Oakley

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Oakley CEO Colin Baden
Colin Baden

Pros
  • Very cool work environment, upbeat with a progressive vibe (in 17 reviews)

• Amazing work life balance, still corporate but you can work out during lunch breaks and adhere to a casual dress code (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills (in 10 reviews)

• Then compound this wiaht no career path and pay which is at least 15-20% below the area average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company to work for Ever!!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Oakley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am a contractor but treated as a full time employee. Everyone I have worked with has been fantastic and great at communicating. I have encounter little to no resistance when driving the hiring process. The employees work as a team and the company treats their employees well with perks and benefits.My boss is the very best i have ever worked for.

Cons

It isn't permanent! I work on a contract,part time basis.

Keep doing what you are doing! I love working with Oakley!!

Really Fun Part Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Oakley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product to sell
    Generous employee discount
    Great customers
    Always something new to learn
    Free clothes upon hire

Cons

Very demanding job in terms of product knowledge.
    Must study the product or it will be overwhelming
    Prior sunglass sales experience is preferred
    Low pay

Perhaps take some of the vanity out of the Oakley brand. Sometimes there is alot of arrogance when it comes to Oakley staff and their product
    Also better training would be awesome

Churn is High RPM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Talented, motivated colleagues
    - Great discounts on decent product
    - Casual dress code
    - Good work/life balance
    - Onsite gym and fitness classes

Cons

- Constant conflicting directives from silo-ed upper management, resulting in fire drills.
    - The churn rate will make your head spin - lots of talented people come through the door and then inevitably leave for better opportunities.
    - When these talented people leave, many make impassioned pleas to HR about things that need to change. These are typically met with a donkey nod or a blank stare.
    - There's really no mandate to "attract and retain top talent," that's just a slogan.
    - The brand seems to be losing relevancy and those in decision-making roles are reacting instead of "innovating."
    - Lower than market rate pay and little or no clear path to career advancement, unless you are part of the "bro-brah" club.
    - Furlough days established during the downturn require you to use vacation time during the holidays. Time to end these.

Be truly "disruptive" and step down or aside when you know that you are negatively affecting the brand and employee morale. This will probably never happen, as those in the C-suite seem to be clinging like barnacles to their fiefdoms. If the company mandate is truly about retaining talent, then adjust salaries to be market rate and promote from within. Your employees are leaving in droves to places like Google, Apple, Nike and Sony. Take note and stop the hemorrhaging.

IT Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company with a good history. There is a lot to do and a lot to learn. They are very good with work/life balance. They provide a lot of activities to stay active.

Cons

A lot has changed since Luxottica took over. It's not the same Oakley that it once was. Parking SUCKS at HQ.

Great experience with room to grow!

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Arlington, VA

I worked at Oakley part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exciting atmosphere, great coworkers and supervisors. Great experience working their with opportunities to advance within the company. Great pay inside of the company as well.

Cons

If you have a troubled time remembering information about various products, this may not be the place for you.

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you can manage a year as a new graduate for your resume, then kudos to you. They hire young and very dumb...which tells you the direction the company is going.
    You can bring your dog to work.
    Employee discount.

Cons

Very high attrition. Company struggles for months and months to fill executive positions. They claim because it is from lack of qualified applicants. That's rich. Lots of turnover. Nobody knows anything or can train because chances are, they are new like you.
    Drama. Lots of gossip, backstabbing, backbiting, threats, you name it. Luckily, I was only a witness, but this is the most petty, childish environment I've ever worked in. People choose bonuses over doing a project with international impact correctly.
    No information is written down. Hopefully, you find someone that isn't an idiot (good luck!) and has time to help you. I was lucky enough to have one person help me, but that person was clearly miserable.
    Lots of "cool" aid to pretend to choke down.
    Lots of playing with numbers to get the results executive management wants to present.
    This company has a bad reputation. I offered a referral to a new graduate once and they said no way.

