Oakland Schools

Oakland Schools Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience in Oakland Schools, thus far, has been a constant rejuvenation for my already passion to teach and train.

Guest Teacher (Current Employee)
    Waterford, MI

ProsThe diversity of the school district is impeccable. Working in the various schools I have had the opportunity to experience mutual respect from the student population as well as the staff and administration. In addtioin my work performance is often acknowledged and in demand by various teachers.

ConsUpon entering into a classroom or new facility, oftentimes, I feel that full potential is not challenged. However this school year has not offered many assignments due to so many bad weather days. I enjoy teaching but the work is not steady enough for me to live off financially. Although I have applied for other positions within Oakland Schools I have never been selected and I know my skills reach beyond just classroom learning and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Worst start to a new job ever!!!

ProsOS provides good services to school districts and the students that they serve. They have the best intentions of promoting public education.

ConsOS does not have a new employee orientation, you are on your own. Show up to the big fancy building and figure it out for yourself. Once you find your way to your hamster cage, there will be no training. I have been told numerous times that we basically learn by making mistakes over and over until you get it right. The organizational climate is extremely conservative. It seems that administration wants to be as intimidating as possible to make their jobs, which are no different than the same job in another organization, seem VERY important. The bureaucracy is crazy. Every business activity is extremely cumbersome, as it has to be approved by a series of 6-8 people, each doing their own microscopic piece of the process. For this reason it takes 2-3 weeks to purchase something, bring in a contractor, pay an invoice, etc. For the most part employees are chained to their desks cranking out their little piece of the OS process. Sadly, there does not appear to be much room for advancement. I have talked to people who have been with OS for 10+ years, but have not seen much opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe give a little thought to employee training, especially new employees. Seek input from employees to improve processes. Promote teamwork and collaboration.

Wonderful Team, Meaningful Work

Wraparound Facilitator (Current Employee)
    Waterford, MI

ProsSupportive managers, independent work, flexibility, great benefits

ConsCommunication can be muddled, work is high stress, irregular hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very little care for employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork in a school/business environment

ConsDisrespected
    Micromanaged
    Uncared for as an employee
    Terrible room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly work a management position if you're qualified to work one. There is a lot of corrupt behaviour that needs to be changed, simply by listening to the 'little guys.'

Nice place to work if you can afford to.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Waterford, MI

ProsBenefits and time off and hours

ConsLow pay, Senoir management very controling

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to non management input

Worked for Oakland Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oakland Schools reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Oakland Schools employees.