OSIsoft

Add Photos

OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy

J. Patrick Kennedy

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A pleasure working here, Changes are-a coming!!

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRestructure of HR with a focus on competence, and building a supportive structured HR team to support the growing business. Improvement on some benefits. Social and fun company. Lifelong contacts.

ConsCareer advancement and overall changes seem to be coming, but slowly. You must be a go getter type employee and do it yourself until the changes are implemented and managers are empowered to assist with planning and the development. Need more training for new managers and lower level managers. More improvement on compensation and benefits is needed. More focus on the employee and their career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparent communication. More training for new managers.

OSIsoft is losing its identity and culture

ProsCulture:
-Decent Work/Life balance
-Support folks stick up for each other and have each other’s back, which is important since this office receives the highest volume of support inquiries.
-Depending on one’s position, manager and location, working remotely is possible, even if only once in a while.

Benefits:
-Base Salary is decent.
-You get to work in California.
-Office is close to the BART station.

Product:
-With developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting the OSIsoft suite of products you will have a chance to work with many smart, talented, friendly, ambitious team members in the Engineering and Support groups.
-Great job security as we have few, if any, major competitors.

ConsCulture:
- “Flat” management heirarchy really just means that folks in the higher positions get paid a lot to avoid making tough decisions. For example, every year the annual bonus situation is different, there’s no date or timeframe set, it’s entirely up in the air.
- Also, there is a strong Lifer mentality among many employees, an indifference that may have become prevalent due to the indifference among the Flat management structure(ever heard of “trickle down economics”? Think “trickle down apathy”.). Fortunately, over the past 1-2 years some new blood in development has been really pushing for innovation of our current product suite, so there is hope.
-Transparency exists to a degree and I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, when the answers are rife with “maybes”, “we shall see”, and/or “we’ll let you know in a few months”, then perhaps “Translucent” is more appropriate of a descriptor of the way company wide communications are handled. That, or perhaps “Ambiguous”.
-Career Development paths/opportunities are improving but still deal with the inevitability of “X department is short, so you cannot move to Y yet”. Completely understandable, however “Get it in writing” is a commonplace sentiment of Glass Door reviews in general, and I can understand why. Don’t string employees along to stall on the important decisions that affect our careers and lives(remember those annual bonuses?). If you are uncertain and your hands are tied, we appreciate knowing that that is the case at this time instead of finding out months later.
-The company feels much larger than it should. That is to say: OSIsoft is between 1k-2k employees yet it has the red tape and inefficiency of a company twice, or even thrice that size. Ironic given that most software companies in the Bay are growing faster than OSIsoft but have maintained a small company feel and culture.

Benefits:
-No 401k; no equity; Bonuses were guaranteed during my interview but now they are just a crapshoot with regards to if and when.
-San Leandro is the headquarters. Not much of anything exists here, other than cheap housing (relative to the rest of the Bay Area). Also, the small handful of decent, local eating options will satiate a new employee for only so long.

Product:
-Support is more about closing calls and responding to customer inquiries as opposed to providing insight to our development team regarding customer feedback. You need both, I’m not advocating that we ignore call queues, staffing, response time, etc. Rather, I’m advocating a balance, one which is currently absent.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop hiring sales and support in offices that are overstaffed and focus on NA where the support volume is much higher. Turnover in San Leandro is especially high. This is our headquarters, so definitely not a good sign.
-Just because we have no major competitors now doesn’t mean that won’t change in a year or two. Step it up and listen to your employees.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood People, Good Softwares, Good Goals

Consno strict deadlines for interns

Advice to Senior ManagementStricter deadlines to interns

Great Place

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time

ProsGreat people to work with, and an amazing management team. If you really put in the hard work and are able to show it off, you can really go places within the company.

ConsNothing much except the fact that it is in San Leandro. But things always change. OSI is changing San Leandro for the better.

It's been a pleasure to work here.

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are very nice and the work is very rewarding. There are great opportunities for advancement. Also there is a great social scene in which new hires can make friends with one another.

ConsSome of what you learn is not applicable to other jobs. It's difficult to get into software development. Also, you spend the first week doing self directed study which can be difficult and confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing. I've really enjoyed my time so far. Management could do a better job of making the company more well known. That would make it easier to explain to people where you work and what you do.

Great work environment and lots of smart people

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a very relaxed low stress environment. There are a lot of smart people who work at OSIsoft that really believe in the product.

ConsLow stress environment lacks competitiveness and mediocre employees are not let go.

Bad company for young people in software industry

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable job. Most of the time 9-5.

ConsLike some others have posted low risk low reward employment. Compensation below industry average if you are not in top echelons of the company. Importance on learning and growth of individual employees is very low priority. Rise and compensation is based on how long you have been with the company rather than your career seniority, Old timers rule. Software and tools used are ancient. Software developers keep doing the same software release after release with few tweaks. Most of the money comes from old subscriptions and thus no impetus on improving existing software. Founder is busy elsewhere and generally has ancient ideas about how software company should be run no new blood in upper management. Hiring is slow and unplanned. Office facilities are really very antiquated and there is no plans for upgrading anytime soon. Managers are generally very apathetic. For a city like San Leandro where there is lack of quality restaurants, there is no catered lunch. Snack facilities are very poor. Since there are no Happy Hours there is general lack of social mingling in the company. There is no company expense account so you need to purchase everything and wait 2-3 weeks reimbursements, if it's big ticket items like Air Tickets for work travel then it sucks big time.

A solid, traditional company that still has room for improvement

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time

Pros-Great job security
-Good group of people (for the most part)
-Relaxed environment
-A good option for Engineering undergraduate students who are interested in full-time software opportunities after college

Cons-Inter-Department communications are weak or absent, so there are a lot of headaches that would be avoided if we had much better communication.
-Our main office in San Leandro is not a good building. It is absolutely antiquated.
-Career growth/development is put on the backburner at times.
-No 401K matching; No Stock options; Lunch subsidy is weak (at least in San Leandro).
-As the company grows, so does the amount of management, to the point of hindering the real solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about what made this company great in the beginning; a company culture built around the curiousity and persistence of strong engineers and technical folks

Summer internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsGot some really good work done and have a lot to show for the internship. I was left alone and didn't feel like someone was looking over my shoulder. Everyone who works here is very nice. Good compensation. My work was actually used by another company - pretty neat!

ConsPeople really put their heads down and work here, so a lot gets done, but people hardly ever talk, so it can get a bit awkward.

Super conservative, low risk low reward company

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob security is at a high level. Employees are friendly, highly educated, and a pleasure to work with (most). Great work/life balance in most departments.

ConsBenefits are below average. Must pay 20% of healthcare premiums out of pocket. No 401k match. No stock options. Bonuses are rare and marginal. Unless you are performing in the upper 2%, don't expect to get compensated well (compared with the industry).

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits to align with the rest of the tech industry.

Worked for OSIsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OSIsoft reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by OSIsoft employees.