Oakley Reviews

186 reviews filtered by
3.4
Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 17 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance, still corporate but you can work out during lunch breaks and adhere to a casual dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills (in 10 reviews)

• Then compound this wiaht no career path and pay which is at least 15-20% below the area average (in 4 reviews)

Avoid Oakley at all costs. They will bait-and-switch you, I promise.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on glasses that you would otherwise not buy, because Oakley hasn't been relevant since the early 90s.

Cons

Insanely bureaucratic decision making, terribly disorganized, incredibly wasteful with money, role redundancy, sub-optimal health benefits, bait-and-switch job description tactics to lure talent, IT locks computers up completely making you unable to perform even the most basic tasks, and the most glaring issue is that 90% of the workforce is at an age where they are "set in their ways" so it's impossible to push changes through. The company continues to boast their "innovation" when they haven't done anything innovative since the 80s...and instead of building new stories, they just keep telling the same one.

Advice to Management

Allow the experts you've hired to do their jobs instead using middlemen to handle things, because there's nothing subtle about surrounding yourself with inexperienced eye candy...especially when they can't perform the simplest tasks.

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can manage a year as a new graduate for your resume, then kudos to you. They hire young and very dumb...which tells you the direction the company is going.
    You can bring your dog to work.
    Employee discount.

Cons

Very high attrition. Company struggles for months and months to fill executive positions. They claim because it is from lack of qualified applicants. That's rich. Lots of turnover. Nobody knows anything or can train because chances are, they are new like you.
    Drama. Lots of gossip, backstabbing, backbiting, threats, you name it. Luckily, I was only a witness, but this is the most petty, childish environment I've ever worked in. People choose bonuses over doing a project with international impact correctly.
    No information is written down. Hopefully, you find someone that isn't an idiot (good luck!) and has time to help you. I was lucky enough to have one person help me, but that person was clearly miserable.
    Lots of "cool" aid to pretend to choke down.
    Lots of playing with numbers to get the results executive management wants to present.
    This company has a bad reputation. I offered a referral to a new graduate once and they said no way.

Advice to Management

No one will listen anyway. Too much infighting, bragging about accomplishments at prior companies and cries of we will take over the world. Literally.

BAD

Current Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is very difficult for me to list pros as things have changed considerably since I started working here years ago. Here we go:
    1- Very well-known and highly respected brand
    2- some really cool, intelligent, hardworking colleagues
    3- some of the product is great
    4- casual environment
    5- employee store, gym, cafeteria, health center

Cons

1- CEO that has no business being a CEO (he is an architect for goodness sake) - very nice guy, but wrong job
    2- Executive team that just runs in circles depending on what Lux asks for
    3- No clear direct from the top down
    4- zero accountability throughout the org
    5- if you are friends with the right people or kiss the right butt, you can probably get a promotion
    6- an HR team that most employees don't trust. How can you have an HR team that no one trusts?
    7- an HR team that doesn't have any clue what most people do. Try asking them for a job description. Ha! or salary requirements. What a joke.
    8- Incredibly slow manufacturing (World-class? Not quite)
    9- a new "cover your butt" mentality from everyone
    10- No diversity on the eyewear design team- all young, asian males that came from the car industry. Let's get some new perspective in here. You wonder why people are complaining that our designs are not cool anymore?
    11- False sense of "perks"- casual environment, with athlete appearances are pretty commonplace in the Action Sports industry is southern California.
    13- Hard working employees are spread so thin because management keeps giving them more work.
    14- A sales team that spent years not selling but "taking orders" are now forced to sell and don't know how to do it.
    15- horrible training- new employee, store associate, reps etc
    16 -those cool, intelligent and hardworking people are leaving in droves. Every week we hear about another rockstar employee leaving for a better position, or worse leaving without another job just because they can't take it anymore.
    17- no career development
    18- Managers that do not know how to manage people
    19- Management team that seems like they all have 1 foot out of the door, just waiting for a better opportunity to come along
    20- the "culture" that we used to hang our hat on is gone. No one even knows how to define the culture anymore.
    21- very unhappy, overworked colleagues just waiting to get out
    22- poor decisions made in silos without input from the people or teams most affected

Advice to Management

1- Start making decisions, share those decisions and work towards those decisions more consistently
    2- appreciate your employees BEFORE they quit
    3- FIRE people that suck (even if they have been here a long time)
    4- Work on career development and growth. Stop with the talent development trainings in the theater and start doing one-on-one training with the managers. Most have never managed people before and are in desperate need of help.
    5- Get more transparent. Huge complaint is not knowing what is going on at the top.

