ON Search Partners Reviews

Reset
3.8
CEO

1. Fantastic growth platform

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Unfiltered access to both internal and external clients. At a larger firm, you're going to have a bit more cover at times, but that also allows you to be complacent and rely on the brand or other resources in order to be successful.
    -No glass ceilings. It doesn't matter how old you are - if you can bring in business and execute at a high level, you will be promoted and given the opportunity to make a lot of money (but you only get to that point by earning it and having the market validation).
    -You have the flexibility of a smaller firm while still working with clients like Airbnb, Samsung, Cisco, Comcast, Cree, etc. You couldn't ask for a better client list for a boutique firm.
    -Partners grew up in search. One of the biggest challenges for people growing in this industry is that many Partners are brought over from industry and may lack the ability or interest to really learn how to execute searches. At ONSP, just about every Partner grew up from Research to being a big biller. This track record gives a tremendous amount of credibility to the mentoring process.
    -Very flexible working environment. Just get your work done – no one is sitting outside of your door with a clock. Eventually your work will suffer if you aren’t putting in the time. If you are an adult and understand the opportunity in front of you, you’ll take care of business.

Cons

-Since the Partners came from search, you can’t pull wool over their eyes. You aren’t completely held responsible for results, but you are held responsible for a process.
    -The upside is very focused on the Partners. If you are not interested in becoming a Partner and building a practice, this will be a challenging long term platform. On the flipside, there are a number of people who have left the firm and been extremely successful in new client-side environments. Regardless of the long term motivation, you are working in a tier 1 training group that can accelerate personal growth.
    -You have to work a bit harder as a boutique firm – this is quickly changing. We have almost doubled over the last year so that brand cache is accelerating

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We have a disruptive platform and we need to continue to recruit high potential Associates & Directors to support and grow this business.

2. Executive search success, learned a ton!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time

Pros

The project search work is interesting if you like to learn about diverse industries-lots of cool technology and life sciences clients. I have learned a lot about broad business working with venture capital backed start-ups to Fortune 500. Some of the Partners take a genuine interest in me and my career. While the work is demanding, the ability to go from earning $85,000 to $300,000 after 4-5 years with the firm is real (IF you can personally develop business). I don’t know a lot of jobs like that in Cleveland-or anywhere for that matter. Great Christmas parties and annual profit sharing earn a thumbs up too.

Cons

Longer hours (50 norm) and consistent pressure seems to be common for employees at all levels. That may be the executive search industry standard however, as it seems there is inherent stress from clients who need to rapidly fill the open positions. If you are easily stressed out this is the wrong company (and maybe industry) to join.

Advice to Management

Time spent from consultants helped me grow to become a more confident and independent business savvy person. The time spent with clients and learning their businesses was critical to closing a project, I was glad to be given the trust to move forward.

3. Great at self-promotion to clients, lousy at living those values with employees

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ON Search Partners

Pros

Some of the consultants have been in the industry for years, and came from competitors in which extremely long hours were the norm. So, they understand the requirements to succeed in the business.

Cons

Partners may all carry the same business card but are essentially a group of individual consultants, each with completely different styles. Some partners have solid values, others I would not introduce to even my enemies. Work-life balance is not to be used for the most part. Booking searches strictly for the revenue is rewarded above all else.

Advice to Management

What goes around eventually comes back around.

5. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a competitor, I already knew what kind of challenges the nature of executive search entails. The culture at OnSearch really fosters a healthy environment to best deal with the daily struggles of search work. The Partners are willing to help, and there is an overall strong sense of respect among all employees. You are meant to feel like an important part of the company, and not just another employee.

Cons

The work itself is tough. Being a smaller firm, there isn't access to all of the resources and databases that you might find in a larger firm. Communication is key. You have to speak up if you feel you need any help.

6. An entrepreneurial firm with a pathway to success

Current Employee - Vice President in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Solon, OH

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A highly entrepreneurial firm with a culture of hard work and accountability. Every day you're learning about new companies, new industries, and new technologies. You learn process, organization and people management. You learn how to be a value-add (and trusted) consultant/partner to clients, both internal and external. Different than large firms/companies, here your career path and acceleration rests on your shoulders. The partners are good at what they do. Each one is different. You can learn a lot from them…their style, communication/interactions, how they manage their clients, the search process, etc. They’re successful for a reason. Use that as a foundation and make it your own. They have a genuine and vested interest in your success. Like any "high-reward" opportunity, a great work ethic is required to be successful.

