ONEOK

Be The First To
Add Photos

ONEOK CEO; President and CEO, ONEOK Partners John W. Gibson

John W. Gibson

If your not a yes man then forget it.

Operator (Current Employee)
Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at ONEOK full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIts a pay check and a JOB. The benefits are better than having none at all.

ConsEverything! Micromanagement from the top (Tulsa office cause they are KINGS) down. The Market based pay structor is used to not give any raises or salary adjustments. According to Oneok the market has not changed for 2 years and for some 4 years. Other companies have giving 3 to 3.5% COL's. If your not in the clique your're an expendable employee. Some have lost 5 to 7% bring home pay since we have been with Oneok. Not competitive as far as operations group, for the industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all the Ex-Koch and Enron folks out of the top positions in Tulsa. Koch was a horrible company to work for and Oneok has just be a name change and the culture has stayed the same.

Lost in transition

technical training supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros2 weeks vac to start ,6% match on 401K,On site cafeteria, free parking, paid tuition assistance, full of friendly hardworking people.

ConsMarket based pay is well under actual market. WELL UNDER! 2014 strategic guide was all about Northern assets when existing assets need attention. Lack of wellness and healthcare programs for a Fortune 500 and still no GYM in corporate headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at other successful companies that do the same business as we do and look at what they offer their employees. The motto is attract,develop, and retain yet a person with 10 years served can go less than a mile and work for a competitor making much more to start. Bright young people only start here to get work experience then leave to make money. It's the way it's always been.

A disappointing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ONEOK full-time

ProsReputable for being a company that is difficult to gain employment from, indicates a prestigious environment. I was pleased with my pay and most of my co-workers were genuinely wonderful people. Their vacation policy is better than most companies because they give you extra hours of vacation depending on your years of experience in that field.

ConsI took the job knowing it wouldn't be my preferred working environment, but hopeful I would move into a different group in a relatively short amount of time. They changed the transfer policy to a one-year waiting period within a few months of my employment but made exceptions at their own discretion. Other policies were similarly left up to manager discretion which allowed disparity in treatment of employees across departments; this caused contention and created morale issues. Their benefits appear to be fruitful on the surface but when claims were paid you realized the lack of actual coverage. They terminate insurance coverage on the day you leave vs. the end of the month, which is outside the norm of typical group insurance benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from your employees and pay close attention to turnover statistics in each group and department. Assess the information and make decisions based on that data. Keep an open mind and always explore the perceptions of your employees before making decisions that will ultimately harm the working relationship beyond repair. I experienced that frustration firsthand but also heard negative feedback from retirees in that regard.

"Myth of the Market Based Pay System"

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros2 weeks vac from start
Average benefits

ConsWhere do I start......
Market Based pay is a big sham. VP sat in the last meeting and simply stated that ONEOK will never be the top pay in any market. If you are just looking for top pay then ONEOK is not for you Per our VP.Then why is our CEO the top paid executive in Tulsa, OK? If I sat in a room with members from other energy companies in tulsa that do the same job I would be embarrased to bring up what I make yearly for the job. Your lower level supervisor's won't argue with you during reviews as they know this is true and losing people left and right because of it.

Keep trying to push wellness programs to finally catch up to what the rest of the industry has had or been available for the last 5 years. Oneok just talks and preaches wellness. They don't offer anything you couldn't go out and get on your own dime and probably should. Should offer some benefit dollars for keeping fit and maintaining good health.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring up the payscale for your employee's that still perform and even try to go above and beyond. Most are still trying to do an exceptional job for you. Let the folks that simply show up and sit on their rumps reap the supposed benefits of the market based pay and reward the people that you would like to see stick around and devolop into to leaders of this company. Stop bringing in new hire trainee's at with '0" experience at pay that people with 5-10 years are barely at. Makes no sense and only angers the people that have fought,kicked, and scratched for every raise they have received.

Morale in tank in TX

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ONEOK

ProsTexas Gas Service is part of ONEOK and you get decent benefits.
ONEOK in Oklahoma seems pretty stable, TX business unit tanking
Work hours in some areas of company are 8-5
Employee stock share program

ConsManagement and long-time employees were slashed and burned in last 6 months. New TGS management is even worse, but ONEOK Exec. team in OK does not know and does not care that great employees are jumping ship as a result. Micromanagement to a soul-crushing, disempowering degree. Torturous new time-consuming processes for field and engineering to get projects approved. Have implemented rules such as no talking to co-workers, reviewing times for entering and exiting building (for salaried employees), daily log of every email and call made to make sure employees are "really" working. Rules are necessary, but it had become more of a prison-style, toxic atmosphere than a productive, respectful workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO gives major lip service to "employee development" but on the state utility level in Texas, there is no such thing. You can't wipe your behind without asking for permission, much less go to a training or work development trip that could further growth. Advice: Stop the flow of great employees out the door by getting the TGS management from president on down to service center management in check...maybe listen to actual employees' feedback (service specifically). The ship is sinking-try to rectify it now or lose tons of marketshare to electric. Even HR is being browbeaten by new local management for hiring "bad" employees--but the robotic new management has no idea how to motivate and empower their new teams. Make local leadership care about employees or show them the door.

It is a work enviroment of friendly people

Pipeline Controller (Former Employee)

I worked at ONEOK

ProsFriendly work environment. Laid back.

ConsLow pay and there is a good old boy system in place, so getting promoted is not likely unless you are part of the fore-mentioned group.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to letting those who have the proper education and experience to advance without trying to cling to an employee because you are afraid to have to re-train a replacement.

Good company, under pays.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I worked at ONEOK full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome orientation program. Strong steady company. Good environment.

ConsBelow market pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider setting up a longer orientation program where you allow your new hires to advance. I know several who wanted to advance but weren't given the chance so they left and advanced elsewhere, including myself. I enjoyed my time there but you've got to reward innovation and drive more than you do.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

good job

Gas Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time for more than 5 years

Proslaid back atmosphere, good benefits, strong company to be with. They match 6% 401K and they are very involved in the community in Oklahoma.

ConsThe market based pay system seems to be very low in the market that you are in. Management won't argue with this they know it's true.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Don't let great employee's leave over pay.

Solid company with solid mgmt

Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at ONEOK

ProsAverage comp
Good bonus
Plenty of vacay
Great asset base
Laid back work place (at least at ONG)

ConsProfessional and career development are talked about but not specifically addressed nor are they acted upon.
Lots of dead weight in the work force and it seems ONG won't fire someone unless they break the law. This drags down the rest of the company.
Over staffed and not enough work to keep everyone busy. Typical of a quasi governmental entity like a utility.
Low wages compared to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate possible career development plans or processes to employees so they can have an attainable career goal to work towards.
Bump salary so employees won't leave.

Great Fortune 200 Company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrategic direction is focused and on track
Does not over reach its influence
Does not over react

ConsSalary at Market to just below market
Health Insurance not as strong as other companies

Worked for ONEOK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ONEOK reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ONEOK CEO John W. Gibson. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by ONEOK employees.