Assembler

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Great products. Good discount. Permanent hired can even get more of discount.

Cons

Blue-collar workers work hard but being treated like crap. As an assembler, if you missed one icon, don't even think about going to work the next day. If you work slower than the other person in line, largely have chance of being fired. They want the quantity and they push workers work really fast. The management simply don't treat the blue-collar workers like human beings. Just an Insecurity job, unnecessary stress and cheap pay.

Working to figure out what Luxottica wants...

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Oakley makes great lenses. Their sunglass styles are simply losing appeal. But great lenses

Cons

This company has a management team that works each day figuring out what Luxottica wants. They've lost their edge and instead of behaving as a disruptive company, they are forcing a tag that is the complete antithesis of their designs. FLAT. And ugly.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots. Never would Oakley need to tell folks what they were, they simply behaved and presented products that were disruptive.

Sold a bill of goods

Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Oakley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are well above average for retail.
    A work life balance is offered that is not typically found in retail
    50 discount on apparel, footwear, and accessories.
    70% discount on eyewear
    Free clothes every quarter

Cons

I was completely comfortable working where I was at. I was appreciated and was working my way towards a career path. Oakley approached me and said they wanted me to run their new store in Louisville, KY. I never applied for the position until they requested that I do so. I was never involved in the hiring process and my position was the last to be filled.

From the 1st day of employment I had an assistant that is what I term a "spotlight Ranger." He would go out of his way to be in the limelight. He was very self-aggrandizing and my district manager and trainers lauded over him. I felt something was up with him from day 1. My gut instinct told me he was very dishonest and probably not anything close to what he was making himself out to be.

It didn't take long for my "rockstar" assistant to begin throwing me under the bus to my district manager. He would disregard my orders to complete tasks and then he would take photos of the store and send them to my district manager. I received weekly scoldings from her for my lack of leadership and competence. The whole time I knew in the back of my mind that my assistant was up to something. Within the first month of employment I caught him ringing out his own purchase, and then doing his own return. I immediately brought this up to my district manager who questioned him and then brushed my concerns aside.

I did the best I could to run the store while a key member of my management team worked diligently against me instead of with me. He continously failed to complete tasks and ignored directives from me all the while being completely closed to any coaching. After nearly two months of employment and the store being open I had nagging suspicions that he was committing theft from the store. I kept my suspicions to myself as I had an non-supportive and absentee district manager.

My "rockstar" started to miss work and my attempts to document him were dismissed by HR as being retaliatory. "Rockstar" ended up taking a leave of absence after stating he wanted to hurt himself at work. He showed back up to work after two weeks of peaceful bliss in the store with medical release papers I assumed he had signed himself. After being back only a week my other assistant and sales lead approached me with their own suspicions that "Rockstar" was stealing. Now with my management team fully aware of "Rockstar's" antics we began our own investigation together and found that in only two weeks since his return he had done over $2700 in false refunds. "Rockstar" also failed to miss work one day claiming to be a victim of a home invasion and also claimed his paycheck was stolen.

After some hem and hawing with HR and LP we finally moved forward with terminating "Rockstar." He was still employed for another month while myself and my staff, and LP were fully aware of the theft he was committing every shift he worked. Remember that stolen paycheck? He falsely reported that stolen and cashed it at a downtown gas station hoping to get a second paycheck reissued.

With "Rockstar" finally out of the way I did the best I could to get the store back up and running in time for the holiday season. I had a DM that was completely absent. I was an experienced store manager, but brand new to the company and had a staff that was completely brand new as well and my DM never visited the store except for the first week of setting up the store.

