Oakland County, MI Reviews

Reset
3.1
CEO

1. Employer Review

Pros

Overall, Oakland County is a good employer, with great health benefits and a generous vacation accrual.

Cons

Management tends to be a little short sighted and makes decision without any input of the employees that will be affected.

Advice to Management

Request feedback from employees prior to implementing new rules.

2. Summer Intern

Former Employee - Student Intern in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Great salary for a student intern. It was a great way to start learning things for a career

Cons

Tasks can be extremely mundane times, lots of paperwork. I understood after working there why our government is so slow at times

Advice to Management

I really can't say much about this since i was only an Intern. but the organizational vision changes after every election.

Info Tech Management blames employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Other employees ate nice & helpful with problems. Not much else

Cons

Several newer software products have come with problems. Management approach is to blame employees & threaten disciplinary action when problems happen. In some cases, people have actually been disciplined. Users call with problems with the software. IT management pressures employees to say problem is fixed & close calls. Problems aren't fixed. Users call again about same problem and are mad because they were told it was fixed Nepotism & cronyism are also big problem. People are hired because they are related to someone, despite supposed rules against it. Other than that, new hires come from outside. Current employees don't have chance for promotion. Sometimes there is new software or hardware that is supposed to help IT employees do jobs easier. The problem is that people who are management favorites get the new stuff. Other people are left off the list. Same with training. Computer field is always changing, but only management favorites get any training. County is proposing small pay raises in coming years. They talk like that will solve all problems.

Advice to Management

Mistakes happen! Software problems are a fact of life! Blaming employees for the software YOU decided to buy won't make the problems magically go away. In the short term, people will be scared & afraid to make a move. In the short term, your statistics will look good (boy we fixed those problems SO FAST!). In the longer term, people will get tired of the blame game and leave. In the longer term, the users will not be happy with a rush job on their problems. Really, you should look past the end of your nose and quit being so shortsighted!

5. Attorney

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time

Pros

Good benefits, fiscally sound county, good pay for government work, good work-life balance, interesting work and opportunities

Cons

Government pay, no bonuses, politically volatile, no structured performance reviews in place, opaque promotion decisions, some management not approachable

Wish it was different

Former Employee - Sanitarian in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Sanitarian in Southfield, MI

Pros

Started in 2002. Loved it. Upper management in the Health Department changed and they failed to foster a positive work environment.Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. Left in 2012. Its 2015 and I work for an employer who values me.

Cons

Advice to Management

Listen to staff feed back. Foster team work approach.

7. Excellent career growth, work life balance.

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing healthcare and retirement benefits. Wonderful work life balance (4 days/ 10 hour schedule), tuition reimbursement,

Cons

No options to work from home (not even one day per week)

Great place to work if you are part of the boys club.

Former Employee - Road Inspector in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Road Inspector in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great health plan for your whole family. The 457 plan is matched and fidelity investments help you with any questions you may have.

Cons

This organization only promotes men regardless of performance or ethics. In addition, this organization hires individuals within the same family. It is like a closed door club.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

9. Stable Employer

Pros

Job Security is high, benefits are good with a lower employee contribution that the private sector.

Cons

The environment is not conducive to innovation and change.

Advice to Management

Employees need to feel empowered to do the jobs you hired them to do. There is a tremendous amount of untapped talent in the existing workforce.

10. I have watched this local government grow and become more fiscally responsible having a AAA Bond Rating.

Current Employee - User Support Specialist in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - User Support Specialist in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our County Executive works very hard for us and has very successful initiatives. We are proud to work with a very approachable man.

Cons

Compensation, Communication, Management not being involved and sheltering themselves away from the everyday environment.

Advice to Management

Get more involved with your staff and be a real part of what is going on everyday

11. Best work experience learned and work with new software and hardware everyday .

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist Tech I in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist Tech I in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Oakland County, MI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work place , great people , and lots of new thing to learn .

Cons

I am only a contract employee so I don't get full benefits .

Advice to Management

Keep up good work .

RSS Feed </> Embed