ON Semiconductor Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.9

ON Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Keith D. Jackson
Keith D. Jackson

Pros
  • Depending on role work/life balance is pretty good (few people put in more work than they have to) (in 8 reviews)

• Some very good people work at ON Semi (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • politics, intimidation, humiliation as motivation, old boy network (in 4 reviews)

• very low opportunity for career advancement (your current position is likely yours for 10 years) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay, interesting work, BAD manager!

Current Employee - Systems Technician  in  Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - Systems Technician in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

The work is fast paced and interesting. The pay is competitive, and the offered benefits are really good.

Cons

Management is several departments are very poor. This company often promotes based on seniority, not by any measurable leadership abilities.
    For example:My manager is really bad at all things related to leadership, but really knows how to do the individual jobs of his team.

Start hiring managers to lead groups, it will make a difference!

Loved it!

Former Employee - Developer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor

Pros

The manager of the technical team I worked on was terrific.

Cons

Work environment somewhat depressing. Think Joe vs. the Volcano.

Good place overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

very relax and managements are very nice. They will work with you to become successful in your career. They can be both mentors and your managers.

Cons

It is very hard to understand the acronyms that they talk about in meetings. You are on your own in figuring out what they mean.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and boring all at once

Current Employee - Intern I  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Intern I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

Intern work load can be a lot, but overall its easy. You never end up taking your work home which is nice. You get the chance to network a lot and during the summer, there is a big emphasis on making sure that interns have fun as there are lots of activities and events going on then.

Cons

If you want a more demanding experience as an intern, intern somewhere else. I personally feel as if I was rarely given any real responsibility and I don't like that. Communication can be good at times, but overall, if unless you're a manager, you tend to be left in the dark. Very siloed mentality overall exists.

Re-implement the rotational programs! Just be smart about it and actually do them for longer than 6 months if costs are a concern! Most companies attract and retain talent through such programs and they last 18 months per rotation usually. ON is losing out on talented individuals who aren't getting the opportunities to have the kind of experiences that they need coming straight out of college.

Procurement Director screamed and yelled and was highly insulting to both staff and vendors.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor

Pros

Many of the people in various departments and business units are well intentioned and work well together.

Cons

Procurement department management drives away staff and insults vendors. Teaming with internal customers is strongly discouraged. And HR doesn't seem to care.

Clean house in the Procurement department's management. ON should function as a team, and it hasn't been for awhile now.

My experience was ON was invaluable, as i learnt a lot of supply chain concepts, and was able to contribute effectively.

Current Employee - Global Supply Chain  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Global Supply Chain in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

It is a growing company in the semiconductor industry. Great scope for improvement and career opportunities within the Supply Chain Organization.

Cons

ON Semiconductor's culture and work environment is a little relaxed. It isn't a fast paced and dynamic work envirnment if you are expecting one.

Senior Management is doing a great job. They could also work on creating a solid college recuiting plan each year, so that they are able to capture the best talent from well known universities.

Very free place to work.

Former Employee - Applications Engineer Intern  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ON Semiconductor

Pros

-very relaxed atmosphere, everyone is pretty laid back
    -It was easy to ask questions, but you do not get a response immediately
    -as an engineer, if you go up into lab, the engineers/techs that work there are great. They help you set up lab equipment and show you where everything is that you need.

Cons

-Management does not communicate what it wants done on projects. You are kind of left to figure out some things on your own and hope it meets your manager's approval
    -Management does not communicate, period

n/a

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

sanyo acquisition. Revenue and Profit growth opportunity

Cons

too many Aquisitions happen in a shor time frame

Place to work

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Pocatello, ID

I worked at ON Semiconductor

Pros

Pocatello,ID is a nice area of the country to live
    Employees there are great to work with

Cons

If you loose your job in Pocatello, ID, there's not much around

Improve communication to lower level employees in the company

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ON Semiconductor

Pros

company seemed going in the right direction when I was working. But I don't know what happened after I left (it was in 2006). People are friendly and nice to work with.

Cons

Not challenging work. Did not seem much room for improvement. Management were fickle. The projects get drop every now and then and your work will be useless.

Management should take care in to selecting the projects and proper follow through. Stop rearranging so much and have a fixed goal for near future.

Worked for ON Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!