We were all hired knowing the store would be remodeled for two weeks. We were shocked to find out that the store would be closed for five months for a remodel instead. No option for relocation during the remodel was given. I was terminated for what I assume to be failure to protect company assets. At closing we found a large amount of product to be missing as well. If someone was stealing cash from the register I would assume that they would be stealing product as well. Even though I raised my hand and showed that there was theft in the store, did all of the work for LP, I was terminated for failing to protect assets.

Eight months later my old store is remodeled and looks great. The staff there is unmotivated for sure though. The store still fails to hit sales goals. Still fails to hit conversion rates. The staff receives no staff dress, TBI, or promotions because the store is on intensive care for the inventory shortages caused by "Rockstar." I've already been disciplined with termination. Why continue to discipline the staff that had nothing to do with the inventory shortages? People are being disciplined that weren't even employed by the company when the store was opened.

Eights months later and I am still looking for viable employment. In 2009 I was unemployed for a year after being mobilized with the Army Reserves. In 2010 I fought and clawed my way up from an $8 an hour retail employee to a store manager. I was promoted three times by my previous company before Oakley sold me on their rainbows and unicorns. Now I am right back to where I was five years ago. Thanks Oakley!

Inexperienced Corporate Management with High-turnover at the Tactical Level

I worked at Oakley

Pros

- Employee discount (stock up while you're in)
    - Free beer (pbr, anyone?)
    - All day meetings/offsites that make it seem like you're working, but really aren't (seriously though)

Cons

Poor Oakley. Great products, but a confused brand with an even more lost and confused corporate team.

Oakley seems to be very top heavy in the management/leadership department. However, those in leadership are not humble enough to realize that they can't do the work alone (or at all in some aspects). They need talented, hard working individuals, and they need to value and appreciate those people when they actually have them. Oakley uses high employee discounts, free beer and the occasional slip-in-slide to engage employees and hope that they don't realize that they are getting no development, no promotion and little to no raise.

If you're looking to develop a career, find a mentor and/or further yourself professionally with any sort of positive promotional outlook, Oakley may not be for you. If you like drama, wondering if you're on the chopping block constantly or working for ungrateful management - go for it.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, it's leadership that develops the vision and the people that actually bring it to life. Oakley needs to humble itself and realize this.

9. employees are a commodity

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it's getting really difficult to find a reason to stay

Cons

new management is being filled with Italians, no internal growth

Advice to Management

quit, or your employees will end up leaving

10. Ultra micro managed

I worked at Oakley

Pros

Hours are great if you compare to normal retail hours

Cons

Poor management at his location

11. This company doesn't value their employees the way that they should.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time

Pros

Oakley is great when it comes to the lifestyle of the company. They host fun events, like dress up days, soap box races, and even giant slip and slides. The discount is extremely nice as well.

Cons

The upper management in this company are extremely biased. They let emotions get involved in their job, hold grudges, pick favorites, and don't give credit where credit is deserved. If you want to work for Oakley and work your way up to a higher position, good luck! There are so many corporate politics involved that unless you enjoy having brown on your nose 24-7 you won't go far. The pay is by far an embarrassment. You might as well work for nothing. They keep part time employees just below full time hours to prevent having to give them benefits. The higher ups do nothing but focus on the negatives and never show gratitude to the employees that are doing all of the hard work. They weed out all of their best employees that know they aren't being treated right because they know someone else is lined up willing to take their job for less. Not to mention the quality of the products has gone down significantly since the buy out a few years ago. Overall, I think that Oakley seems like a great company to work for from the outsider looking in but it's not until you work there that you realize it isn't what it's cracked up to be. I'd rather sit at a desk, be appreciated for my hard work, and get better pay than have slip and slides to make up for being treated like crap, and getting paid pennies to work myself to the bone.

Advice to Management

The upper management in this company needs an overhaul. HR regulations need to be inputted on a stronger level, not at a lower employee level but at the upper management level. Management needs to stop letting their personal feelings conflict with their ability to perform as a manager.