OSIsoft Reviews

Reset
3.6
OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy
J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros
  • There is good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• OSIsoft is a local bay area company with remote offices all over the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • San Leandro is the headquarters (in 7 reviews)

• The health insurance via Cigna is substandard (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Exceeded my expectations, and only getting better

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a CSE we solve problems for customers, making the work very manageable and fun in a challenging/problem solving way. The company atmosphere is a good mix of hard working and professional with relaxed and casual. Good work-life balance.

This place has exceeded my expectations because there are way more opportunities than I initially realized. There are offices all over the world (albeit not huge ones), and there is the opportunity to do and exchange with another office (e.g. spend a month working in Frankfurt, Germany).

Also, effective July 2014, OSIsoft now offers 401k matching of up to $3,000, which is a new development.

The company is also growing rapidly. It has gone from 1,100 to 1,300 employees in just one year and has had sales over $350 million. The office headquarters were just renovated and a new building is about to be constructed just south of the main one (to be completed by 2017) which will create an OSIsoft campus.

Commuting is also very easy. It's right next to a BART station, and if you live in SF, the drive is not bad because it's a reverse commute so you don't have to deal with bridge traffic. I drive from the Marina and it's only 45 minutes, which is good for the bay area. It's an easy drive from anywhere in East Bay.

Cons

The product is not particularly sexy or exciting (the PI System is a plant information system that collects, stores, archives, analyzes, and displays time-series data) like the products of other bay area tech companies, however it plays a vital role behind the scenes in a whole host of industries, including pharmaceutical, mining, manufacturing, power, oil & gas, and chemicals.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep up with the times and update products and services accordingly. Things are moving fast in tech but we seem to be keeping up.

2. Solid company

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. As a software engineer, sometimes you have to work longer hours to get things done on time, but it's never asked of you by management. In my current project, I rarely work more than 40 hours per week. Also, the company has been around for a long time and is very stable... it's never had a round of layoffs in the > 10 years I've been there. Turnover is very low compared to traditional software companies.

One thing I really like about this company is the software is used in so many industries outside of the tech sector... primarily connecting to automation control systems used for manufacturing, oil and gas, energy production, chemical, pharmaceuticals etc. Talking to our customers is like watching an episode of "How It's Made". I've learned a lot.

Cons

The company does so well because it caters to a niche set of markets that have a lot of money. It has few real competitors that can offer the same software and services. However, if a big company with a lot of resources decided they wanted to compete in these markets, the company would probably be in trouble.

Also, from a software standpoint, much of the technology being used is somewhat dated (legacy stuff) without a lot of real interesting innovation happening in many dev groups. There's some effort recently to change that however.

Decent if unexciting place to work.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, people are really nice and helpful and technically very savvy. Company is stable and profitable and growing. Planned direction is, IMO, right on, and they really have the sector to themselves. Just broke ground on a new tech campus. Located right next to BART.

Cons

Few perks. San Leandro isn't tons of fun, though it seems to be on the way up.

At OSIsoft, you can work to live.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Close to BART
    • Good work-life balance possible. This can make teamwork difficult. For example, employees skip scheduled meetings to pick up their children at school, to pick up their repaired cars, to have their hair cut.

Cons

• Politics
    • Microsoft shop (they use all of Microsoft's products and methodologies). For some, this is a good thing.

Customer Support Engineer

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and relaxed work environment. Friendly and intelligent employees. Lots to learn!

Cons

Location in San Leandro is a con.

Great Company for 1995

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft

Pros

- Good work / life balance
    - No one takes work home with them
    - Job security
    - Co-worker are generally nice albeit simple minded

Cons

- Work is not interesting
    - Poor communication
    - Decrepit code base
    - Have to use Team Foundation Server without git
    - No perks except for coffee
    - No innovation
    - Old programmers and old ways of thinking

Advice to Management

OSIsoft only makes a profit by having no competitors. They refuse to invest in good developers (in the last year 4 team leads have left). Management has no clue about what to do with their cloud product. On top of that, they use buzzword terms incorrectly.

Do not consider working here unless you want to retire and can bare working with bad ideas.

Customer Technical Support

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Technical Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance; energetic team; good working environment; frequent exposure to cutting-edge technology and other leading companies in various industries such as the oil and gas;

Cons

The company may need to further improve recognition within the industry and expedite expansion so as to attract talents to join the team and therefore to stay competitive

Advice to Management

N/A

Welcoming Company

Current Intern - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Intern - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being an intern, I did not expect to receive as much attention as I have at OSIsoft. The employees really care about giving their interns the best education when it comes to learning about OSIsoft's products and the roles that each team plays in contributing to those products. I have weekly meetings with my supervisors where I am allowed to express my concerns or ask questions regarding the work that I do, and I can also suggest other avenues of work that I would like to be a part of. The company is very good about making sure the interns get the experience they would like out of their internships; we have quite a bit of say in the kind of work that we do.

Cons

There has been some new ideas of restructuring the work space to include quiet regions for individuals to work; however, there are employees who believe that this might dissuade team collaboration; there are many who prefer a more open work space where teams can freely discuss their ideas. (Note: This restructuring idea is only on trial as of right now.)

Wonderful

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart people and challenging work. I've never been micro-managed here. Most of the work here is "bottom line work". Unlike many companies, there is not a lot of "garbage work" with some yearly initiative that upper management forces people to participate in. At my previous company, we'd get some new initiative each year that was supposed to inspire and improve the workforce only to see it go away. A waste of time.

Cons

The max vacation should be increased. It is 4 weeks max which is low imo. Some things are a little too unstructured here, such as when merit reviews take place. Those kinds of processes should be ironed out and pretty much set in stone imo.

Advice to Management

NA

Ok Company

Former Employee - Executive in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft full-time

Pros

Because it is a private company it uses long-term perspective to drive the culture rather than quarter-to-quarter results. There is a lot of collaboration between employees and departments. No feeling of internal competitiveness that could squash collaboration.

Cons

Most employees are hired right out of college which is great and has built a stable workforce. But, the views of those from outside the company are not taken as seriously which causes too much insular decision making or decision making based on little to no experience elsewhere. Offers no long-term incentive programs either in the form of equity or cash.

Advice to Management

Base compensation is reasonably competitive. But, no one knows what bonus target if any they have. It is not transparent and leaves employees wondering where the bonus came from and how the amount was arrived at. Additionally, the company needs to share more of the profits and use some kind of long-term equity or cash program so employees can build a nest-egg.

RSS Feed </> Embed