Oakland Unified School District

Add Photos

High expectations, low pay

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Oakland, CA

Pros-students are amazing
    -students are curious
    -students are inspirational
    -students are strong

Cons-district is unorganized
    -PDs are pointless
    -communication

Advice to Senior Managementsalary increase, base pay, more answers to the 'HOWs' of curriculum, not just the 'WHATs' of curriculum (ie: how to implement common core).

Bureaucratic Nightmare

Special Education Staff Member (Current Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsDecent benefits, paid holidays on the days one would expect as an educator. Lynette Calvin and the amazing *I think* Ethiopian Lady in Mayroll who always so helpful and kind when you come in to the district. They are jewels.

ConsNo consistent formal evaluation
    Extremely Sluggish response times to concerns or questions from employees
    Rude people at the offices
    Feeling like a cog, like a serial number to the district.
    Poverty level pay for paraprofessionals

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to your employees when they have concerns in a timely and friendy manner. Pay paraprofessionals the money they are worth so that they can earn enough to take care of themselves and their families!

Unhappy teacher

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsThe kids are great. Many of the other teachers that I work with are wonderful people who are incredibly driven and inspiring. The parents at my school are fantastic.

ConsThere is no such thing as having a life because your classes will always be grossly over-enrolled. BYO photocopy paper because the school won't provide much at all. More and more expectations piled on us without any compensation. More and more testing taking away from our instructional time. No supplies or materials will ever be available. Forget about new books. And the salary? I made more when I was a secretary, BEFORE I got a masters degree. We remain the lowest paid in the area, and with no signs of improvement while cost of living skyrockets. We are expected to be constantly collaborating with each other, but are never provided time. Teachers' needs are constantly ignored, while more and more is put on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salaries and sustainability of working here. OUSD has the highest turnover rate of any district in the Bay Area, and that's only going to continue. Listen to teachers. Pay them right, give them supplies, and stop the unsustainable huge class inflation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a Spanish substitute teacher I had the opportunity to share and learn my experience with others.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOUSD enjoys a multi- cultural environment which promotes excellence.

ConsLack of opportunities. Part- time positions. Old fashion system.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate information

Meh

Teacher, Middle School (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsThe reason you teach is for the kids. The kids in Oakland are just as wonderful and deserving as kids in any city. You'll work hard for your moments, but they'll be well worth it in the end.

ConsOUSD as a district is an administrative mess. Budget is always an issue. Union strikes happened twice in two years. The disciplinary system has no backbone at the district-level, meaning you better hope your school/principal already has strong leadership in place.

good

Prosgood experience, some are compassionate

Consmorale can be low, disorganized

Oakland Unified SD-Where high performance is punished

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsThe schools themselves: Principals, teachers, school staff, volunteers, community organizations, students and their families. Most of the district based departments that directly contribute to student learning outcomes

ConsTop level: Both Associate Superintendents, for either being out of touch with the chart of education today and/or unaware of the poor performance of their staff. Financial mismanagement that costs the students and Oakland residents who foot the bill, terrible level of IT services.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, starting at the top. Demand performance reviews in a timely manner. Update antiquated HR systems. Stop the waste.

Large, urban, disorganized school district with lots of potential and great staff

Special Education Staff Member (Current Employee)
    Oakland, CA

Pros-Mostly great staff members, competent teachers.
    -Special education services are generally better than surrounding districts.
    -Benefits and school calendar.

Cons-Administration has had lots of turn over lately.
    -Disorganization at the administrative level filters down to others, making everyday work duties more tedious than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more middle management and eliminate the top-heavy management approach with all high-level administrators who don't have time to manage all of their duties.

good

Prosgood health care package there

Consannoying at times when lots of work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Highly challenging school district, with little support

School Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for diverse student population, where you can possibly impact students, this is a place to do that.

ConsChallenging school sites, ridden with poverty, crime and oppressive conditions. School district regional and district directors do very little to support or demand true change. Allot of politics that negatively affect kids are very prevalent in the district. Lack of true professionals that are there to make change and impact lives from teachers to the district level. Pay is among the lowest in the bay area for teachers, and school administrators.

Worked for Oakland Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oakland Unified School District reviews and ratings. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Oakland Unified School District employees.