Oakwood Systems Group

Updated September 30, 2014
4.7

Oakwood Systems Group President & CEO Charles Windsor
Charles Windsor

Oakwood offers an engaging, challenging and fun work environment for Microsoft technology consultants.

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The teamwork has been great, people are helpful and the environment is fun. It's a work hard, play hard environment. Getting certified in current Microsoft technologies is encouraged, and rewarded.

Cons

The pace can be tough, but that's not unique to Oakwood, that's consulting in general.

Oakwood does a good job of letting people pursue what's interesting to them - continue to empower your staff by encouraging that.

Good Technical Opportunities But Ownership Out of Touch and Difficult Company Culture

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some good opportunities to grow your technical skills.

Cons

Ownership does not value the employees and completely out of touch with clients as well as employees. Experience is not valued. Made clear that technical resources can be easily replaced. Client satisfaction is poor on most projects even though company tries to spin making it sound positive. Will take any project regardless of whether company can deliver. Benefits are expensive and poor choices provided. Promise of bonuses never materialize.

Ownership needs to sell or stay out of day to day business. Use to have some great leaders in management but will not listen to them. Value your delivery people and their experience.

Oakwood Systems Group is a great company.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional and friendly environment, good benefits, steady work for most roles, big growth on the horizon, lots of in-office perks.

Cons

Oakwood was unable to continue finding work to fit my career path due to extenuating circumstances, location changes for other employees could be frequent

Don't lose your personal touch as Oakwood skyrockets.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work! Lot's of Potential for Career Growth!

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to work with latest technologies. Operational Support for clients is minimal. Most of the time we work on a project or implementation then turn over the keys to the client for day-to-day administration and support, which is great and takes a lot of headaches out of this type of work when compared to working a typical IT job for a single organization. Growth in experience is also fast passed having the opportunity to work for multiple organizations and this can help elevate career.

Cons

Minor bumps and challenges due to growing company. Management does a decent job of adjusting to this but sometimes can be challenging to delivery consultants.

Sometimes there is too much focus on trying to grow and client engagements tend get a lack of attention. Things sometimes slip through the cracks resulting in tension with the client that can put projects at risk. Keep the mindset of growing the firm, but don't forget about the bread and butter which is the work on the ground.

Top of the line Microsoft consulting opportunities and excellent culture

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Project opportunities allow for working with the latest technologies. Additionally, I am able to work with a variety of clients that represent organizations of all types and sizes. This leads to gaining experience far quicker than a typical industry job. Despite this I have been able to maintain a work/life balance far better than at previous employers.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there are some bumps along the way - nothing serious but it can sometimes be challenging to stay focused

Great place for Microsoft talent

Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

empassioned organization, very familial atmosphere, excellent healthcare, very good salary,

Cons

It is a sole proprietorship, and the owner can be somewhat mercurial (I'm being charitable). It is in fact a small IT consultancy with strong ambitions to serve large institutions (fortune 500), but it still chases very small engagements because it needs cash-flow. This leads to a number of questionable contracts that are very difficult to service. Consulting talent becomes little better than staff augmentation and cannot provide thought leadership or guidance, particularly when the guidance is not what the customer wants to hear. Oakwood has yet to convince CIOs that it can make a difference to their business if client leadership follows Oakwood's guidance to help the client be successful. This leaves simple staff augmentation, application development, and basic infrastructure services as the value add. OH, the performance review process is a real circus. It's so silly I can't even get disappointed. Monty Python comes to mind. Their heart is in the right place though.

Charles does a lot of things well. He needs to liberate himself from his big 5 glory days though, and work his organization for what it is, in the market it's in. If he wants to run a true consulting rather than staffing firm (he has both with Talentporte) he and his consulting staff need to learn to provide guidance and have the courage to vacate engagements in which the client is not giving his team due respect and attention. He has the basis for taking it to the next level and he has senior staff who can lead client organizations to success through effective use of technology, but he needs to convince his client base that he and his staff can do so, and if the client does not agree be prepared to wish them well.

Growing company, good projects, great people, good environment

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group

Pros

Great team of people, I always can get help when I need it, and I get asked for help too. New office is cool. Opportunity to learn. Microsoft partnership is very good. I like the variety of projects I get to do, and seeing how different companies use technology.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like there is too much going on. Very busy place. On the other hand, I am never bored.

Glad I joined Oakwood. I like the social aspects of the company and the chance to get to know my co-workers even if i'm not on a project with them or they are in a different practice.

Cool Place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group

Pros

Fun and smart people, exciting envrionment, good leadership, awesome clients, interesting projects

Cons

nowhere to hide if you're used to hanging in a cube and doing your own thing

spend more money on consultant training

Not a great company to say

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group

Pros

Good Management and growing company

Cons

No Comment at this moment

Study market and increase the pay according to market, since daily commodities are increasing day to day, the salaries are getting paid is not enough and should get revised atleast once a year for all employees and then include their performance apprisal.

Oakwood Systems Group Photos

Headquarters

+ Add Photo

Worked for Oakwood Systems Group? Contribute to the Community!