ON Semiconductor
www.onsemi.com Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

ON Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
ON Semiconductor – “On Semiconductor”

ON Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Keith D. Jackson

Keith D. Jackson

Pros:
  • "Depending on role work/life balance is pretty good (few people put in more work than they have to)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Some very good people work at ON Semi"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "politics, intimidation, humiliation as motivation, old boy network"
    in 4 reviews
  • "very low opportunity for career advancement (your current position is likely yours for 10 years)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Need to do more for employee morale

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity for movement and growth around the company (ie will allow to transfer easily between departments). Will look good on a resume as it is a large international company. Lets you work from home as often as you want, flex schedule

ConsForced time off, negative vacation! Hire horrible, inexperienced managers. Very political environment with lots of office drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better research on your new hires. Get rid of the old workers who are eating up the payroll and maybe we wouldn't have to take so much forced time off. And do something nice for your employees!

good company for long term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time

Prosstable, get good balance between work and life.

Conslittle opportunity for career improvement.

Outstanding work environment

Test Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time for less than a year

ProsThe place offers excellent working environment with a lot of opportunities to learn from your colleagues and plenty of challenges. A lot of high quality interaction with the management makes working here a pleasure.

ConsPerks and privileges are average which is not good enough if you are trying to attract top talent. Not enough appraisal from very high management on the hard work done at the group, many things taken for granted. Company is crippled by Unions that do not allow to differentiate between hard workers and not so hard workers. Not many chances for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR philosophy needs to be changed. Better perks and privilege are needed to retain and attract top talent.

An excellent place to train your off shore replacements

Tax Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people there really are great to work with. Compensation is decent, benefits are good. IT systems are marginal - designed for minimizing IT cost, not user productity/satisfaction

ConsUsed to have Great people, but whittled down to just good people. Never ending move of jobs offshore, and appearantly no interest in being part of a US jobs program. Work 10-12 hr days, forget a night life with calls to asia.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a profit sharing program, or a much broader stock participation program instead of keeping 90% at the top levels. Stop treating employees like the don't have other options just because there is no work in Phoenix.

Does not hire Qualified Veterans.

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey looked good at the "Hiring Our Veterans", Job Fair. My friend qualified for the open maintenance technician position. HR saw His resume at the job fair and said to him, "We would like to have you". Thou, HR did not reply to his application and resume.

ConsPolitics, Politics, Politics!!! What a slap in the face to every veteran that applied to ON at the "Hiring Our Veterans", Job Fair. He was told to go online and apply. While all this time they got publicity from the news Paper and TV. They did not want to hire a qualified veteran. If it were not for veterans, there would be no ON. Mad, you bet I am Mad. They used military veterans just for advertizing their company ON name. I plan on quiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the very ones whom are willing to die for your freedom. What is wrong with your HR Department? I bet that you could not count the veterans you have hired at ON on one hand. Shame on you!!!

An excellent work environment that keeps you learning and challenged, but poor corporate culture hampers motivation.

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time

ProsLots of interesting work, and there's always something new to learn. Keeps you challenged.

ConsVery poor corporate culture. Get an obvious sense that the company doesn't care too much about the employees, only the shareholders and making profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion, employees are what make up the heart of the system. If it's not fed well, it will start to deteriorate, just like our bodies.

Components manufacturer tries to branch out, not very successfully.

Engineering Management (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's better than not working. Many good people at the company. You can hide out forever, if you keep your head down.

ConsManagement is very "Motorola" centric. If you're from Moto, you do okay at ON. Otherwise, you are treated like a conquered country. Nobody tells the truth. At the monthly reviews, almost all projects are reported as on time, when most of them are slipping hugely. If you dare to tell the truth, you are shown the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shooting the messenger. Reward people who are brave enough to speak the truth, regardless of how painful it is. You cannot make good business decisions with bad data.

Senior Product Engineer

Senior Product Engineer (Current Employee)
Oudenaarde (Belgium)

I have been working at ON Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsJob variety. Different areas of interest going from design participation, program management participation, cost reduction participation, test engineering.

ConsLarge paperwork and support involved in the job.

lack of support from superiors

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the people that I worked with were true and honest. Everyone seemed to be struggling with enormous amount of work and little support from superiors.

ConsBenefits are cut drastically. HR does not support employees. Staff cuts are too drastic. Can not trust what management or HR is stating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrastic cuts to staff and benefits are forcing employees and potential employees to look elsewhere. You will be left with little staff to get through the next few years

On semi power mgmt leader

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

ProsGood training ground for engineers

ConsSignificant upper mgmt change recently, hopefully it is for the better

Worked for ON Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ON Semiconductor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ON Semiconductor CEO Keith D. Jackson. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by ON Semiconductor employees.