OMSI Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

3.2

CEO

Working in a world of wonder and whimsy

Current Employee - Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working with a group of dedicated, ultra-intelligent people with BIG ideas and, for the most part, the resources to implement those ideas.

Cons

Financially, OMSI has it tough. Therefore job security is not really known here. Lay offs are frequent and deep.

Keep up the good work. Keep fighting for every dollar. Someday, we will reach more stable financial footing.

Fun!

Former Employee - Summer Classes Aftercare Provider  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Summer Classes Aftercare Provider in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company really cares about its employees and it's FUN to work at a museum designed for kids (and adults who like to explore and learn). All the employees, including the managers, are super nice and welcoming.

Cons

My only complaint was the lack of breaks. Because of the number of kids in the classes and the low number of teachers per class, if one teacher takes a break, then the other teacher is overwhelmed. So we never took breaks, but really needed them! And the management basically enforced this no-break policy, until someone complained and HR made the managers give us breaks.

Ok

I worked at OMSI

Pros

Great benefits. Time off, vacation days, sick days, etc. The HR department is very interested in helping you have the best experience.

Cons

I worked at Hancock Field Station, no at the main OMSI in Portland, so my experience is a bit different. The management at Hancock is pretty bad. No one seemed like the wanted to be there. There is a big turn over rate partly due to living in isolation in Fossil. The hours are extreme, especially when being paid daily.

Make sure management wants to be there. Enthusiasm is contagious.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On balance, it's good.

I have been working at OMSI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have to laugh when reading these reviews. Clearly there are folks who drink the kool aid. There are others who are bitter and should probably just go look for another job. OMSI is a wonderful institution beloved by everyone in Oregon. It has an amazing mission and some extremely smart, hard working people who care about the work they do and the lives they are impacting.

Cons

There is some friction between departments on occasion and also some miscommunication between employees. But in my experience, this is the same wherever I've worked. The difference to me, is that here people seem to genuinely want to resolve issues and make OMSI a better place.

Listen, but know how to separate the real feedback from the squeaky wheels.

A thoroughly depressing experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can watch some of the movies and see the exhibits for free. Working in a non-profit "educational" environment allows you to interact with the community, often through fun events.

Cons

Very high turnover rate. Facilities in disrepair and infested with rodents. Management has expressed a notable disdain for hourly employees, and in the past has used several opportunities to notify staff that they are replaceable and not expected to stay for long. Part time employees often work full time hours due to poor management and scheduling. Part time workers do not receive set schedules, meaning you will be expected to work weekends, holidays, late nights, and will rarely receive two days off in a row. Shifts are often less than 5 hours. Because of the lack of communication between departments, work schedules are often distributed the day before the work week starts and employees are expected to remain on call during their time off. Employees are often told by upper management to lie to customers about price increases, discontinued services, and upcoming programming.

Listen to feedback from employees and customers

What's in a name?

I have been working at OMSI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The prestige of working at a place everyone loves. Feel good factor about working with kids.

Cons

Lack of focus. Museum in disrepair with funds put towards projects that most visitors will never experience. Teams don't work well together. Managers not held accountable. Senior management don't appear to ever be in agreement with each other.

Stop trying to be all things to all people and focus.

don't work here

I have been working at OMSI full-time

Pros

lots of places to work, good people

Cons

administration sucks. don't communicate, don't encourage employees, never come to see us at work.

leave

Depends on department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI

Pros

- Good, fun atmosphere
    - Great people, effective at what they do
    - Rewarding work
    - Free entrance to museum

Cons

- Job security depends on economy. Lots of layoffs over the past couple years, but the ship seems to be righting itself as the economy gets better.
    - Some politics depending on your department.

You did what you had to to survive the recession. Listen to the customers better and OMSI's future will be bright.

Worked for OMSI? Contribute to the Community!