OST Global Solutions

Updated August 13, 2014
3.6

OST Global Solutions President Olessia Smotrova-Taylor
Olessia Smotrova-Taylor

Good company, slight stepping stone

Former Employee - Project Control Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Control Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at OST Global Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company benefits but tough to get anywhere in certain programs. Good company culture and growth potential but hard to do when many contracts are on the clients sight.

Cons

Small company, so benefits are lacking to complete with the bigger firms. Lack of mentorship and training opportunities didn't offer a benefit for myself

Good Experience in an Interesting Industry

Former Employee - Business Development Research Analyst  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development Research Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at OST Global Solutions as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot about the government contracting industry, how a small to mid-sized company operates and other working experiences, depending on your position. The people here are friendly and even though they will not sit next to you all the time to show you how to do things, they're always available for questions. The CEO is very easygoing and I am so glad that I worked under her. The company has comfortable working environment in a nice building. Schedule is very flexible, especially for interns who might have schedule conflicts. Many people complain that this is an unpaid internship but it's not the case. First, most companies do so nowadays. Second, why would you complain when that is what you would have agreed on when you apply for the internship. Finally, isn't the purpose of getting an internship to gain experiences?

Cons

It can be a little hard to adapt to the working culture at first. During the first week I had a lot to read but it was all about government contracts and bidding. However, they are implementing guidance for new employees so things are getting better.

It would be great if the company can document how things are done so that new employees can adapt to the working culture at OST Global Solutions quicker and more easily.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at OST Global Solutions as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The thing about being an intern is that you get out of it what you put in it. I'm just now finishing my internship with OST and I have had a great learning experience. The thing is though, is that over the last three months I have actively sought things to do. Once I proved that I could take on more responsibility it was given to me and I moved onto more satisfying work. My advice for interns looking at OST is to come prepared to learn and work. If you're just doing this for something to do, then yes you are going to have a bad experience and you might as well stay home. However, if you show up on day one willing to put forth effort, and you can prove that you do quality work, you will be given interesting work to do. In three months I proved myself competent and was able to help edit, write, and prepare several proposals. Moreover, you will not get the level of mentorship and responsibility that I received anywhere else as an intern. I have learned more about business development and proposals than I would've at any of the large well-known consulting firms. The other people that have commented on this page were probably useless and thus were delegated useless work.

Cons

It is kind of a long drive from DC during rush hour and there is a steep learning curve when you first start out.

Thank you for being so flexible with my summer class schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at OST Global Solutions as an intern

Pros

Learned a lot about the gov. contracting industry. Other interns were intelligent and good to work with. CEO is very competent and well known in the industry, with many insights into how to properly write winning proposals.

Cons

Very monotonous work; management can be very quirky at times.
    Some interns were unsatisfied with the diversity of work. It seemed to be less of a learning experience and more of a low income job (but without pay).

Hire younger full time staff instead of simply a new batch of interns every semester/summer. It makes it seem as though there is no possibility of advancement.

I could have learned more investigating gov't contracting myself.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Rockville, MD

I worked at OST Global Solutions as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I learned more than I thought I would, government contracting, silly office politics, dysfunctional company operations, and how not to run a business.

Cons

Unpaid internship,the interns do free work for the company, you learn more from the so called free course they give you.

Pay your interns.... It borders on wage stealing. Additionally, define what you do, don't try to get your feet wet in all aspects, become more specialized in one thing. Lastly, be proactive in how you do things not reactive

Interesting

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at OST Global Solutions

Pros

Client service is very good. I learned a lot.

Cons

People are boring and strict.

Worked for OST Global Solutions? Contribute to the Community!