Oakley Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 17 reviews)

• Laid back atmosphere, Casual, No real dress code, Can be fun (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills (in 10 reviews)

• Then compound this wiaht no career path and pay which is at least 15-20% below the area average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Oakley

Pros

The discounts are pretty good and the people are great. A lot of opportunity to grow and develop. I was attacking school at the time and management was able to work with me and my availability.

Cons

Hours were a bit tough. It may have had to with my school schedule. Customers expected discounts that did not exist.

For short term position great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA

I worked at Oakley part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture and vibe was overall really great. The people were great and the amount of freedom you had while selling was great. For seasonal work it was great. Good perks/ Discounts working there.

Cons

The pay was lower than expected but still above minimum. Some people seemed to value selling more unnecessary things to customers for the sake of good sales numbers as opposed to helping a customer find what they truly need.

Best Company to work for Ever!!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Oakley part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a contractor but treated as a full time employee. Everyone I have worked with has been fantastic and great at communicating. I have encounter little to no resistance when driving the hiring process. The employees work as a team and the company treats their employees well with perks and benefits.My boss is the very best i have ever worked for.

Cons

It isn't permanent! I work on a contract,part time basis.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love working with Oakley!!

Great Product, Great Environment; Not Very Rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

+The work atmosphere is very relaxed and enjoyable. It's nice to be able to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work.
    +The product is great. The brand is strong and unique. I genuinely stand behind the products and that makes my job much easier.
    +Scheduling is very flexible. This is a good job if you are in school or you have another part-time job and are looking to supplement your income.
    +The employee discount is huge. If you are a big Oakley fan it might be worth working here part-time for the discount alone.

Cons

-The pay is below average.
    -Depending on your individual store situation it may take longer than usual to move up within the company.
    -There is virtually zero incentive to meet your daily sales goals aside from avoiding a possible lecture.

Offer a decent, livable wage and provide some type of incentives if you are serious about consistently meeting sales objectives. Focus on promoting from within rather than filling management positions with people hired from outside the company.

Churn is High RPM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Talented, motivated colleagues
    - Great discounts on decent product
    - Casual dress code
    - Good work/life balance
    - Onsite gym and fitness classes

Cons

- Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills.
    - The churn rate will make your head spin - lots of talented people come through the door and then inevitably leave for better opportunities.
    - When these talented people leave, many make impassioned pleas to HR about things that need to change. These are typically met with a donkey nod or a blank stare.
    - There's really no mandate to "attract and retain top talent," that's just a slogan.
    - The brand seems to be losing relevancy and those in decision-making roles are reacting instead of "innovating."
    - Lower than market rate pay and little or no clear path to career advancement, unless you are part of the "bro-brah" club.
    - Furlough days established during the downturn require you to use vacation time during the holidays. Time to end these.

Be truly "disruptive" and step down or aside when you know that you are negatively affecting the brand and employee morale. This will probably never happen, as those in the C-suite seem to be clinging like barnacles to their fiefdoms. If the company mandate is truly about retaining talent, then adjust salaries to be market rate and promote from within. Your employees are leaving in droves to places like Google, Apple, Nike and Sony. Take note and stop the hemorrhaging.

IT Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great company with a good history. There is a lot to do and a lot to learn. They are very good with work/life balance. They provide a lot of activities to stay active.

Cons

A lot has changed since Luxottica took over. It's not the same Oakley that it once was. Parking SUCKS at HQ.

Best employer as of yet...

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work hard, play hard. That is definitely the motto of working at Oakley headquarters.

Cons

Several departments moved off-site from Oakley's main building due to growth. Having been in a department moved off site it felt like we lost a big part of Oakley's culture the main building carries.

Really Fun Part Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Oakley part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent product to sell
    Generous employee discount
    Great customers
    Always something new to learn
    Free clothes upon hire

Cons

Very demanding job in terms of product knowledge.
    Must study the product or it will be overwhelming
    Prior sunglass sales experience is preferred
    Low pay

Perhaps take some of the vanity out of the Oakley brand. Sometimes there is alot of arrogance when it comes to Oakley staff and their product
    Also better training would be awesome

Great experience with room to grow!

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Arlington, VA

I worked at Oakley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting atmosphere, great coworkers and supervisors. Great experience working their with opportunities to advance within the company. Great pay inside of the company as well.

Cons

If you have a troubled time remembering information about various products, this may not be the place for you.

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can manage a year as a new graduate for your resume, then kudos to you. They hire young and very dumb...which tells you the direction the company is going.
    You can bring your dog to work.
    Employee discount.

Cons

Very high attrition. Company struggles for months and months to fill executive positions. They claim because it is from lack of qualified applicants. That's rich. Lots of turnover. Nobody knows anything or can train because chances are, they are new like you.
    Drama. Lots of gossip, backstabbing, backbiting, threats, you name it. Luckily, I was only a witness, but this is the most petty, childish environment I've ever worked in. People choose bonuses over doing a project with international impact correctly.
    No information is written down. Hopefully, you find someone that isn't an idiot (good luck!) and has time to help you. I was lucky enough to have one person help me, but that person was clearly miserable.
    Lots of "cool" aid to pretend to choke down.
    Lots of playing with numbers to get the results executive management wants to present.
    This company has a bad reputation. I offered a referral to a new graduate once and they said no way.

No one will listen anyway. Too much infighting, bragging about accomplishments at prior companies and cries of we will take over the world. Literally.