OSIsoft

Be The First To
Add Photos

OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy

J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance in most departments"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Like previous reviewers, better work/life balance compared to other companies in the Bay Area"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Although the health benefits are great, there is no 401k match program"
    in 11 reviews
  • "For a city like San Leandro where there is lack of quality restaurants, there is no catered lunch"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A pleasure working here, Changes are-a coming!!

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRestructure of HR with a focus on competence, and building a supportive structured HR team to support the growing business. Improvement on some benefits. Social and fun company. Lifelong contacts.

ConsCareer advancement and overall changes seem to be coming, but slowly. You must be a go getter type employee and do it yourself until the changes are implemented and managers are empowered to assist with planning and the development. Need more training for new managers and lower level managers. More improvement on compensation and benefits is needed. More focus on the employee and their career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparent communication. More training for new managers.

OSIsoft is losing its identity and culture

ProsCulture:
-Decent Work/Life balance
-Support folks stick up for each other and have each other’s back, which is important since this office receives the highest volume of support inquiries.
-Depending on one’s position, manager and location, working remotely is possible, even if only once in a while.

Benefits:
-Base Salary is decent.
-You get to work in California.
-Office is close to the BART station.

Product:
-With developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting the OSIsoft suite of products you will have a chance to work with many smart, talented, friendly, ambitious team members in the Engineering and Support groups.
-Great job security as we have few, if any, major competitors.

ConsCulture:
- “Flat” management heirarchy really just means that folks in the higher positions get paid a lot to avoid making tough decisions. For example, every year the annual bonus situation is different, there’s no date or timeframe set, it’s entirely up in the air.
- Also, there is a strong Lifer mentality among many employees, an indifference that may have become prevalent due to the indifference among the Flat management structure(ever heard of “trickle down economics”? Think “trickle down apathy”.). Fortunately, over the past 1-2 years some new blood in development has been really pushing for innovation of our current product suite, so there is hope.
-Transparency exists to a degree and I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, when the answers are rife with “maybes”, “we shall see”, and/or “we’ll let you know in a few months”, then perhaps “Translucent” is more appropriate of a descriptor of the way company wide communications are handled. That, or perhaps “Ambiguous”.
-Career Development paths/opportunities are improving but still deal with the inevitability of “X department is short, so you cannot move to Y yet”. Completely understandable, however “Get it in writing” is a commonplace sentiment of Glass Door reviews in general, and I can understand why. Don’t string employees along to stall on the important decisions that affect our careers and lives(remember those annual bonuses?). If you are uncertain and your hands are tied, we appreciate knowing that that is the case at this time instead of finding out months later.
-The company feels much larger than it should. That is to say: OSIsoft is between 1k-2k employees yet it has the red tape and inefficiency of a company twice, or even thrice that size. Ironic given that most software companies in the Bay are growing faster than OSIsoft but have maintained a small company feel and culture.

Benefits:
-No 401k; no equity; Bonuses were guaranteed during my interview but now they are just a crapshoot with regards to if and when.
-San Leandro is the headquarters. Not much of anything exists here, other than cheap housing (relative to the rest of the Bay Area). Also, the small handful of decent, local eating options will satiate a new employee for only so long.

Product:
-Support is more about closing calls and responding to customer inquiries as opposed to providing insight to our development team regarding customer feedback. You need both, I’m not advocating that we ignore call queues, staffing, response time, etc. Rather, I’m advocating a balance, one which is currently absent.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop hiring sales and support in offices that are overstaffed and focus on NA where the support volume is much higher. Turnover in San Leandro is especially high. This is our headquarters, so definitely not a good sign.
-Just because we have no major competitors now doesn’t mean that won’t change in a year or two. Step it up and listen to your employees.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood People, Good Softwares, Good Goals

Consno strict deadlines for interns

Advice to Senior ManagementStricter deadlines to interns

Customer Support

Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at OSIsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people. Great hours 8-5. no OT.
Very social and supportive. Great training programs

ConsUnclear career path when you are not in the US (Asia office) as there aren't as many departments/positions to move into.

The best years of my career are right here!

A Very Senior Member of Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI’ve been in the software field for over 18 years now. I’ve worked for large and small software companies and I’m happy to say that none of them compare to OSIsoft. My time with OSIsoft has been the most rewarding years of my career. I’ve had the opportunity to truly make a difference in my career and the world itself. When you take a look around the company, you realize that OSIsoft only hires the best and brightest individuals, empowers them, trains them and gives them the freedom to do amazing things.

While not a ‘well known’ company, each and every day most people use the products and services of companies that have come to rely on OSIsoft’s products. I could sit here and go on about how the company’s core product, the PI System, is used by our customers, but then against the company has an entire website devoted to that (www.osisoft.com).

Throughout the company, opportunities for individuals to take on new challenges are abundant and there’s no preconceived notion that only senior people can take the ‘sexy’ new jobs. Junior level employees have just as much opportunity as senior level employees.

There is a respect that exists between the employees of the company. I've seen companies where people in one department look down on people in other departments. At OSIsoft, everyone has an equal voice and stake in what we do.

One of the best things about working for OSIsoft, when I wake up each morning I don't dread getting out of bed and going to the office. I honestly can't wait to get in, sit down, and get to work. I know people who work for similar companies who passionately dread going to work each day. I can honestly say I've never dreaded a single day while working at OSIsoft.

ConsThe company is not without its faults, no company is. From where I sit I see the following challenges:

• The company struggles with knowing when to retire older products to free resources to develop new ones. It's a challenge when so many critical companies around the world have come to rely on our products.

• How to continue to grow at the pace the company has grown over the past 10 years

• How to increase the rate at which we hire new employees

• No matching 401K (it's almost a running joke by now...)

• The health insurance via Cigna is substandard.

• The vacation package is feeling dated when you compare it to other software companies (tops out at 4 weeks after 10 years of service). Perhaps ‘unlimited vacation’ after 15 years?

• The company is working to address the San Leandro campus issues by renovating the 777 Davis Street building and leasing space in a nearby office building. Plus, there’s continued plans to build a new office building for the company in San Leandro. All positive steps, but it comes at the cost of disruption to employees as they are working.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe change we've seen within the company over the past few years has been spot on. Navigating the next few years will be critical to the future of the company.

Great Place

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time

ProsGreat people to work with, and an amazing management team. If you really put in the hard work and are able to show it off, you can really go places within the company.

ConsNothing much except the fact that it is in San Leandro. But things always change. OSI is changing San Leandro for the better.

A good company to work for

ProsGood learning opportunities
Nice balance of life and work
easy access to BART
healthy life style is promoted

ConsSome of the overall benefits such as vacation hours are not as good compared to other companies I've worked for.

It's been a pleasure to work here.

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are very nice and the work is very rewarding. There are great opportunities for advancement. Also there is a great social scene in which new hires can make friends with one another.

ConsSome of what you learn is not applicable to other jobs. It's difficult to get into software development. Also, you spend the first week doing self directed study which can be difficult and confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing. I've really enjoyed my time so far. Management could do a better job of making the company more well known. That would make it easier to explain to people where you work and what you do.

Great work environment and lots of smart people

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a very relaxed low stress environment. There are a lot of smart people who work at OSIsoft that really believe in the product.

ConsLow stress environment lacks competitiveness and mediocre employees are not let go.

Meritocratic ivory tower

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

Consno 401k match
Problematic health insurance
Not enough moustaches

Advice to Senior Managementreplace health insurer

Worked for OSIsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OSIsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by OSIsoft employees.