Oakley

Updated August 20, 2014

3.5

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 16 reviews)

• Laid back environment, Great Benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There tends to be a disconnect from upper management and the floor staff (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of structure is fun, but makes for many lazy, unaccountable colleagues - be prepared to do the jobs of others (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Working to figure out what Luxottica wants...

Pros

Oakley makes great lenses. Their sunglass styles are simply losing appeal. But great lenses

Cons

This company has a management team that works each day figuring out what Luxottica wants. They've lost their edge and instead of behaving as a disruptive company, they are forcing a tag that is the complete antithesis of their designs. FLAT. And ugly.

Get back to your roots. Never would Oakley need to tell folks what they were, they simply behaved and presented products that were disruptive.

Sold a bill of goods

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

The pay and benefits are well above average for retail.
    A work life balance is offered that is not typically found in retail
    50 discount on apparel, footwear, and accessories.
    70% discount on eyewear
    Free clothes every quarter

Cons

I was completely comfortable working where I was at. I was appreciated and was working my way towards a career path. Oakley approached me and said they wanted me to run their new store in Louisville, KY. I never applied for the position until they requested that I do so. I was never involved in the hiring process and my position was the last to be filled.

From the 1st day of employment I had an assistant that is what I term a "spotlight Ranger." He would go out of his way to be in the limelight. He was very self-aggrandizing and my district manager and trainers lauded over him. I felt something was up with him from day 1. My gut instinct told me he was very dishonest and probably not anything close to what he was making himself out to be.

It didn't take long for my "rockstar" assistant to begin throwing me under the bus to my district manager. He would disregard my orders to complete tasks and then he would take photos of the store and send them to my district manager. I received weekly scoldings from her for my lack of leadership and competence. The whole time I knew in the back of my mind that my assistant was up to something. Within the first month of employment I caught him ringing out his own purchase, and then doing his own return. I immediately brought this up to my district manager who questioned him and then brushed my concerns aside.

I did the best I could to run the store while a key member of my management team worked diligently against me instead of with me. He continously failed to complete tasks and ignored directives from me all the while being completely closed to any coaching. After nearly two months of employment and the store being open I had nagging suspicions that he was committing theft from the store. I kept my suspicions to myself as I had an non-supportive and absentee district manager.

My "rockstar" started to miss work and my attempts to document him were dismissed by HR as being retaliatory. "Rockstar" ended up taking a leave of absence after stating he wanted to hurt himself at work. He showed back up to work after two weeks of peaceful bliss in the store with medical release papers I assumed he had signed himself. After being back only a week my other assistant and sales lead approached me with their own suspicions that "Rockstar" was stealing. Now with my management team fully aware of "Rockstar's" antics we began our own investigation together and found that in only two weeks since his return he had done over $2700 in false refunds. "Rockstar" also failed to miss work one day claiming to be a victim of a home invasion and also claimed his paycheck was stolen.

After some hem and hawing with HR and LP we finally moved forward with terminating "Rockstar." He was still employed for another month while myself and my staff, and LP were fully aware of the theft he was committing every shift he worked. Remember that stolen paycheck? He falsely reported that stolen and cashed it at a downtown gas station hoping to get a second paycheck reissued.

With "Rockstar" finally out of the way I did the best I could to get the store back up and running in time for the holiday season. I had a DM that was completely absent. I was an experienced store manager, but brand new to the company and had a staff that was completely brand new as well and my DM never visited the store except for the first week of setting up the store.

We were all hired knowing the store would be remodeled for two weeks. We were shocked to find out that the store would be closed for five months for a remodel instead. No option for relocation during the remodel was given. I was terminated for what I assume to be failure to protect company assets. At closing we found a large amount of product to be missing as well. If someone was stealing cash from the register I would assume that they would be stealing product as well. Even though I raised my hand and showed that there was theft in the store, did all of the work for LP, I was terminated for failing to protect assets.