No one will listen anyway. Too much infighting, bragging about accomplishments at prior companies and cries of we will take over the world. Literally.

Fun, refreshing place to be....

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is fun - especially the casual dress work environment, and openness to new ideas in making things better. Employee store allotment is amazing too! Benefits are very good and inexpensive, the O Positive health clinic, gym and gym classes on site are the best part of benefits. Some management is great and some are not so great.

Cons

Technology would be the biggest thing needed to improve - there are too many manual processes and fixes when the fix needs to be to invest in its technology. From what I understand, there have been some improvements on this but it could still be better. Vacation needs to be improved - 2 weeks for professional exempt levels is too low to be competitive. Furlough for the week of Christmas should be paid, where employees don't have to use their vacation days. There needs to be more focus on next steps, growth opportunities and programs to increase knowledge and experience.

Create more opportunities for growth, training and getting your team up to the next level in promotions -- if this were to happen, more people would stay long term.

BAD

Current Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is very difficult for me to list pros as things have changed considerably since I started working here years ago. Here we go:
    1- Very well-known and highly respected brand
    2- some really cool, intelligent, hardworking colleagues
    3- some of the product is great
    4- casual environment
    5- employee store, gym, cafeteria, health center

Cons

1- CEO that has no business being a CEO (he is an architect for goodness sake) - very nice guy, but wrong job
    2- Executive team that just runs in circles depending on what Lux asks for
    3- No clear direct from the top down
    4- zero accountability throughout the org
    5- if you are friends with the right people or kiss the right butt, you can probably get a promotion
    6- an HR team that most employees don't trust. How can you have an HR team that no one trusts?
    7- an HR team that doesn't have any clue what most people do. Try asking them for a job description. Ha! or salary requirements. What a joke.
    8- Incredibly slow manufacturing (World-class? Not quite)
    9- a new "cover your butt" mentality from everyone
    10- No diversity on the eyewear design team- all young, asian males that came from the car industry. Let's get some new perspective in here. You wonder why people are complaining that our designs are not cool anymore?
    11- False sense of "perks"- casual environment, with athlete appearances are pretty commonplace in the Action Sports industry is southern California.
    13- Hard working employees are spread so thin because management keeps giving them more work.
    14- A sales team that spent years not selling but "taking orders" are now forced to sell and don't know how to do it.
    15- horrible training- new employee, store associate, reps etc
    16 -those cool, intelligent and hardworking people are leaving in droves. Every week we hear about another rockstar employee leaving for a better position, or worse leaving without another job just because they can't take it anymore.
    17- no career development
    18- Managers that do not know how to manage people
    19- Management team that seems like they all have 1 foot out of the door, just waiting for a better opportunity to come along
    20- the "culture" that we used to hang our hat on is gone. No one even knows how to define the culture anymore.
    21- very unhappy, overworked colleagues just waiting to get out
    22- poor decisions made in silos without input from the people or teams most affected

1- Start making decisions, share those decisions and work towards those decisions more consistently
    2- appreciate your employees BEFORE they quit
    3- FIRE people that suck (even if they have been here a long time)
    4- Work on career development and growth. Stop with the talent development trainings in the theater and start doing one-on-one training with the managers. Most have never managed people before and are in desperate need of help.
    5- Get more transparent. Huge complaint is not knowing what is going on at the top.

Special place. Needs more vision.

I worked at Oakley

Pros

Good culture, most people are authentic. Great environment. Special place.

Cons

Lack of real vision for the brand / product at the senior most levels.

Assembler

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Great products. Good discount. Permanent hired can even get more of discount.

Cons

Blue-collar workers work hard but being treated like crap. As an assembler, if you missed one icon, don't even think about going to work the next day. If you work slower than the other person in line, largely have chance of being fired. They want the quantity and they push workers work really fast. The management simply don't treat the blue-collar workers like human beings. Just an Insecurity job, unnecessary stress and cheap pay.