OSIsoft

Updated September 15, 2014
4.1

OSIsoft CEO J. Patrick Kennedy
J. Patrick Kennedy

Pros
  • Work-life balance is great, there is full transparency in what teams are doing (in 10 reviews)

• Good compensation and opportunities to grow in the company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the health benefits are great, there is no 401k match program (in 11 reviews)

• For a city like San Leandro where there is lack of quality restaurants, there is no catered lunch (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exceeded my expectations, and only getting better

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a CSE we solve problems for customers, making the work very manageable and fun in a challenging/problem solving way. The company atmosphere is a good mix of hard working and professional with relaxed and casual. Good work-life balance.

This place has exceeded my expectations because there are way more opportunities than I initially realized. There are offices all over the world (albeit not huge ones), and there is the opportunity to do and exchange with another office (e.g. spend a month working in Frankfurt, Germany).

Also, effective July 2014, OSIsoft now offers 401k matching of up to $3,000, which is a new development.

The company is also growing rapidly. It has gone from 1,100 to 1,300 employees in just one year and has had sales over $350 million. The office headquarters were just renovated and a new building is about to be constructed just south of the main one (to be completed by 2017) which will create an OSIsoft campus.

Commuting is also very easy. It's right next to a BART station, and if you live in SF, the drive is not bad because it's a reverse commute so you don't have to deal with bridge traffic. I drive from the Marina and it's only 45 minutes, which is good for the bay area. It's an easy drive from anywhere in East Bay.

Cons

The product is not particularly sexy or exciting (the PI System is a plant information system that collects, stores, archives, analyzes, and displays time-series data) like the products of other bay area tech companies, however it plays a vital role behind the scenes in a whole host of industries, including pharmaceutical, mining, manufacturing, power, oil & gas, and chemicals.

Make sure to keep up with the times and update products and services accordingly. Things are moving fast in tech but we seem to be keeping up.

Welcoming Company

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Being an intern, I did not expect to receive as much attention as I have at OSIsoft. The employees really care about giving their interns the best education when it comes to learning about OSIsoft's products and the roles that each team plays in contributing to those products. I have weekly meetings with my supervisors where I am allowed to express my concerns or ask questions regarding the work that I do, and I can also suggest other avenues of work that I would like to be a part of. The company is very good about making sure the interns get the experience they would like out of their internships; we have quite a bit of say in the kind of work that we do.

Cons

There has been some new ideas of restructuring the work space to include quiet regions for individuals to work; however, there are employees who believe that this might dissuade team collaboration; there are many who prefer a more open work space where teams can freely discuss their ideas. (Note: This restructuring idea is only on trial as of right now.)

Wonderful

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart people and challenging work. I've never been micro-managed here. Most of the work here is "bottom line work". Unlike many companies, there is not a lot of "garbage work" with some yearly initiative that upper management forces people to participate in. At my previous company, we'd get some new initiative each year that was supposed to inspire and improve the workforce only to see it go away. A waste of time.

Cons

The max vacation should be increased. It is 4 weeks max which is low imo. Some things are a little too unstructured here, such as when merit reviews take place. Those kinds of processes should be ironed out and pretty much set in stone imo.

NA

Ok Company

Former Employee - Executive in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in San Leandro, CA

I worked at OSIsoft full-time

Pros

Because it is a private company it uses long-term perspective to drive the culture rather than quarter-to-quarter results. There is a lot of collaboration between employees and departments. No feeling of internal competitiveness that could squash collaboration.

Cons

Most employees are hired right out of college which is great and has built a stable workforce. But, the views of those from outside the company are not taken as seriously which causes too much insular decision making or decision making based on little to no experience elsewhere. Offers no long-term incentive programs either in the form of equity or cash.

Base compensation is reasonably competitive. But, no one knows what bonus target if any they have. It is not transparent and leaves employees wondering where the bonus came from and how the amount was arrived at. Additionally, the company needs to share more of the profits and use some kind of long-term equity or cash program so employees can build a nest-egg.

A pleasure working here, Changes are-a coming!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Restructure of HR with a focus on competence, and building a supportive structured HR team to support the growing business. Improvement on some benefits. Social and fun company. Lifelong contacts.

