Oakley Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 16 reviews)

• Laid back environment, Great Benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There tends to be a disconnect from upper management and the floor staff (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of structure is fun, but makes for many lazy, unaccountable colleagues - be prepared to do the jobs of others (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Working to figure out what Luxottica wants...

I have been working at Oakley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Oakley makes great lenses. Their sunglass styles are simply losing appeal. But great lenses

Cons

This company has a management team that works each day figuring out what Luxottica wants. They've lost their edge and instead of behaving as a disruptive company, they are forcing a tag that is the complete antithesis of their designs. FLAT. And ugly.

Get back to your roots. Never would Oakley need to tell folks what they were, they simply behaved and presented products that were disruptive.

Sold a bill of goods

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Oakley full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are well above average for retail.
    A work life balance is offered that is not typically found in retail
    50 discount on apparel, footwear, and accessories.
    70% discount on eyewear
    Free clothes every quarter

Cons

I was completely comfortable working where I was at. I was appreciated and was working my way towards a career path. Oakley approached me and said they wanted me to run their new store in Louisville, KY. I never applied for the position until they requested that I do so. I was never involved in the hiring process and my position was the last to be filled.

From the 1st day of employment I had an assistant that is what I term a "spotlight Ranger." He would go out of his way to be in the limelight. He was very self-aggrandizing and my district manager and trainers lauded over him. I felt something was up with him from day 1. My gut instinct told me he was very dishonest and probably not anything close to what he was making himself out to be.

It didn't take long for my "rockstar" assistant to begin throwing me under the bus to my district manager. He would disregard my orders to complete tasks and then he would take photos of the store and send them to my district manager. I received weekly scoldings from her for my lack of leadership and competence. The whole time I knew in the back of my mind that my assistant was up to something. Within the first month of employment I caught him ringing out his own purchase, and then doing his own return. I immediately brought this up to my district manager who questioned him and then brushed my concerns aside.

I did the best I could to run the store while a key member of my management team worked diligently against me instead of with me. He continously failed to complete tasks and ignored directives from me all the while being completely closed to any coaching. After nearly two months of employment and the store being open I had nagging suspicions that he was committing theft from the store. I kept my suspicions to myself as I had an non-supportive and absentee district manager.

My "rockstar" started to miss work and my attempts to document him were dismissed by HR as being retaliatory. "Rockstar" ended up taking a leave of absence after stating he wanted to hurt himself at work. He showed back up to work after two weeks of peaceful bliss in the store with medical release papers I assumed he had signed himself. After being back only a week my other assistant and sales lead approached me with their own suspicions that "Rockstar" was stealing. Now with my management team fully aware of "Rockstar's" antics we began our own investigation together and found that in only two weeks since his return he had done over $2700 in false refunds. "Rockstar" also failed to miss work one day claiming to be a victim of a home invasion and also claimed his paycheck was stolen.

After some hem and hawing with HR and LP we finally moved forward with terminating "Rockstar." He was still employed for another month while myself and my staff, and LP were fully aware of the theft he was committing every shift he worked. Remember that stolen paycheck? He falsely reported that stolen and cashed it at a downtown gas station hoping to get a second paycheck reissued.

With "Rockstar" finally out of the way I did the best I could to get the store back up and running in time for the holiday season. I had a DM that was completely absent. I was an experienced store manager, but brand new to the company and had a staff that was completely brand new as well and my DM never visited the store except for the first week of setting up the store.

We were all hired knowing the store would be remodeled for two weeks. We were shocked to find out that the store would be closed for five months for a remodel instead. No option for relocation during the remodel was given. I was terminated for what I assume to be failure to protect company assets. At closing we found a large amount of product to be missing as well. If someone was stealing cash from the register I would assume that they would be stealing product as well. Even though I raised my hand and showed that there was theft in the store, did all of the work for LP, I was terminated for failing to protect assets.

Eight months later my old store is remodeled and looks great. The staff there is unmotivated for sure though. The store still fails to hit sales goals. Still fails to hit conversion rates. The staff receives no staff dress, TBI, or promotions because the store is on intensive care for the inventory shortages caused by "Rockstar." I've already been disciplined with termination. Why continue to discipline the staff that had nothing to do with the inventory shortages? People are being disciplined that weren't even employed by the company when the store was opened.

Eights months later and I am still looking for viable employment. In 2009 I was unemployed for a year after being mobilized with the Army Reserves. In 2010 I fought and clawed my way up from an $8 an hour retail employee to a store manager. I was promoted three times by my previous company before Oakley sold me on their rainbows and unicorns. Now I am right back to where I was five years ago. Thanks Oakley!

Inexperienced Corporate Management with High-turnover at the Tactical Level

I worked at Oakley

Pros

- Employee discount (stock up while you're in)
    - Free beer (pbr, anyone?)
    - All day meetings/offsites that make it seem like you're working, but really aren't (seriously though)

Cons

Poor Oakley. Great products, but a confused brand with an even more lost and confused corporate team.

Oakley seems to be very top heavy in the management/leadership department. However, those in leadership are not humble enough to realize that they can't do the work alone (or at all in some aspects). They need talented, hard working individuals, and they need to value and appreciate those people when they actually have them. Oakley uses high employee discounts, free beer and the occasional slip-in-slide to engage employees and hope that they don't realize that they are getting no development, no promotion and little to no raise.

