Oakland Schools Reviews

Updated March 13, 2014
Updated March 13, 2014

CEO

My experience in Oakland Schools, thus far, has been a constant rejuvenation for my already passion to teach and train.

Current Employee - Guest Teacher  in  Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland Schools as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The diversity of the school district is impeccable. Working in the various schools I have had the opportunity to experience mutual respect from the student population as well as the staff and administration. In addtioin my work performance is often acknowledged and in demand by various teachers.

Cons

Upon entering into a classroom or new facility, oftentimes, I feel that full potential is not challenged. However this school year has not offered many assignments due to so many bad weather days. I enjoy teaching but the work is not steady enough for me to live off financially. Although I have applied for other positions within Oakland Schools I have never been selected and I know my skills reach beyond just classroom learning and management.

No comment

Wonderful Team, Meaningful Work

Current Employee - Wraparound Facilitator  in  Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Wraparound Facilitator in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive managers, independent work, flexibility, great benefits

Cons

Communication can be muddled, work is high stress, irregular hours

Worst start to a new job ever!!!

I have been working at Oakland Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

OS provides good services to school districts and the students that they serve. They have the best intentions of promoting public education.

Cons

OS does not have a new employee orientation, you are on your own. Show up to the big fancy building and figure it out for yourself. Once you find your way to your hamster cage, there will be no training. I have been told numerous times that we basically learn by making mistakes over and over until you get it right. The organizational climate is extremely conservative. It seems that administration wants to be as intimidating as possible to make their jobs, which are no different than the same job in another organization, seem VERY important. The bureaucracy is crazy. Every business activity is extremely cumbersome, as it has to be approved by a series of 6-8 people, each doing their own microscopic piece of the process. For this reason it takes 2-3 weeks to purchase something, bring in a contractor, pay an invoice, etc. For the most part employees are chained to their desks cranking out their little piece of the OS process. Sadly, there does not appear to be much room for advancement. I have talked to people who have been with OS for 10+ years, but have not seen much opportunity.

Maybe give a little thought to employee training, especially new employees. Seek input from employees to improve processes. Promote teamwork and collaboration.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very little care for employees

I worked at Oakland Schools for more than a year

Pros

Work in a school/business environment

Cons

Disrespected
    Micromanaged
    Uncared for as an employee
    Terrible room for growth

Only work a management position if you're qualified to work one. There is a lot of corrupt behaviour that needs to be changed, simply by listening to the 'little guys.'

Nice place to work if you can afford to.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Oakland Schools

Pros

Benefits and time off and hours

Cons

Low pay, Senoir management very controling

Pay more attention to non management input

Worked for Oakland Schools? Contribute to the Community!