ON Semiconductor
www.onsemi.com Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

ON Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014
ON Semiconductor – “On Semiconductor”

ON Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Keith D. Jackson

Keith D. Jackson

Pros:
  • "Depending on role work/life balance is pretty good (few people put in more work than they have to)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Some very good people work at ON Semi"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "politics, intimidation, humiliation as motivation, old boy network"
    in 4 reviews
  • "very low opportunity for career advancement (your current position is likely yours for 10 years)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior Design Engineer

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFlexible environment. Good location and facility.

ConsManagements do not really care about retaining talent people.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee feedback.

Senior Design Engineer

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pocatello, ID

ProsNice town to work in

ConsNo change to move up, stale team members, no one ever moves on and chance for advancement in a small town in 0

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your homework, allow advancement withing the ranks.

Good , would have been better

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat work environment and very friendly people .Manager assigned works based on my abilities, he has been very helpful .There are always people to help you out .

ConsNot many opportunities for growth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Layoffs and forced time off

Product Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to work with some world-class companies as customers, both large and small.

Some very good people work at ON Semi. I made good friends I will keep in contact with for years to come.

A U.S.-based semiconductor company, which is rare these days.

ON Semi devices are literally in everything. Crack open an electronic device and chances are good you will find at least one ON chip on the board, if not more.

Truly an international company. There are many opportunities to work with people in different countries and from different cultures. You can learn a lot and get good international experience.

Benefits are pretty standard but solid. The employee stock purchase program gives a generous 15% discount, when many companies give only 5%.

Every once in a while the company will sponsor a get together, barbecue lunch or even trip to an amusement park. This only happens in fairly good times, though, and they're pretty spread apart.

If you need to travel for business, accommodations and meal reimbursements are reasonable.

ConsCompany is very focused on the short-term. In the last four years there have been four rounds of layoffs. Yet I still saw senior managers driving luxury rental cars on the company dime. When someone leaves, their position is often not back-filled, and everyone else has to just do more work to make up for it. Same for laid-off positions.

Forced time off is an annual tradition. Plan on using a large block of your vacation every year around Christmas and New Year's. Additionally, over the past couple of years it has become common for management to require 10 days of vacation time to be used in a quarter, usually in calendar Q1 or Q4, or both. If you want to take vacation in the summer, there's always the option of going unpaid during forced shut downs. And this isn't just manufacturing - all employees are required to take the time off unless they are somehow protected by local law.

Business units are extremely siloed and many managers try to build up their own private fiefdoms. There is little coordination or cooperation between separate groups or business units, even when they're in the same physical location or they report to the same senior manager.

ON Semi's spree of buying companies or parts of companies seems like a good thing, but it just results in more layoffs at both the acquired company and the parent company. Integration generally goes poorly.

The workplace is mostly made up of lifers who have survived round after round of job cuts and consolidation. It can be difficult to fit in if you weren't with the company 15 or more years ago. There are some very good people, but there are also those who seem to be promoted because being a jerk is a desired managerial trait.

Technologically, ON Semi is mid-range at best, a laggard at worst. "Cutting-edge" is a phrase you will likely never hear tied to ON Semiconductor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese aren't the old Motorola glory days anymore. Running a sweatshop while acting like you're corporate royalty may please investors in the short term, but you're steadily building a company full of jaded, overworked people. Many stay because they don't want to make a life change but others will leave as soon as better opportunities comes along.

Need to do more for employee morale

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsOpportunity for movement and growth around the company (ie will allow to transfer easily between departments). Will look good on a resume as it is a large international company. Lets you work from home as often as you want, flex schedule

ConsForced time off, negative vacation! Hire horrible, inexperienced managers. Very political environment with lots of office drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better research on your new hires. Get rid of the old workers who are eating up the payroll and maybe we wouldn't have to take so much forced time off. And do something nice for your employees!

good company for long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosstable, get good balance between work and life.

Conslittle opportunity for career improvement.

An excellent place to train your off shore replacements

Tax Director (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe people there really are great to work with. Compensation is decent, benefits are good. IT systems are marginal - designed for minimizing IT cost, not user productity/satisfaction

ConsUsed to have Great people, but whittled down to just good people. Never ending move of jobs offshore, and appearantly no interest in being part of a US jobs program. Work 10-12 hr days, forget a night life with calls to asia.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a profit sharing program, or a much broader stock participation program instead of keeping 90% at the top levels. Stop treating employees like the don't have other options just because there is no work in Phoenix.

Does not hire Qualified Veterans.

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThey looked good at the "Hiring Our Veterans", Job Fair. My friend qualified for the open maintenance technician position. HR saw His resume at the job fair and said to him, "We would like to have you". Thou, HR did not reply to his application and resume.

ConsPolitics, Politics, Politics!!! What a slap in the face to every veteran that applied to ON at the "Hiring Our Veterans", Job Fair. He was told to go online and apply. While all this time they got publicity from the news Paper and TV. They did not want to hire a qualified veteran. If it were not for veterans, there would be no ON. Mad, you bet I am Mad. They used military veterans just for advertizing their company ON name. I plan on quiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the very ones whom are willing to die for your freedom. What is wrong with your HR Department? I bet that you could not count the veterans you have hired at ON on one hand. Shame on you!!!

Components manufacturer tries to branch out, not very successfully.

Engineering Management (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsIt's better than not working. Many good people at the company. You can hide out forever, if you keep your head down.

ConsManagement is very "Motorola" centric. If you're from Moto, you do okay at ON. Otherwise, you are treated like a conquered country. Nobody tells the truth. At the monthly reviews, almost all projects are reported as on time, when most of them are slipping hugely. If you dare to tell the truth, you are shown the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shooting the messenger. Reward people who are brave enough to speak the truth, regardless of how painful it is. You cannot make good business decisions with bad data.

Good experience

Product Marketing (Former Employee)
    Pocatello, ID

ProsManagement is easy to talk to. Salaries are fair, especially given the fact we live in a low cost area of the country.

ConsThey "have" you because they're the only semiconductor game in town, and most people don't want to move away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet thinking about how you're going to better compete against standard products.

Worked for ON Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ON Semiconductor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ON Semiconductor CEO Keith D. Jackson. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by ON Semiconductor employees.