Oakley

Updated January 21, 2015
3.4

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 17 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance, still corporate but you can work out during lunch breaks and adhere to a casual dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills (in 10 reviews)

• Then compound this wiaht no career path and pay which is at least 15-20% below the area average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good staff but it can get competitive.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oakley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people for sure. The company itself takes care of you as well and they like to send goodies! We've gotten a shipment of the cutest cupcakes in a jars amongst other things. Managers are also really nice and easy to talk to. Good place to work for a minimum wage income.

Cons

Seems to be minimal room to move up seeing as they like to hire people who are already fit for the role and not train to move up. It gets competitive amongst sales associates with bonuses if goal is met for the month.

Make everyone learn every task (sales and stock) so it is a much fairer environment.

Stellar

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Great pay, mid sized retailer so the lines of communication are strong, you WILL meet higher ups with no problems, awesome discount.

Cons

Very clicky, too many cheifs in corp, directive changes too much

Open lines of communication between different branches in corp

Great place to work, but salaries could be more competitive

I have been working at Oakley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, lots of motivated people, only stressful if you let it be, very casual work environment. Lots of improvements have been made over recent years to streamline business processes and weed out the inefficiencies.

Cons

Being owned by a parent company (Luxottica), lots of culture changes have occurred over the years which had caused some of the "old timers" to move on. The feeling at work isn't what it used to be, but that's not always a bad thing. Budget cuts are constantly being driven which has resulted in the loss of jobs and difficulty to hire additional resources. On top of that, since it's a lifestyle company that people would love to work at, they feel that they can offer sub-competitive salaries which either results in people who wind up leaving or not the quality of experienced people that should be hired to help the company.

Amazing culture, a bit internally confused

Former Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

culture sucks you in, especially if you love action sports. company lives by and teaches their values.

Cons

lots of internal, individual departments whose leaders don't collaborate (ie marketing and retail), they know where they need to get there to continue to be relevant, they are just having a hard time getting there.

putting leaders in place who haven't spent their entire careers there might help bring current relevant perspectives. figure out why one of the highest attrition rates is in HR...

Cool place to work on some days, wish I was compensated more

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Fun atmosphere, good products. Access to employee sales which is a great place to get lots of product for significantly less than retail.

Cons

Tend to be underpaid due to the desirable "Culture" that is slowly dying since being bought out by Luxottica. Becoming more corporatized and less chill. Heard so many stories of crazy, fun, things happening and when I get here, I don't see any of it.

Great Place to work, but it depends on the department you are in and who is running it.

Former Employee - Manager in Foothill Rnch, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Foothill Rnch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting place to work always some cool activity going on. Great "can do" work ethic, very innovative products, lots of energy. People were generally open to trying new ideas. Strong desire to build or develop technologies rather than buy or lease them. Met some outstanding professionals while there and It was great experience.

Cons

Due to relatively low salaries they attract many people that are fairly new in their careers. There is a ton of inefficiency due to the lack of experience. There was not much real career growth opportunity, they would typically hire new roles from the outside rather than develop talent from within. No executive training or development programs that I am aware of. Vacation Policy: 10 days and 4 of those days had to be used during holiday shut down leaving you with 6 for the remainder of the year.

Oakley Employees work harder than those at any other company I have seen. They are passionate about what they do and the results show it. You need to adjust your vacation policies so that people who work hard can truly play hard. Develop your staff like you do your athletes.

Amazing environment

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Loved every minute of working with this organization! Great sales experience in a low stress environment.

Cons

No complaints, unless you are looking for a place that sucks. I had a great time wroth nameless throughout the training process!

It was okay

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was the only positive thing about job. I mean people were cool but not great.

Cons

Too much micro management. No promotions. It was very hard to do what you as an employee to get things done.

Promote within

Manager

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Corporate, Loyal Employees, Family

Cons

work, work, work, work, work

I should of left years ago

Former Employee - Creative in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, medical, dental, vision, holiday time, sick time, 401k matching, overall great people.

Cons

A lot of work expected without market equivalent compensation. There is not a lot of extra training to help with the growth of your career. Managers can play favorites.