If you're looking to develop a career, find a mentor and/or further yourself professionally with any sort of positive promotional outlook, Oakley may not be for you. If you like drama, wondering if you're on the chopping block constantly or working for ungrateful management - go for it.

At the end of the day, it's leadership that develops the vision and the people that actually bring it to life. Oakley needs to humble itself and realize this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

employees are a commodity

I have been working at Oakley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

it's getting really difficult to find a reason to stay

Cons

new management is being filled with Italians, no internal growth

quit, or your employees will end up leaving

Ultra micro managed

I worked at Oakley

Pros

Hours are great if you compare to normal retail hours

Cons

Poor management at his location

This company doesn't value their employees the way that they should.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time

Pros

Oakley is great when it comes to the lifestyle of the company. They host fun events, like dress up days, soap box races, and even giant slip and slides. The discount is extremely nice as well.

Cons

The upper management in this company are extremely biased. They let emotions get involved in their job, hold grudges, pick favorites, and don't give credit where credit is deserved. If you want to work for Oakley and work your way up to a higher position, good luck! There are so many corporate politics involved that unless you enjoy having brown on your nose 24-7 you won't go far. The pay is by far an embarrassment. You might as well work for nothing. They keep part time employees just below full time hours to prevent having to give them benefits. The higher ups do nothing but focus on the negatives and never show gratitude to the employees that are doing all of the hard work. They weed out all of their best employees that know they aren't being treated right because they know someone else is lined up willing to take their job for less. Not to mention the quality of the products has gone down significantly since the buy out a few years ago. Overall, I think that Oakley seems like a great company to work for from the outsider looking in but it's not until you work there that you realize it isn't what it's cracked up to be. I'd rather sit at a desk, be appreciated for my hard work, and get better pay than have slip and slides to make up for being treated like crap, and getting paid pennies to work myself to the bone.

The upper management in this company needs an overhaul. HR regulations need to be inputted on a stronger level, not at a lower employee level but at the upper management level. Management needs to stop letting their personal feelings conflict with their ability to perform as a manager.

No transparency. No benefits. Lies all around from this company.

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dress casual
    Cool people
    The company does not offer too much aside from that since the culture has dramatically changed since the buyout from Luxotica.

Cons

They do not promote internally and are extremely shady in their dealings. Management defers responsibilities entirely to workers and assume nothing on their side. This is of all management in Credit/AR/Accounting. The management of the finance/accounting department is terrible. Pay is equally bad with 3% raises being your maximum. 3% when you're never offered promotions is not enough to keep anyone talented in this economy.

Guide some of your employees and mentor them for the future. You treat them like sweatshop workers. There are plenty of talented people in the company and you should not have to resort to outside recruiting for every open position.

Lackluster company given current management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Company that values its products, designs, and stands behind them strongly
    Awesome peers (excluding mgmt)

Cons

Upper management that has no clue how to treat or approach individuals. Not uncommon to hear yelling or shouting matches. No career paths created for employees. Management more concerned with how they can get ahead no matter the cost. Many are struggling with the more corporate structure being brought by Luxottica. Not the best environment.

Poll your people and take action, recent polls with no action are the same as not doing anything. Fix HR its a joke they have friendships with managers and at the end if the day do what best suits management not the employee.

It really sucks.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Oakley

Pros

Discount and the location, that's it.

Cons

Upper management's unrealistic goals and fantasy world mentality.

spend a day or two a month to directly deal with customers.

sold a ton of promises and no follow through

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley

Pros

-good consumer brand awareness
    -employee discount on eyewear and apparel (makes for great gifts to friends and family)
    -fantastically talented designers and graphics artists - tons of potential for creativity
    -excellent resume builder

Cons

-no clear management structure
    -completely disorganized as far as corporate priorities and initiatives to reach goals
    -conflicting orders from supervisors and managers
    -sees itself as an action sports brand, but is getting lost in the corporate structure so there is no clear perspective and no clear understanding of how to navigate for long-term success
    -reactionary "drop everything and do this" attitude
    -total disrespect for teamwork - teams are not encouraged in reality
    -tons of whispering in the office - have never worked in such a negative, backstabbing environment and have been working for 10 years!
    -constant finger pointing by managers out of fear that they will lose their own job
    -not an environment that fosters professional growth or loyalty within the company
    -27% turnover rate during my employment (a little over 6 months!). when I asked about this in my interview knowing Oakley had a high turnover rate in the past, I was told they'd restructured and now it is stable. That is not what I experienced at all!
    -very low morale among employees. sad because the brand is a good brand and their product is quality.

This is where the problems start. There are some knowledgeable leaders on the VP/exec level, but the environment is such that their inspiration only goes so far. The trickle down effect is completely washed out on the assistant and associate level workers who are doing most of the grunt work. It eludes me what the managers actually do.

There are some real duds below the VPs, and it leaves little room for wanting to take the initiative or put any added energy into the job. Gut the lower to mid level management and start over with the VPs and bottom people.

Worked for Oakley? Contribute to the Community!