Eight months later my old store is remodeled and looks great. The staff there is unmotivated for sure though. The store still fails to hit sales goals. Still fails to hit conversion rates. The staff receives no staff dress, TBI, or promotions because the store is on intensive care for the inventory shortages caused by "Rockstar." I've already been disciplined with termination. Why continue to discipline the staff that had nothing to do with the inventory shortages? People are being disciplined that weren't even employed by the company when the store was opened.

Eights months later and I am still looking for viable employment. In 2009 I was unemployed for a year after being mobilized with the Army Reserves. In 2010 I fought and clawed my way up from an $8 an hour retail employee to a store manager. I was promoted three times by my previous company before Oakley sold me on their rainbows and unicorns. Now I am right back to where I was five years ago. Thanks Oakley!

Fun, refreshing place to be....

Current Employee - Human Resources Department  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Foothill Ranch, CA

Pros

Office culture is fun - especially the casual dress work environment, and openness to new ideas in making things better. Employee store allotment is amazing too! Benefits are very good and inexpensive, the O Positive health clinic, gym and gym classes on site are the best part of benefits. Some management is great and some are not so great.

Cons

Technology would be the biggest thing needed to improve - there are too many manual processes and fixes when the fix needs to be to invest in its technology. From what I understand, there have been some improvements on this but it could still be better. Vacation needs to be improved - 2 weeks for professional exempt levels is too low to be competitive. Furlough for the week of Christmas should be paid, where employees don't have to use their vacation days. There needs to be more focus on next steps, growth opportunities and programs to increase knowledge and experience.

Create more opportunities for growth, training and getting your team up to the next level in promotions -- if this were to happen, more people would stay long term.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Special place. Needs more vision.

Pros

Good culture, most people are authentic. Great environment. Special place.

Cons

Lack of real vision for the brand / product at the senior most levels.

Good perks/atmosphere, lack of growth opportunities

Pros

Discounts are great and employee store selection is huge. Depending on your department scheduling is flexible and micromanagement is pretty minimal, you're basically held self-accountable. No dress code.

Cons

Pay is low and you're lucky to get if you get a 2% raise during your one yearly review. Employees are expected to be held in awe of the historic brand and hype that is Oakley, even though since Luxottica's acquisition it is becoming harder to justify. Upward mobility is pretty much nonexistent. Seen as a stepping-stone job and highly recognizable brand to pad your resume with as you leapfrog to another company in a couple years and get paid 30% more.

Implement training programs for eager, young professionals so talent stops leaving your company. Hire from within instead of bringing in outsiders for every mid and upper level position. Seems like every person here is either a 20 year vet or leaves in the first three years.

I'm almost at the 2-year mark, and will probably look elsewhere soon for a more lucrative opportunity.

Alright Company

Current Employee - V Minute Assembly Line  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - V Minute Assembly Line in Lake Forest, CA

Pros

Its a decent job that hires quickly and you get paid weekly

Cons

language barrier many non english speakers

Internship Review

Pros

Great work environment where everyone is motivated and has fun, while also getting work done. They treated me very well, especially given I was only an intern. Great ideas at the company.

Cons

Some of the employees tend to drink their own koolaid, but don't back it up with their ideas. Because it's such a big company, it can be a bit bureaucratic at times.

Keep up the fun programming because employees really appreciate it.

Awesome

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

great people
    product knowledge is tough at first but cool to know once you get the hang of it
    laidback environment

Cons

a lot of information at first

Merch

Pros

Sunny California, employe discounts on product

Cons

Cost of living, Luxottica is killing Oakley's brand

IT technician

Current Employee - Information Technology Support  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Support in Foothill Ranch, CA

Pros

Great company culture. Benefits are wonderful. A great place to work!

Cons

Low wages in some areas. High turnover rate in some departments. Very difficult to get hired.

Worked for Oakley? Contribute to the Community!