Oakley

Oakley Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Oakley CEO Colin Baden

Colin Baden

Pros:
  • "Laid back environment, Great Benefits"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Laid back atmosphere, Casual, No real dress code, Can be fun"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management in this company are extremely biased"
    in 8 reviews
  • "High turnover, due to the prestige of the company"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ultra micro managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oakley

ProsHours are great if you compare to normal retail hours

ConsPoor management at his location

This company doesn't value their employees the way that they should.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oakley part-time

ProsOakley is great when it comes to the lifestyle of the company. They host fun events, like dress up days, soap box races, and even giant slip and slides. The discount is extremely nice as well.

ConsThe upper management in this company are extremely biased. They let emotions get involved in their job, hold grudges, pick favorites, and don't give credit where credit is deserved. If you want to work for Oakley and work your way up to a higher position, good luck! There are so many corporate politics involved that unless you enjoy having brown on your nose 24-7 you won't go far. The pay is by far an embarrassment. You might as well work for nothing. They keep part time employees just below full time hours to prevent having to give them benefits. The higher ups do nothing but focus on the negatives and never show gratitude to the employees that are doing all of the hard work. They weed out all of their best employees that know they aren't being treated right because they know someone else is lined up willing to take their job for less. Not to mention the quality of the products has gone down significantly since the buy out a few years ago. Overall, I think that Oakley seems like a great company to work for from the outsider looking in but it's not until you work there that you realize it isn't what it's cracked up to be. I'd rather sit at a desk, be appreciated for my hard work, and get better pay than have slip and slides to make up for being treated like crap, and getting paid pennies to work myself to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management in this company needs an overhaul. HR regulations need to be inputted on a stronger level, not at a lower employee level but at the upper management level. Management needs to stop letting their personal feelings conflict with their ability to perform as a manager.

No transparency. No benefits. Lies all around from this company.

Finance and Accounting (Former Employee)

I worked at Oakley full-time for more than a year

ProsDress casual
Cool people
The company does not offer too much aside from that since the culture has dramatically changed since the buyout from Luxotica.

ConsThey do not promote internally and are extremely shady in their dealings. Management defers responsibilities entirely to workers and assume nothing on their side. This is of all management in Credit/AR/Accounting. The management of the finance/accounting department is terrible. Pay is equally bad with 3% raises being your maximum. 3% when you're never offered promotions is not enough to keep anyone talented in this economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGuide some of your employees and mentor them for the future. You treat them like sweatshop workers. There are plenty of talented people in the company and you should not have to resort to outside recruiting for every open position.

Lackluster company given current management

Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley

ProsCompany that values its products, designs, and stands behind them strongly
Awesome peers (excluding mgmt)

ConsUpper management that has no clue how to treat or approach individuals. Not uncommon to hear yelling or shouting matches. No career paths created for employees. Management more concerned with how they can get ahead no matter the cost. Many are struggling with the more corporate structure being brought by Luxottica. Not the best environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoll your people and take action, recent polls with no action are the same as not doing anything. Fix HR its a joke they have friendships with managers and at the end if the day do what best suits management not the employee.

It really sucks.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Oakley

ProsDiscount and the location, that's it.

ConsUpper management's unrealistic goals and fantasy world mentality.

Advice to Senior Managementspend a day or two a month to directly deal with customers.

sold a ton of promises and no follow through

Merchandiser (Former Employee)

I worked at Oakley

Pros-good consumer brand awareness
-employee discount on eyewear and apparel (makes for great gifts to friends and family)
-fantastically talented designers and graphics artists - tons of potential for creativity
-excellent resume builder

Cons-no clear management structure
-completely disorganized as far as corporate priorities and initiatives to reach goals
-conflicting orders from supervisors and managers
-sees itself as an action sports brand, but is getting lost in the corporate structure so there is no clear perspective and no clear understanding of how to navigate for long-term success
-reactionary "drop everything and do this" attitude
-total disrespect for teamwork - teams are not encouraged in reality
-tons of whispering in the office - have never worked in such a negative, backstabbing environment and have been working for 10 years!
-constant finger pointing by managers out of fear that they will lose their own job
-not an environment that fosters professional growth or loyalty within the company
-27% turnover rate during my employment (a little over 6 months!). when I asked about this in my interview knowing Oakley had a high turnover rate in the past, I was told they'd restructured and now it is stable. That is not what I experienced at all!
-very low morale among employees. sad because the brand is a good brand and their product is quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is where the problems start. There are some knowledgeable leaders on the VP/exec level, but the environment is such that their inspiration only goes so far. The trickle down effect is completely washed out on the assistant and associate level workers who are doing most of the grunt work. It eludes me what the managers actually do.

There are some real duds below the VPs, and it leaves little room for wanting to take the initiative or put any added energy into the job. Gut the lower to mid level management and start over with the VPs and bottom people.

Disappointing

I have been working at Oakley full-time

ProsNo dress code...flexible with start times.

ConsFavoritism is out of control! It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Low salaries...working at a "cool" place doesn't pay the bills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees. Don't just expect loyalty , but return it!

Oakley Employee Store. No brainer job, no desire for growth opportunities!!!

Management (Former Employee)
Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley part-time for more than a year

ProsOnly skilled required is know how to fold a t-shirt. (Folding board included).
Retail store on a corporate schedule, closed on most holidays.

ConsWork hard does not pay off.
Compensation is very poor. Bonus structure is ONLY for upper management.
Favoritism by upper management. It is all based on who you know.
HR does not take any complaints seriously and does not look into resolving any situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementLength of employment does not always mean they are the most qualified person for the job. Show more appreciation to the little people (store associates) , without them, your business would not be as successful as it is.

The all believe in their own HYPE.

I have been working at Oakley full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discounts on products, can bring dog to work occasionally.

ConsThe pay is disgraceful, but they got them lined up at the door begging to get in because it's so "cool". Very unprofessional attitudes, reckless behavior. Some of the stuff that goes on is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking your own Kool-Aid.

Great place to work until...

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at Oakley full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee Discount, Clothing Allowance, Great Culture, Great team atmosphere, Great customers for the most part.. it is retail.

ConsNo advancement opportunities, Upper management will make up reasons to get rid of you if you dont do everything they say.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Oakley brand has taken a huge hit since Luxottica group took over. The glasses are made extrememly cheap with an 80% mark up. Listen to your employees and stop trying to increase the bottom line at the price of the brand.

Worked for Oakley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oakley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oakley CEO Colin Baden. All 115 reviews posted anonymously by Oakley employees.