OWC

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

Larry O'Connor

Good place to work - Company is maturing to be a Great place to work. (20 Year IT Veteran)

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is average for the region.
    CEO is engaged in keeping the company moving forward. No stagnancy.
    Co-workers are friendly. Great work environment. Katie does a great job organizing the various functions for different holidays.
    Great work/life balance.
    Company is always shifting to be on the forefront of technology.
    Great product vision in the Storage and Memory lines.
    CEO is approachable and receptive to new ideas.
    New President is intelligent and down to earth.

Cons

Vacation/Holiday/Floating holiday re-evaluation needed to combat burnout.
    Communication to employees - Improvements have been made recently but there are still some gaps that need to be bridged. Company values, Mission, and direction need to be organized and disseminated.
    Each department feels like an individual team instead of one big OWC team.
    No ice cream cake on sysadmin's day. :(

The best advice I can give to management is to better communicate the ideas, goals and vision of the company. Start pushing team OWC concepts to all employees.

Terrible Place to Work - Current Employee Planning to Leave ASAP!!!

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing...everything seems to be getting worse at this place and although I keep telling management about the issues the company is facing, no one is listening - it's going on deaf ears!!!!!!!

Cons

Bad management and it's mainly because of the lack of experience and big egos at this place that makes it almost unbearable. Unfortunately, I'm still sticking around because I need the money but will be out soon as I can. If you're thinking about coming here...DON'T UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SAD DAILY........

Change entire management team and bring in people with actual experience running a tech company.

Other World Computing is the Best

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Other World Computing is an awesome place to work. There is a wonderful family environment. Everyone is willing to help each other, and you never have to be afraid about asking questions. Working at OWC has been a life changing experience. The personality of the employees creates a fun awareness of all the diversity we have in this world. Working with all different kinds of people has allowed me to appreciate technology, art, business, and a hard work ethic.
    There are so many opportunities for advancement in the company. OWC is fast growing and becoming more and more popular. Even during tough economical times OWC is still able to bring on new people.
    The products offered are fun and unique in the sense that so much attention to detail is put into creating and testing to ensure top quality. Customer service is one of the main emphasis and reasons for success. I greatly enjoy assisting customers with their daily needs, and know that what we provide in regard to products and service is changing lives.
    The CEO is one cool dude. He is very generous and knows that a happy work force creates for a successful business. The owner makes it a point to be available to customers and employees, and is never too big or busy to keep an open ear.
    Other World Computing is a fun and energetic company. The attention to detail with products and customers is fantastic. Quality products and expert support is not just a motto but a way of culture and work lifestyle. I am very proud to say I work at Other World Computing.

Cons

There is currently no retail store front location for personal customer interaction. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Keep on building the culture of departments communicating and working together. Please also continue to listen and take in the feedback provided by employees as this will allow continual growth and success.

Great Place to Work......

Current Employee - Support in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Support in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoy working here; Co-workers are friendly, always willing to help out anyone new and the special events throughout the year really show the company cares.
    There have been some leadership changes in different departments and the company is better for it. Change may not be the easiest but the results so far are GREAT!

Cons

Just a couple of things.
    The vacation plan needs to be improved, after all this is 2014 and in most families both parents work and need the time to spend with family.
    The parking can be a challenge, especially in the winter.

Glad to see micro-managing diminishing, keep it up!

Not the best experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at OWC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a stressful job at all. Great work life balance. Most people in the company are very nice and nice to work with. The location of the Austin office is amazing. The parking is by far the best part of the job, the office is also pretty nice as it when through remodeling.

Cons

-The pay is not up to the standards of Austin. They want to pay Austin employees Woodstock money and do not realize that Austin is a much more fruitful city for those looking for jobs.

-The turnover in the graphics and marketing departments are insane. Not only people quitting but them firing people. They went through 2 marketing directors for seemingly no reason. If you are looking to work with a group of people for a few years, look elsewhere.

-There is really no organization to speak of.

-There are a few people in the company that high pretty high opinions of their opinions. Don't think you can go into this company and make changes. There are some people that need to leave, that never will, before anything like collaborative work can happen.

-Seriously, if you absolutely just need a job, sure, take it. But otherwise, stay away. You will waste away at this company. Nothing new is learned, trying new things is discouraged.

You have incredibly talented people working for you. Listen to them more and don't just say you are open to ideas either, you say you are a lot but when it comes down to it, not really. If you are seeing a huge turn over in a short time, you should probably look at what is going on.

Dec 16, 2014Human Resource Manager

Thank you for your feedback! At Other World Computing we pride ourselves in having a friendly atmosphere and comfortable work environment.

OWC also takes pride in our retention of employees and
    ... More

Good Pay and that's about it

Former Employee - Support in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Support in Woodstock, IL

I worked at OWC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll make solid money in terms of salary and bonuses. 401K is good too. But the health insurance costs are over $800/mo.

