OST Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014

Vijay Narula

Upward trajectory!!

Current Employee - Held Multiple Titles, Currently Program Manager  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Held Multiple Titles, Currently Program Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at OST full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has been winning business consistently and it's all based on reputation, quality of work and stellar past performances. The clients have given multiple projects 10/10 in customer surveys. Employees are being promoted from in-house based on caliber and performance and it's great to see their careers grow with OST. Great trajectory!

Cons

None at this time! HR is working hard to put many employee friendly constructs in place. Communicating the wins to employees consistently will help keep the positive momentum going up

Keep it up! Transitioning to mid-size is never easy. Ignore the meaningless distractions and keep your eyes on the goals.

Make this a job; it's not a long-term career stop

I have been working at OST full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is small, so you have an opportunity to be exposed to different projects, and grow your skills on those projects. You may also have an opportunity to be exposed to The other employees generally friendly, and you can be very comfortable there in terms of work/life balance. Management, even at the highest levels, is very accessible.

Cons

The health insurance is terrible. It's like the company found health policies that work best for them financially, but do absolutely nothing for the employee. Seeking insurance through the health exchanges is a better option. The salary is low, and isn't likely to move much. Yearly increases stay in the 1%-2% range. Bonuses are also low to non-existent, so don't look for that to bolster pay. There also isn't much opportunity to promote here. Also, the yearly review has nothing to do with salary. Salary is meted out across the board at the percentage previously discussed. Your hard work can easily go unrecognized.

Seek better benefits for your employees; these things matter. Allow and trust employees to do their jobs. You don't need to know everything the employees know; that's why you hired them (for their expertise in an area). Change your review structure. The yearly reviews seem like they're done just to say they're done. They are totally unrelated to the salary increases, and this is demoralizing to employees who do their best and expect to be recognized for it.

Excuses, broken promises and no accountability of leadership

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at OST full-time

Pros

Ability to learn from other knowledgeable IT professionals (before they leave for greener pastures)

Cons

There is simply no room for salary increases or career path growth. Many things will be promised but none will be delivered. If you excel as an employee you could be lucky enough to get a $100 gift card once every 6 months or year.
    Management tends to coddle weak leaders which only encourages the more dedicated and necessary employees to leave. (no employee wants to deal with leadership that lies, manipulates and bulldozes them to get 'their way')

Look at your leadership and see how they impact the employees they work with. Is it worth it to keep on a few terrible managers/leads while sacrificing proven workers?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at OST full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best people of have worked with in my career. They have a great team there, very smart and energizing.
    Excellent train opportunities, they take the time to make sure all employees are very versed in CMMI, ISO and technical skills.
    My manager was always very helpful in making sure my career goals were met. She was always available to address concerns and lend a helping hand, while always being open minded to my requests and/or concerns. One of the best managers I had in my career.
    I was always happy with my compensation and benefits.
    Fun events for employees year around.

Cons

Better benefits for employees with families, cost.
    Offer more telecommute options for employees.

Listen to employees more, they are your eyes and ears on the ground for projects.

The place to be in you want to grow faster than your peers...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at OST full-time

Pros

- If you take initiative, you can grow faster than others in the industry. Things are not handed to you on a platter, but if you are a go-getter, there is no limit.
    - I have had to work really hard but with the opportunities I was provided, I have grown a lot faster than a lot of my peers in other companies/industries have not been able to keep up. This is not because they didn't try but because the opportunities come only after a LONG wait.
    - You have to be long term greedy - they pay extremely well but you have to earn it. A lot of the fortune 500 companies have this model. Makes sense, right - if you invest in the company, they will invest in you.
    - They help you change "jobs" internally if what you are doing is not aligned with your career goals. They actually make the introductions and "pitch" you to managers where you are a better fit.

Cons

- This originates from the recent growth spurt we have had (last two years) - need more communication and flow of information.
    - Recent changes like Lunch with Leadership are a huge hit. We need more interaction with executives and BUL's.

I know you are doing this more this year - but get out there and tell your story. A lot of the good you do gets hidden. In this day and age - you need to blow your own trumpet sometimes.

Great Place to work with many opportunities and exposure to various technologies

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at OST full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great company with co-workers that really have a passion for their job. Everybody works hard to keep their customers happy and is always looking for a more efficient to work out a solution .

Cons

Need to be able to work as a team and be flexible in finding solutions. Benefits are great per industry standard nothing extra ordinary .

Need to give additional training to the employees, create more team events

Good place to acquire core knowledge

Current Employee - Corportae Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Corportae Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at OST as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The senior management has good leadership.
    The teams are well organized. The atmosphere at the moment is motivational and I've been brought in on challenging projects. Good client list. Efficiency and performance of each individual is important here. Significant perks for employees. All the people I have met so far seemed happy to me, which was a motivating factor.

Cons

Sometimes underutilized by manager, but haven't been here too long to say for sure.

Continue with your efforts and hire more talent who will be able to give their all to the company and add value to the company's reputation.

Small business feel with big business coming in

I have been working at OST full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A [quickly] growing company with endless growth potential
    - Very intelligent people who want to create a culture that fosters out of the box thinking with strategic moves
    - Senior level motivates employees at all levels and takes the time to get to know their employees through programs (Award ceremonies, lunch, company picnics, holiday parties, etc.) The CEO might possibly be the friendliest, most inspiring person I've met to date.
    - Opportunities are given to those who want them. Money might not follow immediately or be at the highest end starting off, but the experience given is worth it
    - Loyalty is valued

Cons

Promotions aren't often, you have to prove yourself to be worth it- the way it should be!

Lie about everything, not concerned with their employees whatsoever

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at OST full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a paycheck and so far they pay on time (but don't forget to enter your time sheet or your check will be withheld even if you are salaried).

Cons

Career path: there is none. Don't let them fool you into thinking they'll move you into another position down the line; you're stuck where you land.

No care for employees: no work/life balance. If you work enough hours (140+) in a 2 week period they will reward you with bonuses so they say. ( I have yet to see this happen). Anyone who can get their work done in a 40-60 hour week is considered a slacker.

Very male dominated. Expect to be looked down on by most if you are female, especially in tech. Extremely misogynistic.

Don't expect communication to aid work flow or change in company policies. It doesn't exist.

None. They think they know it all.

Dead business

I have been working at OST full-time

Pros

None any more. The business is dead and the owners are facing potential lawsuits.

Cons

Emotional outbursts from CEO
    Mentally unstable COO
    Unethical CFO
    Awful Senior Management - some who are also co-owners
    Regularly break the law

Shut down the business, be honest with your employees. You have broken the law several times and left a solid trail. The more harassment you generate is what is making lawsuits stronger. There is nothing to sell any more too. And your own saving grace is to stop putting the blame on employees and owning up to your actions. The co. has been blacklisted already for over 2 years.

Worked for OST? Contribute to the Community!