OPN Architects

opnarchitects.com

OPN Architects Reviews

4.3

Daniel Thies

OPN is a great company to work for!

Former Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at OPN Architects full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OPN has a innovative management team that allows employees creative freedom and provides a flexible work schedule. OPN has a great studio culture and attracts great clients to work for. OPN hires smart, talented, and enthusiastic people which creates a fun work atmosphere. Projects at OPN are challenging and rewarding and opportunities to learn about new technologies and products happen daily. Employees at all levels embrace a work-hard play-hard lifestyle. Fun activities are provided by the firm including parties celebrating team accomplishments as well as a yearly retreat visiting nearby cities to view great Architecture, discuss strategic goals, and mingle with peers.

Cons

Collaboration between the Cedar Rapids office and the Des Moines office happens more often at the Upper Management Level. In the future, OPN could find creative ways to better integrate the two studios for sharing of information and ideas; and also creating teams with members from both offices' based on team-members strengths and career goals.

Management at OPN showed tremendous trust in me as an employee, allowed me creative freedom, and provided amazing opportunities to expand my skill set. If Management continues to offer these opportunities to current/ future employees then OPN will continue to be a great company to work for!

Best place to work

Current Employee - Architect in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The studio environment at OPN is vibrant and exciting! There is so much collaboration in our office and the energy is amazing! I couldn't enjoy the people that work here more; they are like a second family for me. There have been so many great opportunities for me at OPN and this firm has helped me grow considerably in my career. I have been rewarded graciously for my work here. The Partners at OPN realize the efforts and hours put in to this career and compensate accordingly. I continue to love my job and the people I work with. We have a very casual work environment and flex hours, which I really enjoy. I am very excited about the design of structures OPN is creating and where we are headed in the future!

Cons

There will be good days and bad days at any job and one must understand first the career in architecture is a “professional” career and will require more time than others. There is always a work-life balance that people need to find.

keep pushing into the future through technologies, communication and design, and make OPN the best it can be

OPN truly is a great place to work - Inspired, Motivated, Dedicated.

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time

Pros

Several years of work experience elsewhere maybe provides me with some perspective that others might be lacking. That said, I can comfortably say that OPN is the best place that I have ever worked, professionally or otherwise. OPN is a smart, collaborative, and extremely creative group. The company offers tangible as well as intangible benefits that some utilize more effectively than others. We have flex hours, a flexible dress code, and fantastic technology that other companies may not be aware even exist. Internal committees are regularly assembled to tackle internal projects to ensure that we are doing everything the best that we can. OPN also encourages and accommodates involvement in the community in effort to give back. I believe that OPN is dedicated to doing the right thing.

Cons

Our attention to detail and our drive to perfection can result in hard work at times. While this can be difficult, I have yet to feel that this goes unappreciated. This is not a place where someone else will take credit for your work, we work together as a team and are rewarded as a team. Also, the dress code honestly may be a bit lax for a professional environment...

You are heading in a great direction, keep it up!

Work Hard. Work Smart. Have Fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at OPN Architects

Pros

There are a host of creative and dedicated people working at OPN; people who have vision and integrity and genuinely want to make an impact on their world. Hard work is expected, but it's also appreciated. Within the constraints of a highly-demanding discipline, OPN adopts a very humanistic approach to work. We have great parties and retreats and management facilitates casual opportunities to engage both offices. It's a fun place to be. That being said, if you don't like working hard, you won't like it here.

Cons

You will work long hours. Sometimes you will feel drained. The collaborative nature of the work means that sometimes your vision or idea will lose or you'll feel like you're spinning your wheels. Employee benefits could be improved. There's an unacknowledged reliance on hierarchy.

Listen to the people you have. Look for opportunities to foster dialogue in the studio.

OPN Architects- Long hours for mediocre pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at OPN Architects

Pros

Good Architecture Firm doing interesting projects with decent design. Good place to cut your teeth. Tried to have a family atmosphere until the economy got tight. Employees and firm are very involved with local charities. Good work atmosphere- feels like an architecture firm. Some advancement opportunities until PM level then very narrow bottle neck.

Cons

Limited opportunities to design unless you're 'chosen'. Plan to work 50+ hours per week or more. Extremely long work weeks are the culture of the company. They will burn you out then throw you away. They especially push new, young employees into very long work weeks. Compensation mediocre, bonuses do not even cover 1/4 of extra hours. You work to pay for your Ford so Principals can drive their 5 Series BMWs.

Spread the design work around to more people. Stop scheduling projects expecting people to work 50+ hours every week. Pay straight time for overtime then you might start to realize the amount of 'free' work you expect from employees.

Great place to work...

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time

Pros

OPN is a great place to work. The partners are approachable and listen and care about you, as individuals, and as members of the team. There are lots of "extras" that happen, like company picnics, celebrations, retreats, learning days, etc., that promote collaboration, team-building, and time to enjoy the hard work that happens! The work that we do is very diverse, giving employees exposure to lots of different project scopes. Employees are encouraged to champion things that they are passionate about, whether it be green-building or health and fitness. Lots of opportunities for growth, education, and success.

Cons

There are times that work is crazy....lots to accomplish and deadlines to meet, but this is because we get terrific projects and we want to produce great results for our clients.

OPN does great work

I have been working at OPN Architects full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flex hours ha been implemented for over a year now and have greatly assisted in balancing work and life. If you have a haircut, or a Dr. appoinment or a sick kid, you can take care of it and there are no issues. There is a trust within the studio that allows you to work how you need to to get the work done and this did not exist 5+ years ago - it is really nice!

Cons

We do work a lot of hours, but it is because the culture expects you to do your best work - we WANT to do our best work and will do what it takes to do it, which unfortunatley means working some tough hours every now and then.

Will break you like Ivan Drago

I worked at OPN Architects

Pros

First off, I worked there over ten years ago and I see not much has changed. I agree completely with the previous reviewer. The firm is doing good work. They are very involved in the community. Very professional atmosphere.

Cons

Again, I agree completely with the previous reviewer. Limited opportunities to design. Excessive working hours will test your personal relationships. Worked several weeks in excess of 80 hours. Did pull a couple of all-nighters. Worked there over three years and eventually chose my wife over that job. I was often too burned out from working to do anything in the little free time I had. Bonuses seemed great until you did the math. As for working so the Principals can drive their 5 Series BMWs, I saw a red Ferrari 360 in the parking lot last year.

Once again, I agree completely with the previous reviewer. Quit using some obscure overtime loophole and pay people for the hours they work.