Cons

The bad far outweighs the good here. The work load expectations in every department are unrealistic...that's why no one has time to talk, interact, or even smile.

Everyone, including HR, kowtows to the egotistical "founder and CEO" who has a sign for his parking spot in Woodstock yet works from Texas. He doesn't spend any time getting to know any direct or indirect employees on any kind of personal level. To him, people are just "resources" to be used up in his pursuit of ever higher sales. That's why there's been a revolving door of management level and support people here...they either resign or are let go once they are burnt out.

Just look at the review from the person in July 2014...and HR's reply. That about sums it up. Denial and inability to fix known problems.

The hardest part of this job is balancing your personal desires to work for a meaningful place where people are decent to a place where you trade all that for great pay.

Maybe go in with mindset of 1-2 year max and you'll be OK. You'll learn then what you really want out of the workplace and can take lessons learned here and apply to new setting to make it a better place for those you work with.

Take some management training. Go work for someone else and learn how the "real" workplace functions. Just because you start a company doesn't mean you should lead it.

Nov 7, 2014Human Resource Manager

Thank you for your review. Other World Computing certainly offers competitive salaries and benefits to our employees. With average healthcare costs rising, we are always assessing ways to minimize ... More

Expect to be verbally assaulted by customers daily due to crappy business practices.

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative – Hybrid Call Center in Woodstock, IL

I worked at OWC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of a single one

Cons

They will hire you and tell you that you are working one schedule but constantly change it so your work/life balance is completely out of whack. The reward system of giving people stuffed animals and squeezable stress toys is not really a reward when you take one for the team to keep customers satisfied.

Micro managed like crazy - turnover is high - they expect you to be perfect even with a non-perfect running way of doing business

Allow time to be taken off even if you don't have eto available.

Beware. Do not leave a job to come here

I worked at OWC full-time

Pros

I do not have any pros to say about OWC.

Cons

I do not advise coming to work for OWC in Austin. They hire and fire on a whim and no one of substance has managed to stay for longer than 6 months. The founder has placed some people in senior management positions who have little knowledge or skill and who are extremely difficult to work with. In my honest opinion the people who are in charge are so insecure that they act like dictators. Note the company has been around since 1988 and has yet to grow into the size of a business like Dell who started around the same time frame. If you interview a good question to ask is why they have never been able to keep one of the last 4 or 5 marketing directors.

Get rid of the difficult people in management positions, you know who they are and give the new people you hire a chance to make a difference. Listen to people who actually have experience in what they were hired to do.

Jul 9, 2014Human Resource Manager

Although it is unfortunate when something doesn't work out; we are very excited and proud of the team we have built and are continuing to build. We wish everyone well in both their personal and ... More

Interesting...

Current Employee - N/A in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - N/A in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The starting pay is better than most other places, when coming in without a degree or any college experience. Most of the people that work here are wonderful and we're able to blend together quite well throughout all departments.

Cons

-Rules are made, yet not followed by all. Some get in trouble for not following rules, some don't. Nothing along those lines is consistent.
    -HR, in the past, was terrible and did things wrong which caused issues for employees and effected their raises (or lack there of). Certain issues weren't taken 100% seriously by HR & supervisors (harassment), or unjust decisions/opinions were made in said situations.
    -Certain people are continuously negative and bring down others around them, no matter how hard others try.
    -Sitting on our butts 40hrs a week, and we're expected to get to these tiers in the steps program sooner than later. If we were able to move around more, or had more physical options in the office while working, would assist with the program and the overall health of the employees.
    -Lunch should be an option for an hour, or 30mins. An hour is a little excessive. I'd rather come in a half hour later, or leave a half hour earlier.
    -Working until 10pm or later, really doesn't give you much of a home life or time to spend with family/friends.
    -9am-5pm or 8am-4pm work shifts would mean employees get more time with family, which means they will be happier, which means they will have better quality/quantity of work.
    -Working in a call center, we should be able to be in casual dress. Rarely do we see outside people we need to impress. Casual is comfortable. Comfortable is happier. Happier is better quality/quantity work.

Do not expect each person to know everything. Some learn in different ways. Some take a little longer to "get" things (though if main points aren't learned within a year, maybe look for something better suited for that person). Do not expect each person's personality to mesh perfectly with yours, and don't get aggravated when they don't. Don't talk down to your team members, it will not make them want to improve or do what you want... it will only do the opposite and make your team members resent you. Lead by example, in all ways.

A great place for people who love to be around technology

Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodstock, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Woodstock, IL

I have been working at OWC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that address the needs of our customers. Open to new ideas from employees when presented from a business prospective. Compensation was not great to start, but was competitive and improved over time.

Cons

It's true the owner is active in the daily business operations, but I've never seen this as micromanagement. He's very smart and passionate about the products and company, and knows what it takes to be successful this day and age.

Provide more detailed communication as the company's direction and/or product focus changes over time.