Oakwood Systems Group Reviews

Oakwood Systems Group President & CEO Charles Windsor
Charles Windsor

1. Growing company, good projects, great people, good environment

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great team of people, I always can get help when I need it, and I get asked for help too. New office is cool. Opportunity to learn. Microsoft partnership is very good. I like the variety of projects I get to do, and seeing how different companies use technology.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like there is too much going on. Very busy place. On the other hand, I am never bored.

Advice to Management

Glad I joined Oakwood. I like the social aspects of the company and the chance to get to know my co-workers even if i'm not on a project with them or they are in a different practice.

2. Cool Place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Fun and smart people, exciting envrionment, good leadership, awesome clients, interesting projects

Cons

nowhere to hide if you're used to hanging in a cube and doing your own thing

Advice to Management

spend more money on consultant training

Top of the line Microsoft consulting opportunities and excellent culture

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Project opportunities allow for working with the latest technologies. Additionally, I am able to work with a variety of clients that represent organizations of all types and sizes. This leads to gaining experience far quicker than a typical industry job. Despite this I have been able to maintain a work/life balance far better than at previous employers.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there are some bumps along the way - nothing serious but it can sometimes be challenging to stay focused

Great Place to Work! Lot's of Potential for Career Growth!

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with latest technologies. Operational Support for clients is minimal. Most of the time we work on a project or implementation then turn over the keys to the client for day-to-day administration and support, which is great and takes a lot of headaches out of this type of work when compared to working a typical IT job for a single organization. Growth in experience is also fast passed having the opportunity to work for multiple organizations and this can help elevate career.

Cons

Minor bumps and challenges due to growing company. Management does a decent job of adjusting to this but sometimes can be challenging to delivery consultants.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there is too much focus on trying to grow and client engagements tend get a lack of attention. Things sometimes slip through the cracks resulting in tension with the client that can put projects at risk. Keep the mindset of growing the firm, but don't forget about the bread and butter which is the work on the ground.

Oakwood Systems Group is a great company.

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional and friendly environment, good benefits, steady work for most roles, big growth on the horizon, lots of in-office perks.

Cons

Oakwood was unable to continue finding work to fit my career path due to extenuating circumstances, location changes for other employees could be frequent

Advice to Management

Don't lose your personal touch as Oakwood skyrockets.

Oakwood Systems Group Response

Nov 3, 2014 – Sr. Director, Marketing

Thanks so much for taking time to provide feedback. We wish you the best in your future and we'll keep our focus on our treating our consultants and clients with the utmost respect, appreciation and ... More

Oakwood offers an engaging, challenging and fun work environment for Microsoft technology consultants.

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The teamwork has been great, people are helpful and the environment is fun. It's a work hard, play hard environment. Getting certified in current Microsoft technologies is encouraged, and rewarded.

Cons

The pace can be tough, but that's not unique to Oakwood, that's consulting in general.

Advice to Management

Oakwood does a good job of letting people pursue what's interesting to them - continue to empower your staff by encouraging that.

Oakwood Systems Group Response

Nov 3, 2014 – Sr. Director, Marketing

Thanks for the information. We'll continue to work hard at enabling our people to grow and to pursue their interests. We can only get there through the talent and creativity of great people like you. ... More

Oakwood focuses on being the premier leader of technology expertise. I was proud to be a member of the Oakwood family!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork flows throughout the organization. The sharing of best practices, the encouragement of continual learning, and the family like atmosphere was fantastic!

Cons

at times there were tight deadlines based on client demands, but that goes along with any position.

Advice to Management

more consistent / measurable feedback is always encouraged and helpful - to help take employees to the next level.

Great place for Microsoft talent

Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

empassioned organization, very familial atmosphere, excellent healthcare, very good salary,

Cons

It is a sole proprietorship, and the owner can be somewhat mercurial (I'm being charitable). It is in fact a small IT consultancy with strong ambitions to serve large institutions (fortune 500), but it still chases very small engagements because it needs cash-flow. This leads to a number of questionable contracts that are very difficult to service. Consulting talent becomes little better than staff augmentation and cannot provide thought leadership or guidance, particularly when the guidance is not what the customer wants to hear. Oakwood has yet to convince CIOs that it can make a difference to their business if client leadership follows Oakwood's guidance to help the client be successful. This leaves simple staff augmentation, application development, and basic infrastructure services as the value add. OH, the performance review process is a real circus. It's so silly I can't even get disappointed. Monty Python comes to mind. Their heart is in the right place though.

Advice to Management

Charles does a lot of things well. He needs to liberate himself from his big 5 glory days though, and work his organization for what it is, in the market it's in. If he wants to run a true consulting rather than staffing firm (he has both with Talentporte) he and his consulting staff need to learn to provide guidance and have the courage to vacate engagements in which the client is not giving his team due respect and attention. He has the basis for taking it to the next level and he has senior staff who can lead client organizations to success through effective use of technology, but he needs to convince his client base that he and his staff can do so, and if the client does not agree be prepared to wish them well.

10. Great company and people, some struggles have come up though

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oakwood has great people, they are willing to share knowledge within their team as well as with other teams. I think they are on the brink of some exciting stuff.

Cons

Key people have moved on and management needs to find a way to retain. Cannot stay in limbo on this one.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who can lead their teams and allow those managers to do just that. Business isn't always good, but maintain communication and positive leadership. The CEO might need to relinquish some control in order to do this effectively.

Growth opportunity for the self-starter

I have been working at Oakwood Systems Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are willing to work hard and bring solutions, not just problems, you are listened to. If you are willing to define, support and defend a new offering, Oakwood has a history of enabling people to go so far as even starting a new practice. Reviews within at least some groups at Oakwood are established with SMART goals chosen mostly by the employee, aimed at their growth the way they want. The mentorship, training, flexibility and empowerment are simply second to none among companies for whom I have worked.

Cons

Consulting is not for everyone, so having to learn constantly and take on challenges for which you are not yet equipped can be off-putting. There is difficulty in communication from the topmost tier of the organization. The senior leadership seems to believe that allowing difficult news to filter through rumor channels is more effective than directly addressing the concerns. The standard benefits are not the best.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Do it too much. Be transparent even when it hurts. Better communication leading to stronger trust could set this organization on a far better track.

RSS Feed </> Embed