OSF Healthcare System

Be The First To
Add Photos

OSF Healthcare System CEO Kevin Schoeplein

Kevin Schoeplein

Good place to work in central IL

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsGood benefits overall for full-time employees, standard on the job training with opportunities to specialise, larger hospital with many different units to work in.

ConsSub-par pay, very expensive benefits for part-time workers, hospital often spends money on image rather than employees or improving patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering more PTO or a more competitive pay scale with incentives to further education or speciality would do a lot to attract and keep staff.

Poised for excellence, if it were not for some of the management.

Supervisor of Sales and Marketing, OSF Systems Laboratory (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsSteady ship, good benefits, good learning opportunity among many areas of health care. Overall, this is a good place to learn the health care industry, clinical or non-clinical in nature. Looks great on a resume and employees can create many options for their future, outside of OSF.

ConsFor an organization that pays for Clint Studer principles, they are nearly totally lacking day to day. Management, in specific parts of the organization, has absolutely no current grasp on health care, cannot make decisions to meet with opportunities and is very poor in developing a positive culture that creates happy, productive employees. The sheer lack of time spent with staff is apparent and an absence of listening skills is wide spread. There are also some examples of dishonesty, which will never create a trusting staff. In addition, the HR department is highly disfunctional.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time with employees at all levels and listen to them. Coach all mid-level managers on expectations regarding how they relate and assist their staff and do not be hesitant to remove consistently (and there are many) non- productive managers who fail to provide true leadership. And you might look across the street, as Unity Point has hired many former OSF employees that applied specifically due to poor management and treatment.

Loved the mission

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe mission of the sisters is right on point. Most of the employees live it. Very family environment.

ConsSome managment do NOT live the mission but will never be brought to task on it unless they do something scandalous to bring bad press. So many good employees have left because of poor people managment skills. Others talk the talk but don't walk the walk and will hurt others to advance themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly look at your mgmt staff for the sisters mission and values.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working environment is a positive one.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Pontiac, IL

ProsThe nurses and doctors I worked with were very friendly. The PTO and medical/dental insurance was excellent. Working at the Pontiac hospital was updated and easily accessible.

ConsManagement needed to better understand their employees.

OSF cares about the well being of their employees

Analyst (Current Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsFantastic Health insurance, flexible schedule, Work from home when needed.

ConsAnnual raises are small 2-3%. but it's easy to move around with in the company and you always get a raise when you change jobs.

Betrayed after working for the Sisters for over thirteen years!

Manager (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe benefits were excellent despite raising the cost of healthcare for employees yearly. The mission itself is excellent and should be followed as the Sisters direct.

ConsHuman Resources Directors and Managers do not work for the employees but instead chooses to work against them. Positive Discipline only applies to some and not all levels and "rank" of staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to use a disciplinary standard, use it consistently. Do not give an annual evaluation that is excellent in October and fire the same employee in December with no warning, write up or opportunity for an "action plan". Very poor ethics in some divisions and departments, so take a long look in the mirror OSF SFMC Administration. Luckily one of the worst (members of Admin) moved to Florida.

This is the worst place I have worked in my entire 28 year career.

Executive Management (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsThe sisters still have a governing role in the organization.

ConsSeniority is more important than performance. Very passive-aggressive environment. Highly resistant to change. Poor at knowing the talent that is needed and recruiting for it. When talent does arrive, they do not know how to retain. Extremely fearful culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ability to improve the bottom line is far more important than how long someone has been affiliated with OSF. Wake up and see the need for talent.

OSF is an excellent organization. The Sister's Mission is genuine and inspiring.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsSalary and benefits are excellent. They put the patient first and have a talented group in upper management. Large organization with opportunities to transfer and advance.

ConsLittle training provided, Home Care division is struggling financially, morale is low and culture can be depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept that Home Care is a cost avoidance division for the hospital and saves the organization money from a consolidated perspective.

Valued employee. Treated with respect, patients are the focus here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees want to live the mission, see the same vision as the organization, and embrace the values.

ConsAs with many places you deal with politics once you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the politics of course.

Work environment at OSF in IT

Management (Former Employee) Peoria, IL

ProsEnjoyment from providing support of patient care in a large healthcare institution

ConsStressful, poor mid-level and senior IT management

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul you guys

Worked for OSF Healthcare System? Contribute to the Community!