Cons

Balancing multiple projects, all in various stages of the search cycle, can be challenging. No two days are the same. Thick skin is a must. Long hours at times (especially starting out), but not as bad as accounting/law firms.

Advice to Management

People development is key. Mentor. Continue to connect the dots/show line-of-sight from associate to partner. The upside is compelling/motivating.

7. You work hard, but lean a ton!

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a ton about business models, structures of companies, funding, investment, etc. Learned to be more consultative to clients and candidates. Don't view myself as 'just a recruiter." Culture is one of accountability. If you want to succeed here, you can, but if laid back, not the place for you. Learned about time management, how to manage poeple, how to finish, even when projects are tough. The partners I work with 'care'....want me to succeed. Partners are young, aggressive and very successful. This is motivating. ,

Cons

Some days are good, some are tough. Some projects go well, some do not. There are highs and lows in this business, must learn to manage and press on. In the early part of my training, long hours, many things to learn....this got better as time progressed.

Advice to Management

For me, the culture motivates. I see success in front of me. Continue to invest in employee training.

8. Boutique firm with Tier 1 Executive Search Firm results

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial. ~25 employee firm and growing. Every role matters in this company vs. large corporate cog in the wheel. Very little political nonsense given the size of our firm.

We are an Inc 5000 rapidly growing company in terms of revenue and personnel. We are widely recognized as a top 20 retained executive search firm globally.

High levels of responsibility very quickly. The firm will add to your workload and responsibilities as you are ready.

You are exposed to and are working with some of the most impressive executives, companies, and VC's/PE's in the world early on in your career. This is unmatched in virtually any other career path.

You are learning something new with every single project (new industry, technology, function, talent pool, etc). Good for the intellectually curious.

In terms of work life balance, we work hard but for the most part you manage your own hours/schedule.

Virtually unlimited earning potential in Partnership track.

Cons

This business (not exclusive to this firm) is not for the faint of heart. It is a tough business. The work can be a grind and you have to keep your eye on the prize and remain patient.

Entrepreneurial environment works both ways. Limited structure. A lot of responsibility with limited training. You must be a self starter, no hand holding/limited direction.

Communication is limited at times. It is up to you (individually) to over-communicate with various team-members. If desired, your questions will be answered but it may take some digging/persistence.

A majority of your progression/success lies on your own shoulders. This can be seen as a positive or negative. You are not held back to progress in your role, but you have somewhat limited resources in getting there. You get back what you put in (for the most part).

The good outweighs the bad here.

Advice to Management

Leadership is addressing many of the 'cons' listed above.

Keep lines of communication open.

Encourage growth at all levels of the organization and provide specific/defined developmental opportunities for non-partners.

Most importantly, have fun! Continue to explore ways of creating an excellent working culture. We all work very hard, as described. It is important that we have a lot of fun in our day to day to keep spirits/enthusiasm high as we continue to grow as a firm.

9. Overpromise and under deliver severely

Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH

I worked at ON Search Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees are pleasant. Many people pour their heart into satisfying the Partners / clients.

Partners personalities vary greatly as well as expectations and how they want to run their searches. Some have a lot of knowledge and a willingness to teach / train. Their training is intense but very short. I learned a lot about executive recruiting.

Christmas Party was great.

Health Benefits are very fair, though prices were set to increase in 2013.

They are focused on growth and climbing up compared to their competitors.

Cons

The hours are expected at 12+ hour days but to be available 24/7. They claim they spent their careers working long hours and demand it in their employees. They assume if you aren't stressed to the max, you need more work. If aren't working weekend, you need more work.

The training was abrupt without any time to ask questions. The company has basic documents, but no unified structure on how to do things. Changes from Partner to Partner and by mood. Some a very mean and overbearing. Others are rational people.

Management are bullies with egos, I've seen and heard them make junior employees cry. They are also the most moody guys I've ever met. They don't like anyone to challenge or question them and will intimidate and threaten you behind closed doors.

Advancement is impossible if you get on the "bad side" of senior management. They flaunt their wealth while paying very low bases and having a tepid commission structure.

Advice to Management

Don't claim you will be making 6-figures shortly if you structure it to be nearly impossible. Be honest to candidates.

The iron fist and intimidation approach is a horrible way to run a business.

RSS Feed </> Embed