not available for discussion and have little contact with the day-to-day operations.

I was a postdoc in genetics--it was great.

Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Computational Biology Postdoctoral in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of new skills in the cancer sequencing field.

Cons

Postdocs have salaries set by the NIH, no retirement, and only 2 weeks of vacation.

Advice to Management

Needs paid maternity leave like the grad students have.

6. Very autonomous labs working largely on physiologicy

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge number of resources with faculty members who are very well established and experts at what they do. The emphasis of research is largely on physiology and what seems to be, translational research.

Cons

Situated in a part of Portland that us distant from the human race. The research questions, while being diverse, are too focussed on translational science focussed making it a but of a bore for those interested in more of a basic science research,

Advice to Management

More effort should be invested to facilitate networking and collaborative research as well as career workshops/counselling for those seeking to step outside of academia.

7. Horrible place for PostDocs

I have been working at OHSU (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart co-workers.

Cons

OHSU treats its postdocs horribly, it was by far the worst out of any place I have been at. After my first year there health benefits were severely reduced, forcing us onto the student health insurance. There were countless little things that showed that PostDocs were not respected, and there was very little regard to career advancement.

Advice to Management

Treat the research staff better and don't abandoned all other research to chase the money for the Knight's money.

Decent hospital compared to others

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good PTO They expect decent performance from the docs Fairly organized

Cons

Passive approaches to innovation Not a comprehensive cancer center...a little behind the times. they're trying to catch up though

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, generous benefits package (paid vacation and sick leave, affordable medical/dental/vision insurance, 12% retirement fund contribution)

Cons

Low take-home pay, stressful work environment, leadership prone to top-down decision-making

Advice to Management

The generous paid vacation and sick time can only go so far. Your employees are putting in long hours for low pay, and the top-down decision-making model that leadership employs has been slowly eroding morale for years. Consider involving the boots-on-the-ground before issuing mandates. I believe it will go a long way with the employees who are dedicated to serving our patients.

10. Everyone is extremely friendly and value diversity and equality.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Help pay tuition, teach spanish classes, great benefits.

Cons

Cannot park on campus, very male dominated

Advice to Management

Make sure there is no gender discrimination in salaries.

11. It Really Depends

I have been working at OHSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a great PI who is committed to my professional and personal development. I work with bright people and we do cool work.

Cons

The pay as an RA II is terrible. On the plus side Portland is a cheap town and the benefits aren't too bad. Also, every center is different, and some PIs can be horrible managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed