Oakwood Worldwide

Updated December 8, 2014
3.1

Oakwood Worldwide Chairman and CEO Howard F. Ruby
Howard F. Ruby

Pros
  • You get to help people feel good about their new homes (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, fun atmosphere, lots of training (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Perceptibly due to an understaffed and misdirected software development team either by upper management or simply sand bagged by the team directly (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Coordinator

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with excellent training and team atmosphere.

Cons

Not able to work from home after I moved.

Encourage talent and innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Solid Company
    Treat people well
    Strong president
    People like working there. They do want the employees to be successful. The compensation is fair. They have a long history of success and sometimes get stuck in their ways. Strong operational leadership.

Cons

Lacking entrepreneurial spirit- Very top down company and missing out on great ideas at the bottom and middle. Not set up well for top talent to flourish. Weak senior sales leadership. Lack of a clear vision to move forward.

Conduct an employee survey

I interned at Oakwood as a summer temp.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good management and friendly people.

Cons

Sometimes was not prepared for the task at hand due to lack of information given by higher ups.

Increase communication between employees and management.

Great people and work, but feels a little old

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide

Pros

Good people. Satisfying work to do, good opportunities for mentorship if you reach out to people.

Cons

Feels a bit dated as far as culture and relative age. Company is also very far behind technologically.

Hire young, update tech infrastructure and be more open to change.

What A Great Place To Be!!!

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Oakwood Worldwide for seven years going onto my 8th soon. I started out as a temp and six months later they hired me full time. I've held multiple positions within this organization and I've moved my way up at a wonderful pace. I was in Operations for five years and in Sales for the last two years. The mid-level management and up to the senior level executives that I've had the pleasure of working with have been nothing less than wonderful and supportive of my growth. Oakwood Worldwide offers lots of training through their Oakwood University. This organization has a family-oriented feel and people truly care and want to see you succeed. The work-life balance is important and Oakwood understands this. I can't believe some of the negative comments about this organization. If you put your hard work in, people will notice and good things will come. Show that your flexible and willing to learn. Take the initiative and prove that you are willing to go above and beyond the scope of your duties. Prove to your managers that you are worth investing in. That's what I did.

Cons

One thing that I've noticed, and this can be said for many different Fortune 500 companies, is that communication isn't always the best. This organization can work on that. However, it is so much better than where it used to be. The executives have really taken steps to close gaps where it was necessary.

Thank you for standing up for what you believe in. Thank you for being the industry leaders. Thank you for the opportunity.

National Account Representative

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide

Pros

None, zero, complete waste of time and energy, a lot of overweight women if you're comfortable or like that environment.

Cons

No training, 4 interviews with incompetent white trash, recruiter Didnt have a clue terrible as well, did not follow up and gave inaccurate pay info, low balled pay but I was told by manager different amount which seemed a bit off.

Fire yourself, you should be ashamed and embarrassed of yourself, don't be so territorial, accept people with diverse backgrounds and don't be so judgemental, put together a training program, peer to peer interview was a joke. Everyone knows star interview questions are a great way to have made up stories ready before your interview. Although I did enjoy making up my fake dramatic stories with climactic endings on how I saved the day. My advice get a clue.

My experience at Oakwood

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start off pay is ok. This company will not reveal where you are in your salary range. Great health insurance . Flex Account is nice to have for medical emergencies. My manager buys lunch at least once each week.

Cons

Company states they have an open door policy, yet they insist that if you have a problem with an associate, don't go to management. Your evaluation is not solely based on your performance . It is also based on what people that you don't know think of you. Raises are a joke. Management & executive committee play office politics. Management plays favorites & doesn't treat everyone fairly. Still working with Microsoft 2007.

Update your computers! HR needs to be audited. They chose what they want to handle & investigate

Leader in Temporary Housing - Also rising to the top in Temporary Employment

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent entry level pay, numerous entry to mid level opportunities for full time with benefits. Decent 9 to 5 to cover your bills.

Cons

Gross mismanagement and allocation of budget resources

- Severe lack of today's understanding and urgency regarding technological compatibility and advancement resulting in an underfunded IT department and over funded everything else.
    Ex. Allows software development and application improvements to stagnate for months, even years before pulling the trigger on simple change. Perceptibly due to an understaffed and misdirected software development team either by upper management or simply sand bagged by the team directly. Management response to delays / insufficient resources: Not enough money in the budget (either untrue or absolutely true and simply fail at properly funding / staffing the department)
    - Over allocated portion of budget spent on old school marketing practices that make little impact and create minimal visibility for the $ spent.
    Ex. Expensive advertising campaigns boasting quality customer service and industry innovation yet lacking tangible / publicly measurable evidence of improvement. Skating by on under education as to what great service and innovation might equate to in the Temp Housing industry. 1950's "Blamo" Marketing
    - Excessive portion of budget devoted to the salary and roster of multilevel management positions. (Talk about MLM with no one being able to get above the next guy) Instead of solving problems or identifying opportunities for improvement, they ride the problematic wave as long as possible in order to extend their salaried tenure and job security. Unfortunately due to the fact, mostly no fault of their own mind you, that a majority of the solution includes eliminating their position in the company all together. This is the fault of upper management miss identifying the needs of the teams and entry level associates working on those teams. (hiring another layer of management allows the upper level to steer, finger point and excuse their own lack of success and productivity on the premise that they're waiting for lower management's response and reports. If / when they don't produce, the solution is to simply replace them with another recruit and then continue the cycle. Numerous "advisors" - very little "do-ers")

Process and Policy driven environment with complete disregard for common sense improvements, simple changes and employee driven solutions

- Computer applications in place to automate transactions and data communication that are grossly underutilized.
    Ex. Resort to manual solutions such as Excel spreadsheets and unnecessary redundant data entry tasks between departments.. significantly increasing response and communication delays.
    - Never ending circle of goose chasing, ghost pilots and finger pointing to irrelevant, micromanaged stats and data review, producing only a framework for failure with the base level associate being the scapegoat.
    Ex. Numerous busy work tasks with time restraints and deadlines that serve no purpose other than to draw lines in the sand for associates to unavoidably cross and create a history of failure.
    Ex. Setting up metrics and systems to identify challenges and root causes when all they have to do is ask.

Consistent filibustering by management

- Excuse building and opaque, vague responses to associate questioning of business practices
    Ex. When asked some of the tough(er) questions the canned response is "we'll take that off-line". (meaning, we'll put a pin in it so we can remember what to avoid at all costs)

Severe Tenure and Experience degradation throughout the company

- Failed internal promotion and excessive influx of external middle management with zero Temporary Housing experience, resulting in a giant leap backward in the ability to continue previous development and adding a huge learning curve. (of course no client or customer on the outside looking in would be able to realize this)
    Ex. #189 draft pick in the 25th round assigned to coach a team of seasoned team captains.. with no playbook.
    - False appreciation for lower level employee involvement in decision making.
    Ex. Suggestion box and monthly rah-rah (rubbing you raw-raw) sessions in order to create the impression that your ideas and suggestions matter. (Succeeds at improving morale and the feeling of impact in company development. Fails at actually accomplishing this.)

Overall Assessment:

Over a period of time the tenured associate falls to a state of learned helplessness and voluntarily leaves the company seeking better opportunity or a more fulfilling career path.. completing management's over all agenda and design of targeted, planned and selective attrition. Conveniently recycling the lowest level of salary applicable to said positions and refreshing them with new associates full of hope and the promise of opportunity. Fantastically designed and applied for years by the corporate world (not just Oakwood) in order to take advantage of the psychological endurance and deplete the emotional batteries of honest, hard working people all on the notion of career advancement.

It is not required for a company to progress or evolve at a certain pace or be held accountable to any past promises or standards, be it internal or external, as these standards are typically undefinable or measurable by anyone on the outside looking in. It is a game we cannot win, when the one's creating the rules are also appointing the judges, and paying them accordingly.

Unfortunately for the associates actively pursuing a career here, a review such as this one will have little to no beneficial impact or positive change to the work environment. As highly debatable and easily dismissed these reviews are by those responsible, simple disgruntlement is exactly what they'll point to. The only difference here is, while most of the time that would be plausible and often true, I'm not disgruntled at all.. as my goal is not to advance myself or develop a career in the company, so these issues do not apply to me. The website required I complete an analytic review in order to further my access to it's content so I complied based upon my observations and previous experience. Have a nice day.

Transparency, Transparency, Transparency. Establish accountability through true root cause analysis and detailed, relevant explanations as to why we do what we do.. all the way to to top. Prove that what we're told to do is what we must do and is the best course of action given the resources available and provide evidence as to why. This is proven by Transparency, Transparency, Transparency. And more Transparency.

No Communication among management to associates.

Former Employee - GSR in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - GSR in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Assisting people. People that you work with are nice.

Cons

Communication and management/supervisors feeling better than you. Staff too afraid to speak to management about this.

Training needs to be more open than just in the training room and let it be an open communication once you are on the phones. Stop showing personal favoritism of certain people.

good company to work for! chances to grow as long as you are on top of your game.

Current Employee - Internet Account Cord in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Account Cord in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

hours change every six months, based on score cards and not how long you have been here.

Cons

you have to take at least 50 calls a day in order to get anywhere.

Oakwood Worldwide Photos

View from behind the desk

+ Add Photo