OSIsoft

OSIsoft Reviews in San Leandro, CA

Updated May 27, 2014

OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy

J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros
  • Great work/life balance in most departments(in 6 reviews)

• Very smart people and challenging work(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the health benefits are great, there is no 401k match program(in 11 reviews)

• For a city like San Leandro where there is lack of quality restaurants, there is no catered lunch(in 7 reviews)

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsGot some really good work done and have a lot to show for the internship. I was left alone and didn't feel like someone was looking over my shoulder. Everyone who works here is very nice. Good compensation. My work was actually used by another company - pretty neat!

ConsPeople really put their heads down and work here, so a lot gets done, but people hardly ever talk, so it can get a bit awkward.

Super conservative, low risk low reward company

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsJob security is at a high level. Employees are friendly, highly educated, and a pleasure to work with (most). Great work/life balance in most departments.

ConsBenefits are below average. Must pay 20% of healthcare premiums out of pocket. No 401k match. No stock options. Bonuses are rare and marginal. Unless you are performing in the upper 2%, don't expect to get compensated well (compared with the industry).

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits to align with the rest of the tech industry.

All is well

Development Lead (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsFlexibility. Changing for the better.

ConsNo 401k match. Not stock. Meals can improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspiring motivating management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ability to plot your own course

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsAdvancement options in many fields. Work life balance. Active office with encouraged participation. Flexible time off.

ConsNot much guidance in advancement, it's mostly plot your own course. No 401k match. Time off maxes out somewhat low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason 401k match comes up nearly every year, it's a significant concern.

Nice people, but organization leaves something to be desired

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

Pros- Friendly, very trustworthy people
    - Fairly rational approach to money usage
    - Comparatively tight-knit feel for an expanding company
    - Opportunity to get into small, conservative projects
    - Perfectly fine place to be for now

Cons- Scattered departments
    - Poor communication between business and technical segments of company
    - Never retires products (which is easier to do initially, but becomes significantly harder over time)
    - Some questionable personnel decisions
    - Taking a larger proportion of undergraduates who lack experience in critical thinking and not training them
    - Tech support is where people come in, but not where they want to stay

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of opportunity that we haven't put to full use yet. Tech support bears a large burden of the business, but does not seem to be given much power to drive changes to let them do their job better. Assorted departments are pulling in opposite directions, and there is increasing confusion and inefficiency. The company is no longer at a size that one can "just walk up to any open door," yet there still seems to be a misconception that good ideas are actually getting to management's door. Instead good ideas are getting cast aside without bubbling up, lost in an unspoken hierarchy.

There's some great talent still in the company and hopefully they can be given more freedom and opportunity to drive new projects that span multiple departments. We need to prepare for a time when the memories of the open-door days are gone, because with some foresight, we can position ourselves to foster internal growth and have fresh ideas, even as we get bigger.

Collaborative and friendly work environment, but undergoing many significant changes

Employee (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people at OSIsoft are what make the company. Everybody is very approachable and helpful when they can be. At this point, there is no micromanagement which is a huge plus for me. Technical support is a fairly autonomous position, so it is nice that the managers keep their eyes on the big picture.

ConsSome significant restructuring is happening within OSIsoft Tech Support. As the company grows, they are trying to mimic the more structured hierarchies of larger companies. This means they are adding ranking to your title (TSE I, TSE II, etc) which may add some constrictions in terms of advancement for employees, but it may not. It is too early to tell.

Also, as other reviews have mentioned, it is becoming somewhat harder to advance within the company, especially as it gets larger. Moving across departments (Tech Support -> Engineering) is not an easy feat, as Tech Support will not want to let you go and Engineering isn't in a hurry to hire developers internally. However, I do believe that if you prove yourself as a valuable asset that advancement is possible; it might just take some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a close relationship with each of your employees, while avoiding micromanaging. Determine where the employee wants to go and help them figure out how they can get there. Give more constant personal feedback and ask for feedback from your employees.

intern

Intern (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

Prosfriendly coworkers/great interaction
    good company culture

Consposition was new, so sometimes what to do wasn't too well defined yet
    not much really

This is a great company to work for, full of people that really care about each other and their customers.

Center of Excellence Engineer (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people, the work, the customers.

ConsThe office building is pretty budget for a tech firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people need more guidance early on. A better on boarding programming would help people get up to speed faster and make them more valuable to the company.

Conversations start at a high level.

Senior Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsConstant inspiration. High growth curve.

ConsTime to hire. No 401k match.

Great people, decent software, sad headquarter premises.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people are terrific, skilled, smart, friendly, very hard-working. Upper management is very communicative. The company is *very* successful. Lateral movement encouraged - they want you to spend your career here and have rather incredible employee retention.

ConsSan Leandro HQ is slightly disgusting, cramped, borderline filthy. There's talk of a new building but no ground has been broken. Perks are few - smallest raise I've ever received for turning in a very respectable year. Very flat hierarchy is confusing ("We have no managers").

Worked for OSIsoft? Contribute to the Community!