Oakton Community College

3.7

CEO

Great place to work!!

I have been working at Oakton Community College

Pros

Great working environment and wonderful people.

Cons

I can't find anything negative.

Oakton Community College is an academic institution that excels in education, but could improve in administration.

I worked at Oakton Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After much consideration and experience, teaching opportunities were provided. Professional development opportunities within teaching were encouraged, as were creative teaching techniques. Mentorships within teaching were also utilized and adhered to. Finally, evaluations were given and taken seriously, which made myself and others better instructors.

Cons

For staff members, there is little opportunity for growth or compensation increase, beyond continuing one's education towards a PhD. Even with that, compensation growth is limited. Unless staff members attempt to teach classes (which can be challenging depending on the department one works in), professional development and growth is limited.

Encouragement to expand one's professional development opportunities is necessary. Many staff members try to teach classes in addition to their full-time positions, to earn additional income and out of interest. In many cases, this is the only manner of obtaining increased compensation, as there are no other merit raises provided. It was a large hurdle to jump over to be able to teach, and I encourage management to be more encouraging of their staff members who choose to add teaching to their daily activities for this reason. If this cannot be accommodated, then I encourage management to provide additional merit raises or sources of additional income provided so that staff members maintain motivation to be employed at OCC.

Good school, but limited opportunities for career advancement.

I have been working at Oakton Community College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability. Benefits. Lots of good people dedicated to serving students.

Cons

Oakton seldom promotes within. Unfortunately, some newly hired managers, including senior managers ("the new blood") are utterly self-centered and incompetent. They not only destroy the employees' life, but ultimately worsen the student experience.

Value your people. Understand what they do best and let them do it. This will make them happy, increase productivity and creativity, and will make you look good too! Learn the Progress Principle and start using it!

Provides good exposure for individuals looking for good experience.

I worked at Oakton Community College

Pros

Comfortable working environment. Staff and management easily approachable for questions and assistance. Provides a foundation to improve social skills in a relax setting.

Cons

No benefits for part-time workers.

Wonderful atmosphere of nice people

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Oakton Community College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice campus, helpful people. Great opportunities for part-time work if you have a master's degree, especially and would like to teach in your area of expertise.

Cons

No benefits for part-timers yet.

Great place to be an adjunct

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Oakton Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Treated with respect by other faculty. Supportive environment for students.

Cons

Adjunct pay is terrible, but not as bad as other places.

Good place to work under the right circumstance

I have been working at Oakton Community College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Plenty of PTO.
    - Good benefits.
    - Challenging work that always changes for the better. You definitely don't get bored.

Cons

- Inter-departmental animosity
    - Being staff I've been told directly by an Admin I have less value than faculty.
    - Thoughts regarding how a department should be run is very antiquated.
    - Arbitrary rules regarding schedule makes it not a family friendly place to work.
    - We get preached things must be done by the book only to find out "by the book" is not really practiced throughout the college. Probably why they get sued all the time from current and past employees.

- Administration needs to lose the "us v them" attitude.
    - Jobs and personal life must be balanced to keep an employee happy. Not everyone thinks our work days should be at least 12 hours a day.

Multi-level discriminatory environment masquerading as a “culturally diverse” organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Oakton Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Freedom to develop your own meaningful and interesting work, or not.
    - Colleagues are supportive of one another, if you're in their click.
    - If you navigate all the levels of politics, or simply understand that there is much laziness and incompetence: it's not a bad place to work at.

Cons

- Organization with poor performing leadership with sites primarily on their retirement
    - A clueless Board of Trustees
    - An "us and them" atmosphere (full-time/part-time for example)
    - Reverse discrimination environment masquerading as a “culturally diverse” organization.
    - Multi-tier favoritism practiced. For instance part-timers are considered less valuable employees, and treated as such.
    - Position candidates chosen on ethnicity, religion, skin color, and gender rather than on qualifications.
    White males need not apply here (especially for faculty positions), you won’t get hired at OCC because of your skin color and gender. Are you looking for an IT help desk position? If you're not Indian, you probably won't get the job. Want to work in the library, you better be female. These are just some examples...

Watch your back.

Challenging work in a supportive environment.

I have been working at Oakton Community College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The students keep the work meaningful and interesting. Colleagues are supportive of one another. There are many opportunities for professional development and to be involved outside of regular job responsibilities.

Cons

Two campus culture (Des Plaines and Skokie) is sometimes problematic. Top heavy organization in some areas, but vast improvements have occurred over the last 10 years.

Encourage employee development outside of the bounds of the traditional annual performance review.

Great opportunity while in school

Former Employee - Student Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Oakton Community College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for students who need it most. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

There are no benefits and employment can be terminated at any time due to departmental budget cuts. Positions go from semester-to-semester.