OU Medical Center

Updated October 25, 2014
3.5

OU Medical Center President & CEO Cole C. Eslyn
Cole C. Eslyn

Great career opportunities and the best leadership team out there!

I have been working at OU Medical Center

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work for two departments and have had a wonderful experience with my management and co workers! Benefits are great and well explained. The Voice is a newsletter put out on the web and informs all employees of new things happening with the hospital. Although it is a big hospital, you feel a part of a family at OU!

Cons

Parking is an issue. Most employees must park at an off site garage and shuttle in. For individuals with swing shifts or those that work odd shifts throughout the week this can be difficult. After a 16hr day no one wants to ride a shuttle to a dark parking lot adding an extra 30 minutes to your day waiting for a shuttle.

Keep up the good work keeping employees connected and up to date with new things through the Voice.

very nice staff workers but administration is very unattached to management /employee relation in housekeeping.

Current Employee - Housekeeper II in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Housekeeper II in Edmond, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company in most department has a good friendly staff, their benefits package is decent, office personnel are friendly and approachable.

Cons

they have outsourced the environmental services dept and put in the hands of a contract company who places inexperienced people in management positions who do not have a clue how to relate to their employee's in a professional manor so instead of building up and motivating their staff they think bulling and threatening people is the way. HCA has knowledge of this and dont seam to be concerned or willing to get involved. (serious problem, shameful)

Get involved in how your housekeeping staff are being treated by the company that HCA selected to oversee how the hospital is being cleaned. the current director is not qualified, untrained, has poor leadership qualities, shows favoritism, and talks down to or at people. HCA administration should be more involved in the hiring procedures of the contract company because HCA employee's are being treated different from those who work for the cleaning company. and when opportunities to advance not given to HCA employee's from with-in who are qualified, they are given to another person from with-in the contract company. this is favoritism and it goes unnoticed.

A place to learn, not to make a career

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hands on experience with a variety of Level 1 Trauma patients.

Cons

Lack of personal growth, poor pay for work performed, very little focus on promoting or pay by merit versus time in uniform. Always short staffed.

Provide well defined structure by which staff can seek certifications and experience in exchange for advancement both clinically and financially. Train high achieves for internal promotion before they are needed.

Great experience

Current Employee - Supply Chain Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's absolutely a great place to work for an entry level position. Managers in our department is good. Regarding promotion, I think it's not easy, gotta work hard for it.

Cons

Dealing with different requests from doctors, nurses, surgery tech, or even the residents, sometimes the request is far from the reality and they expect us to deliver them anyway.

Compensation should be adjusted because it's a bit too low compare to the same position in different companies. Every employees need to get a proper training.

I love working for OU Medical center, in the transplant unit for the hospital atmosphere and the experience I gained.

Former Employee - Medical Biller/Patient Registration in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Medical Biller/Patient Registration in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason for me to work there is because I really wanted to work in a hospital/clinic atmosphere and the job gave me a lot of experience in the vast medical billing field. I would like to return to hospital setting but I'm willing to work myself up the ladder with work experience to be able to return to the hospital medical unit.

Cons

The one challenge I experienced while here at this job was trying to track down a Dr to verify his notes, for any errors a Dr had in his coding/notes etc.

I feel there should of been more availability for me as a medical biller to ask direct questions to the Dr or his nurse if I had any problems with what I had to deal with as far as billing.

Great place, great people!!

Former Employee - Sterile Processing/Distribution Tech II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sterile Processing/Distribution Tech II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

OU... Great Place, Great People!! Competitive wages. Good benefits.

Cons

Not too much room for advancement unless you get lucky!

Great Hospital

Current Employee - Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice culture, good people and warm environment

Cons

low pay rates compared to other hospitals

Good experience

I have been working at OU Medical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of team work with a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Needs better staffing, the nurse to patient ratio is too high, with not enough nursing assistants.

good company

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at OU Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good mangers that don't micro manage you. working in the outpatient areas gives you standard hours while working in the emergency room you are bound to crazy shifts.
    company offers paid holidays.

Cons

no room for advancement be prepared to stay in the same role until someone retires or leaves.
    poor benefits
    poor pay
    paid holidays but you must use out of your PTO bucket rather than the company paying for it.

great place to work in oklahoma

Former Employee - Research in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Research in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at OU Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible work environment. great place

Cons

no cons experienced to report.

no advive