Oakwood Systems Group

www.oakwoodsys.com

Oakwood Systems Group Reviews

Updated Feb 10, 2014
Oakwood Systems Group – Saint Louis – “Headquarters”

Oakwood Systems Group President & CEO Charles Windsor

Charles Windsor

Oakwood Systems Group is a great company.

Consultant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsProfessional and friendly environment, good benefits, steady work for most roles, big growth on the horizon, lots of in-office perks.

ConsOakwood was unable to continue finding work to fit my career path due to extenuating circumstances, location changes for other employees could be frequent

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose your personal touch as Oakwood skyrockets.

Great Place to Work! Lot's of Potential for Career Growth!

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGet to work with latest technologies. Operational Support for clients is minimal. Most of the time we work on a project or implementation then turn over the keys to the client for day-to-day administration and support, which is great and takes a lot of headaches out of this type of work when compared to working a typical IT job for a single organization. Growth in experience is also fast passed having the opportunity to work for multiple organizations and this can help elevate career.

ConsMinor bumps and challenges due to growing company. Management does a decent job of adjusting to this but sometimes can be challenging to delivery consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes there is too much focus on trying to grow and client engagements tend get a lack of attention. Things sometimes slip through the cracks resulting in tension with the client that can put projects at risk. Keep the mindset of growing the firm, but don't forget about the bread and butter which is the work on the ground.

Top of the line Microsoft consulting opportunities and excellent culture

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsProject opportunities allow for working with the latest technologies. Additionally, I am able to work with a variety of clients that represent organizations of all types and sizes. This leads to gaining experience far quicker than a typical industry job. Despite this I have been able to maintain a work/life balance far better than at previous employers.

ConsThe company is growing fast and there are some bumps along the way - nothing serious but it can sometimes be challenging to stay focused

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for Microsoft talent

Infrastructure Consultant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosempassioned organization, very familial atmosphere, excellent healthcare, very good salary,

ConsIt is a sole proprietorship, and the owner can be somewhat mercurial (I'm being charitable). It is in fact a small IT consultancy with strong ambitions to serve large institutions (fortune 500), but it still chases very small engagements because it needs cash-flow. This leads to a number of questionable contracts that are very difficult to service. Consulting talent becomes little better than staff augmentation and cannot provide thought leadership or guidance, particularly when the guidance is not what the customer wants to hear. Oakwood has yet to convince CIOs that it can make a difference to their business if client leadership follows Oakwood's guidance to help the client be successful. This leaves simple staff augmentation, application development, and basic infrastructure services as the value add. OH, the performance review process is a real circus. It's so silly I can't even get disappointed. Monty Python comes to mind. Their heart is in the right place though.

Advice to Senior ManagementCharles does a lot of things well. He needs to liberate himself from his big 5 glory days though, and work his organization for what it is, in the market it's in. If he wants to run a true consulting rather than staffing firm (he has both with Talentporte) he and his consulting staff need to learn to provide guidance and have the courage to vacate engagements in which the client is not giving his team due respect and attention. He has the basis for taking it to the next level and he has senior staff who can lead client organizations to success through effective use of technology, but he needs to convince his client base that he and his staff can do so, and if the client does not agree be prepared to wish them well.

Growing company, good projects, great people, good environment

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat team of people, I always can get help when I need it, and I get asked for help too. New office is cool. Opportunity to learn. Microsoft partnership is very good. I like the variety of projects I get to do, and seeing how different companies use technology.

ConsSometimes it seems like there is too much going on. Very busy place. On the other hand, I am never bored.

Advice to Senior ManagementGlad I joined Oakwood. I like the social aspects of the company and the chance to get to know my co-workers even if i'm not on a project with them or they are in a different practice.

Cool Place to work!

Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFun and smart people, exciting envrionment, good leadership, awesome clients, interesting projects

Consnowhere to hide if you're used to hanging in a cube and doing your own thing

Advice to Senior Managementspend more money on consultant training

Not a great company to say

ProsGood Management and growing company

ConsNo Comment at this moment

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy market and increase the pay according to market, since daily commodities are increasing day to day, the salaries are getting paid is not enough and should get revised atleast once a year for all employees and then include their performance apprisal.

Worked for Oakwood Systems Group? Contribute to the Community!