ON Search Partners

ON Search Partners Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

An entrepreneurial firm with a pathway to success

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Solon, OH

ProsA highly entrepreneurial firm with a culture of hard work and accountability. Every day you're learning about new companies, new industries, and new technologies. You learn process, organization and people management. You learn how to be a value-add (and trusted) consultant/partner to clients, both internal and external. Different than large firms/companies, here your career path and acceleration rests on your shoulders. The partners are good at what they do. Each one is different. You can learn a lot from them…their style, communication/interactions, how they manage their clients, the search process, etc. They’re successful for a reason. Use that as a foundation and make it your own. They have a genuine and vested interest in your success. Like any "high-reward" opportunity, a great work ethic is required to be successful.

ConsBalancing multiple projects, all in various stages of the search cycle, can be challenging. No two days are the same. Thick skin is a must. Long hours at times (especially starting out), but not as bad as accounting/law firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople development is key. Mentor. Continue to connect the dots/show line-of-sight from associate to partner. The upside is compelling/motivating.

Great Place to Work

Baltimore, MD

ProsComing from a competitor, I already knew what kind of challenges the nature of executive search entails. The culture at OnSearch really fosters a healthy environment to best deal with the daily struggles of search work. The Partners are willing to help, and there is an overall strong sense of respect among all employees. You are meant to feel like an important part of the company, and not just another employee.

ConsThe work itself is tough. Being a smaller firm, there isn't access to all of the resources and databases that you might find in a larger firm. Communication is key. You have to speak up if you feel you need any help.

You work hard, but lean a ton!

Dallas, TX

ProsLearned a ton about business models, structures of companies, funding, investment, etc. Learned to be more consultative to clients and candidates. Don't view myself as 'just a recruiter." Culture is one of accountability. If you want to succeed here, you can, but if laid back, not the place for you. Learned about time management, how to manage poeple, how to finish, even when projects are tough. The partners I work with 'care'....want me to succeed. Partners are young, aggressive and very successful. This is motivating. ,

ConsSome days are good, some are tough. Some projects go well, some do not. There are highs and lows in this business, must learn to manage and press on. In the early part of my training, long hours, many things to learn....this got better as time progressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor me, the culture motivates. I see success in front of me. Continue to invest in employee training.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boutique firm with Tier 1 Executive Search Firm results

Dallas, TX

ProsEntrepreneurial. ~25 employee firm and growing. Every role matters in this company vs. large corporate cog in the wheel. Very little political nonsense given the size of our firm.

We are an Inc 5000 rapidly growing company in terms of revenue and personnel. We are widely recognized as a top 20 retained executive search firm globally.

High levels of responsibility very quickly. The firm will add to your workload and responsibilities as you are ready.

You are exposed to and are working with some of the most impressive executives, companies, and VC's/PE's in the world early on in your career. This is unmatched in virtually any other career path.

You are learning something new with every single project (new industry, technology, function, talent pool, etc). Good for the intellectually curious.

In terms of work life balance, we work hard but for the most part you manage your own hours/schedule.

Virtually unlimited earning potential in Partnership track.

ConsThis business (not exclusive to this firm) is not for the faint of heart. It is a tough business. The work can be a grind and you have to keep your eye on the prize and remain patient.

Entrepreneurial environment works both ways. Limited structure. A lot of responsibility with limited training. You must be a self starter, no hand holding/limited direction.

Communication is limited at times. It is up to you (individually) to over-communicate with various team-members. If desired, your questions will be answered but it may take some digging/persistence.

A majority of your progression/success lies on your own shoulders. This can be seen as a positive or negative. You are not held back to progress in your role, but you have somewhat limited resources in getting there. You get back what you put in (for the most part).

The good outweighs the bad here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is addressing many of the 'cons' listed above.

Keep lines of communication open.

Encourage growth at all levels of the organization and provide specific/defined developmental opportunities for non-partners.

Most importantly, have fun! Continue to explore ways of creating an excellent working culture. We all work very hard, as described. It is important that we have a lot of fun in our day to day to keep spirits/enthusiasm high as we continue to grow as a firm.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overpromise and under deliver severely

Recruiter (Former Employee)
    Solon, OH

ProsSome of the employees are pleasant. Many people pour their heart into satisfying the Partners / clients.

Partners personalities vary greatly as well as expectations and how they want to run their searches. Some have a lot of knowledge and a willingness to teach / train. Their training is intense but very short. I learned a lot about executive recruiting.

Christmas Party was great.

Health Benefits are very fair, though prices were set to increase in 2013.

They are focused on growth and climbing up compared to their competitors.

ConsThe hours are expected at 12+ hour days but to be available 24/7. They claim they spent their careers working long hours and demand it in their employees. They assume if you aren't stressed to the max, you need more work. If aren't working weekend, you need more work.

The training was abrupt without any time to ask questions. The company has basic documents, but no unified structure on how to do things. Changes from Partner to Partner and by mood. Some a very mean and overbearing. Others are rational people.

Management are bullies with egos, I've seen and heard them make junior employees cry. They are also the most moody guys I've ever met. They don't like anyone to challenge or question them and will intimidate and threaten you behind closed doors.

Advancement is impossible if you get on the "bad side" of senior management. They flaunt their wealth while paying very low bases and having a tepid commission structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't claim you will be making 6-figures shortly if you structure it to be nearly impossible. Be honest to candidates.

The iron fist and intimidation approach is a horrible way to run a business.

Worked for ON Search Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ON Search Partners reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by ON Search Partners employees.