Cons

Career advancement and overall changes seem to be coming, but slowly. You must be a go getter type employee and do it yourself until the changes are implemented and managers are empowered to assist with planning and the development. Need more training for new managers and lower level managers. More improvement on compensation and benefits is needed. More focus on the employee and their career path.

More transparent communication. More training for new managers.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good People, Good Softwares, Good Goals

Cons

no strict deadlines for interns

Stricter deadlines to interns

OSIsoft is losing its identity and culture

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time

Pros

Culture:
    -Decent Work/Life balance
    -Support folks stick up for each other and have each other’s back, which is important since this office receives the highest volume of support inquiries.
    -Depending on one’s position, manager and location, working remotely is possible, even if only once in a while.

Benefits:
    -Base Salary is decent.
    -You get to work in California.
    -Office is close to the BART station.

Product:
    -With developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting the OSIsoft suite of products you will have a chance to work with many smart, talented, friendly, ambitious team members in the Engineering and Support groups.
    -Great job security as we have few, if any, major competitors.

Cons

Culture:
    - “Flat” management heirarchy really just means that folks in the higher positions get paid a lot to avoid making tough decisions. For example, every year the annual bonus situation is different, there’s no date or timeframe set, it’s entirely up in the air.
    - Also, there is a strong Lifer mentality among many employees, an indifference that may have become prevalent due to the indifference among the Flat management structure(ever heard of “trickle down economics”? Think “trickle down apathy”.). Fortunately, over the past 1-2 years some new blood in development has been really pushing for innovation of our current product suite, so there is hope.
    -Transparency exists to a degree and I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, when the answers are rife with “maybes”, “we shall see”, and/or “we’ll let you know in a few months”, then perhaps “Translucent” is more appropriate of a descriptor of the way company wide communications are handled. That, or perhaps “Ambiguous”.
    -Career Development paths/opportunities are improving but still deal with the inevitability of “X department is short, so you cannot move to Y yet”. Completely understandable, however “Get it in writing” is a commonplace sentiment of Glass Door reviews in general, and I can understand why. Don’t string employees along to stall on the important decisions that affect our careers and lives(remember those annual bonuses?). If you are uncertain and your hands are tied, we appreciate knowing that that is the case at this time instead of finding out months later.
    -The company feels much larger than it should. That is to say: OSIsoft is between 1k-2k employees yet it has the red tape and inefficiency of a company twice, or even thrice that size. Ironic given that most software companies in the Bay are growing faster than OSIsoft but have maintained a small company feel and culture.

Benefits:
    -No 401k; no equity; Bonuses were guaranteed during my interview but now they are just a crapshoot with regards to if and when.
    -San Leandro is the headquarters. Not much of anything exists here, other than cheap housing (relative to the rest of the Bay Area). Also, the small handful of decent, local eating options will satiate a new employee for only so long.

Product:
    -Support is more about closing calls and responding to customer inquiries as opposed to providing insight to our development team regarding customer feedback. You need both, I’m not advocating that we ignore call queues, staffing, response time, etc. Rather, I’m advocating a balance, one which is currently absent.

-Stop hiring sales and support in offices that are overstaffed and focus on NA where the support volume is much higher. Turnover in San Leandro is especially high. This is our headquarters, so definitely not a good sign.
    -Just because we have no major competitors now doesn’t mean that won’t change in a year or two. Step it up and listen to your employees.

Great Place

Current Employee - Sales in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, and an amazing management team. If you really put in the hard work and are able to show it off, you can really go places within the company.

Cons

Nothing much except the fact that it is in San Leandro. But things always change. OSI is changing San Leandro for the better.

It's been a pleasure to work here.

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very nice and the work is very rewarding. There are great opportunities for advancement. Also there is a great social scene in which new hires can make friends with one another.

Cons

Some of what you learn is not applicable to other jobs. It's difficult to get into software development. Also, you spend the first week doing self directed study which can be difficult and confusing.

Keep on doing what you're doing. I've really enjoyed my time so far. Management could do a better job of making the company more well known. That would make it easier to explain to people where you work and what you do.

Great work environment and lots of smart people

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a very relaxed low stress environment. There are a lot of smart people who work at OSIsoft that really believe in the product.

Cons

Low stress environment lacks competitiveness and mediocre employees are not let go.