Oak Beverages Reviews

Reset
2.2
Debra E. Boening

1. Good Starting Company

Pros

Good Managers, They are down to earth.

Cons

Salary is too low for NYC.

2. Worst company ever!!!

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Worst company ever. Gm and owner are completely clueless. They don't care about their employees. No business people just a lot of cousins.

Cons

Too many to list. It's run worse than a hot dog stand in Central Park.

Advice to Management

You can't give any because they're too dumb to realize they need help.

3. Uncertain, unsatisfactory pay for amount of work and wear on own vehicle

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working independently, sell beer,wine,liqour, being outdoors. Learning about craft beers.

Cons

Weekly meeting at office located very far from territory, out of pocket toll expense. Bonuses not paid. Managers and supervisor are non existent only appear when they get a complaint they are clueless about the routes, and are very unprofessional. Expected to work overtime and not get paid. Company has changed policy many times and sales reps were not to benefit from the changes. Your car will pay the price. Not enough support , things can take up to month for anything to be taken care of.

Advice to Management

Fight for your sales rep you represent them. Otherwise more sales rep will leave and company will loose money to train reps and relearn the routes all over again . It's like starting from square one.

5. district sales manager

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Blauvelt, NY
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Blauvelt, NY

Pros

great opportunity to use my talents and offer new ideas and success I was also offered a promotion

Cons

I really did not see any cons it is a good company, family owned and in business for a long time

Advice to Management

My advise was to update their sales tools to make an overall more efficient company since then they have added new technology

6. Blatant favoritism, weak management.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You sell beer, you meet great people and make great connections in the industry. Great sales reps.

Cons

Lack of support from management. Meetings at the office upstate during the week which cut into your time in the field. Credit department can be tough to deal with. There's a definite disconnect between the sales force and upper management which almost creates a rift between the two. There is a certain amount of favoritism as well. People with no experience in sales can be thrust into management quickly if they're on the "right side of the fence"

Advice to Management

Work on boosting morale. A happy employee is a productive employee. Close the gap between sales and management. It's a great feeling to be part of a team but viewing management as "the enemy" is not such a great feeling.

7. Stay away!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nyack, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nyack, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to sell beer. The other Sales Reps and some customers.

Cons

Management, they scream at you belittle you and try and scare you by holding your job over your head constantly. The pay, when you hit bonuses you have to beg for your money. When you hit incentives you have to beg for your money. They try to change programs in the middle of programs so they don't have to pay. When they do pay they will short you so keep track of EVERYTHING!!!

Advice to Management

SELL!!! Sell your company to people who can be professional know how to deal with customers. Can make the work environment fun and productive.

8. What it is like to work here

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet some really nice customers

Cons

This is not a 40 hour a week job. You wind up working evening and weekends and there is no extra compensation. No vacation days until you are there for 1 year.

9. Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Oak Beverages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I understood the monthly incentive program, and hit it every month. Those that ignore this, won't make the great money. Good place to work if you are self motivated. I was glad that Oak let me develop my own territory. Trucks deliver every weekday, so easy to keep fresh product in. Best Holiday schedule ever.

Cons

Oak is slow in paying out the bonuses, so you are usually 30 days behind. Alot of time is spent on picking up money from accounts.

Advice to Management

Need a faster inventory system

short

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a decent portfolio of products, some are excellent.

Cons

GM didn't understand the craft category. He liked to control his employees so that only the weak stayed with him. I asked every week for my expense money and every week I was given an addition to the procedure. That last denial came when I was told the report needed a paper clip not, a staple. He walked away and I found a new job the next day. I never did get the expense money.

Advice to Management

There has been a change in management since I left and I hope it's a change for the better.

Rude, condescending, vulgar and unprofessional upper management.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Blauvelt, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Blauvelt, NY

Pros

Working for a beer distributor is kind of a perk in and of itself, and they do give you a generous employee discount on their products. Also, there is great camaraderie between sales reps and lower-level management, I suppose as a result of our understanding that the company treats everyone equally terribly.

Cons

Where to begin... What they pay is not remotely close to enough to live on anywhere in the NY metro area. Monthly incentives and supplier incentives are paid 5-6 months late if even at all. When management closes the office due to inclement weather they dock all employees a vacation day. In the time I worked there I was promised three different promotions, none of which ever materialized. They provide horrendous customer service, including but not limited to refusing to accept returns of defective kegs, damaged cases and outdated product, which in turn reflects poorly on the sales reps. Upper-level management scream, yell, curse and belittle everyone below them as if they are all idiots with no idea how to do their jobs, and purposely keep objectives, policies and rules vague and undocumented so they can change them to suit their purposes as they see fit and without notifying anyone of the changes.

Advice to Management

The guidelines of this website will not permit me to say what I would really like to tell the management of Oak Beverages.

RSS Feed </> Embed