OMD

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

OMD CEO Mainardo de Nardis
Mainardo de Nardis

Pros
  • In fact, working with such great people is the only thing keeping most of the office around (in 7 reviews)

• The work environment encourages good work, with a comfortable office and working space (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be good or bad, depending upon the account (in 11 reviews)

• long hours due to client demands and quick turnaround needed (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great perks, Not great pay.

Current Employee - Assistant Negotiator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Negotiator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OMD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks: free lunches, event tickets, friendly people, great work environment.

Cons

The pay isn't as great as anyone would like it to be.

So Far So Goo

Current Employee - Client Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at OMD as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

One of the biggest media agencies. A lot of exposure

Cons

Hours can be long at times

I had much fun learning a lot

Current Employee - Assistant Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at OMD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on resume, offers tremendous insights to the industry, many perks. Honestly, everything depends on the team and your boss.

Cons

Low salary. Perhaps, it's part of industry standards, not sure. Other than that, working at OMD is a fun and awesome experience.

Build a more cohesive culture so talents want to stay.

OMD has great accounts that are high profile and look great on a resume.

I have been working at OMD

Pros

Great accounts, exposure to more senior people, much more oraganized than previous agencies I've been at, smart processes

Cons

Once you're in a position, it's hard to get promoted. Seems like senior people keep you where you are for their own benefit, because they don't want to replace you.

If talent is your main priority, then listen to your young talent, because they are the future of your agency.

OMD is a work in progress

Current Employee - Associate Media Director
    Current Employee - Associate Media Director

I have been working at OMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people within the agency and the client rosters.

Cons

politics is getting thick, lack of resources in company reorg structure, pay is not competitive

work life balance, office culture

Strategic Media Planner and Buyer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at OMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great accounts, agency is doing well in the industry, good work holidays

Cons

salary, long hours, segregated departments

Very disappointed with OMD Chicago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at OMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your team, you can have some really awesome co-workers. Things can be a little cliquey with some of the teams but everyone warms up once you talk to them. People are so supportive and willing to go out of their way to help if you ask, and I can truly say that I loved almost every single person I worked with.

Vendor perks were always great and softened the blow that your social life will basically go down the toilet while working here. OMD does look really good on a resume but seriously, get some experience and get out.

Also, the toilet paper is so damn cheap that if you peel the layers (2-ply, people. So lovely for the tush) apart, it makes fantastic blotting paper.

Cons

I have been waiting to post so that I wouldn't go off on a tirade but alas, even waiting can't stop this. There are so many cons with OMD Chicago that I don't even know where to begin. The morale in the office is abysmal and nothing is being done to improve it. Like other posters mentioned, we had a meeting with the President of the Midwest and the burden was put on the employees to change things. Let's see...most teams are already completely understaffed and upper management does not know how to tell the clients "No." Then you get people (pulled from those understaffed teams) that are basically told they are going to help pitch new business. And oh wait, while you are dedicating 60+ hours per week to said new business, you better make sure that you are getting your regular work done, as well. Because if you don't, it is going to get pushed onto your poor teammates and then they will resent you. So with all this, when exactly are we supposed to have time to fix the company? I barely had enough time to eat lunch. Why don't the higher ups hire enough people to get the work done, stop pitching for new business and learn to control the clients they already have? News flash: happy employees are more willing to work hard and do that extra work for you and then you won't have a slew of 1 star reviews online.

My other big beef with this company wide meeting was when we were flat out lied to and everyone knew it. I only caught one thing (the talent forum business. A member of upper management said this was NOT the only way you could get moved up and that they don't even happen quarterly like Trish, the President, said), but others that I spoke to afterward picked out some things too. I can't remember them all but the hiring freeze was one. All I know is that I completely tuned out after I heard the load of bull that was being fed to us and I seriously believe that the meeting did more harm than good. I do, however, remember Trish mentioning that people were rotated and promoted based on the work they have done, not how long they have been at OMD. Excuse me? I know one case where the poor girl worked her butt off but business kept getting shuffled around between offices and they kept telling her "soon, soon" until it had almost been TWO YEARS. And yes, she is a stellar worker. And then you get the Walgreens team who had their Assistants promoted right at a year, with some even before that. (Walgreens team, major kudos you, you do deserve recognition for onboarding a client, etc., I just know other people at OMD who have worked just as hard and who are not recognized in this way) It's just disrespectful to basically tell people in a huge meeting that they haven't been promoted because they aren't working hard enough. And get this: if you bring this warped promotion process up (nicely, don't be a jerk) at your exit interview, HR will tell you that promotions from Assistant to Strat are generally pushed through at the year mark. Okay...so which one is it? You might want to connect with HR on that point, Trish, because they are undermining your lie. Just be real and say that promotions happen when it is most beneficial to the company, not to people's individual careers.

HR also has this trick where they hire over qualified people into Assistant positions so that they don't have to pay them as much/can suck the life and productivity out of them as cheaply as possible. I know of two cases where girls were hired with the promise that they would be on a "fast track" to get promoted up to Strats since they had previous marketing/media experience. That is laughable. A year and 4 months later they were both still Assistants. Lesson here: get those "promises" in writing before you accept an offer.

So then this brings us to pay. When you start as an Assistant you will be making absolutely no money. Since it is an entry level job, I honestly think that it is ok. BUT, at this level of pay, you CANNOT expect your Assistants to be at the office until 7:30-8pm every night. I have no other issues with the pay because I feel that once you reach Strat level, you make enough to put some $$ away for a rainy day. Even more if you come from another agency and negotiate a higher salary.

Don't even get me started on the poor DM team. I dont think Glassdoor has enough space for that rant.

I've noticed that I have written a novel here so in conclusion, when people are fleeing OMD to go to other agencies, taking pay cuts, or even leaving without having new jobs, you know there is a problem. I think that the way employees are treated at OMD is deplorable and that if you haven't already left, you really should try to find a job that values you.

Have some respect for your employees. Their job isn't to be your secretary, your doormat, or your disposable workhorse.

Be part of the Best

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely smart and knowledgeable people work here, all very passionate about their work and always seem to strive to do the best for the client. Pushing the envelope on what it means to be "innovative". Great downtown location

Cons

Some late nights but that's to be expected in this industry

Great Place to Work

I have been working at OMD

Pros

Great place to work and learn. Excellent.

Cons

None that comes to mind

OMD Truthful Review

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OMD full-time

Pros

Stellar team members and clients

Cons

Leadership, vision, structure, culture, staffing, career growth, losing clients and valued employees at a dangerous rate