Oakwood Worldwide

My experience at Oakwood

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start off pay is ok. This company will not reveal where you are in your salary range. Great health insurance . Flex Account is nice to have for medical emergencies. My manager buys lunch at least once each week.

Cons

Company states they have an open door policy, yet they insist that if you have a problem with an associate, don't go to management. Your evaluation is not solely based on your performance . It is also based on what people that you don't know think of you. Raises are a joke. Management & executive committee play office politics. Management plays favorites & doesn't treat everyone fairly. Still working with Microsoft 2007.

Update your computers! HR needs to be audited. They chose what they want to handle & investigate

No Communication among management to associates.

Former Employee - GSR  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - GSR in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Assisting people. People that you work with are nice.

Cons

Communication and management/supervisors feeling better than you. Staff too afraid to speak to management about this.

Training needs to be more open than just in the training room and let it be an open communication once you are on the phones. Stop showing personal favoritism of certain people.

Leader in Temporary Housing - Also rising to the top in Temporary Employment

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent entry level pay, numerous entry to mid level opportunities for full time with benefits. Decent 9 to 5 to cover your bills.

Cons

Gross mismanagement and allocation of budget resources

- Severe lack of today's understanding and urgency regarding technological compatibility and advancement resulting in an underfunded IT department and over funded everything else.
    Ex. Allows software development and application improvements to stagnate for months, even years before pulling the trigger on simple change. Perceptibly due to an understaffed and misdirected software development team either by upper management or simply sand bagged by the team directly. Management response to delays / insufficient resources: Not enough money in the budget (either untrue or absolutely true and simply fail at properly funding / staffing the department)
    - Over allocated portion of budget spent on old school marketing practices that make little impact and create minimal visibility for the $ spent.
    Ex. Expensive advertising campaigns boasting quality customer service and industry innovation yet lacking tangible / publicly measurable evidence of improvement. Skating by on under education as to what great service and innovation might equate to in the Temp Housing industry. 1950's "Blamo" Marketing
    - Excessive portion of budget devoted to the salary and roster of multilevel management positions. (Talk about MLM with no one being able to get above the next guy) Instead of solving problems or identifying opportunities for improvement, they ride the problematic wave as long as possible in order to extend their salaried tenure and job security. Unfortunately due to the fact, mostly no fault of their own mind you, that a majority of the solution includes eliminating their position in the company all together. This is the fault of upper management miss identifying the needs of the teams and entry level associates working on those teams. (hiring another layer of management allows the upper level to steer, finger point and excuse their own lack of success and productivity on the premise that they're waiting for lower management's response and reports. If / when they don't produce, the solution is to simply replace them with another recruit and then continue the cycle. Numerous "advisors" - very little "do-ers")

Process and Policy driven environment with complete disregard for common sense improvements, simple changes and employee driven solutions

- Computer applications in place to automate transactions and data communication that are grossly underutilized.
    Ex. Resort to manual solutions such as Excel spreadsheets and unnecessary redundant data entry tasks between departments.. significantly increasing response and communication delays.
    - Never ending circle of goose chasing, ghost pilots and finger pointing to irrelevant, micromanaged stats and data review, producing only a framework for failure with the base level associate being the scapegoat.
    Ex. Numerous busy work tasks with time restraints and deadlines that serve no purpose other than to draw lines in the sand for associates to unavoidably cross and create a history of failure.
    Ex. Setting up metrics and systems to identify challenges and root causes when all they have to do is ask.

Consistent filibustering by management

- Excuse building and opaque, vague responses to associate questioning of business practices
    Ex. When asked some of the tough(er) questions the canned response is "we'll take that off-line". (meaning, we'll put a pin in it so we can remember what to avoid at all costs)

Severe Tenure and Experience degradation throughout the company

- Failed internal promotion and excessive influx of external middle management with zero Temporary Housing experience, resulting in a giant leap backward in the ability to continue previous development and adding a huge learning curve. (of course no client or customer on the outside looking in would be able to realize this)
    Ex. #189 draft pick in the 25th round assigned to coach a team of seasoned team captains.. with no playbook.
    - False appreciation for lower level employee involvement in decision making.
    Ex. Suggestion box and monthly rah-rah (rubbing you raw-raw) sessions in order to create the impression that your ideas and suggestions matter. (Succeeds at improving morale and the feeling of impact in company development. Fails at actually accomplishing this.)

Overall Assessment:

Over a period of time the tenured associate falls to a state of learned helplessness and voluntarily leaves the company seeking better opportunity or a more fulfilling career path.. completing management's over all agenda and design of targeted, planned and selective attrition. Conveniently recycling the lowest level of salary applicable to said positions and refreshing them with new associates full of hope and the promise of opportunity. Fantastically designed and applied for years by the corporate world (not just Oakwood) in order to take advantage of the psychological endurance and deplete the emotional batteries of honest, hard working people all on the notion of career advancement.

It is not required for a company to progress or evolve at a certain pace or be held accountable to any past promises or standards, be it internal or external, as these standards are typically undefinable or measurable by anyone on the outside looking in. It is a game we cannot win, when the one's creating the rules are also appointing the judges, and paying them accordingly.

Unfortunately for the associates actively pursuing a career here, a review such as this one will have little to no beneficial impact or positive change to the work environment. As highly debatable and easily dismissed these reviews are by those responsible, simple disgruntlement is exactly what they'll point to. The only difference here is, while most of the time that would be plausible and often true, I'm not disgruntled at all.. as my goal is not to advance myself or develop a career in the company, so these issues do not apply to me. The website required I complete an analytic review in order to further my access to it's content so I complied based upon my observations and previous experience. Have a nice day.

Transparency, Transparency, Transparency. Establish accountability through true root cause analysis and detailed, relevant explanations as to why we do what we do.. all the way to to top. Prove that what we're told to do is what we must do and is the best course of action given the resources available and provide evidence as to why. This is proven by Transparency, Transparency, Transparency. And more Transparency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exceptional leadership invested in the development of their valued associates.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Oakwood continues to hire, develop, and retain extraordinary talent. They provide structure while allowing creativity, giving me plenty of opportunity to make a difference.

The people I work with are great. It's truly a team atmosphere - across the globe. There is continuous training and professional development offered as the company evolves to retain it's postion as the leader in the industry. The management team recognize and reward achievements of their associates.

Overall, a truly amazing experience and fantastic company to be a part of.

Cons

A person who prefers a stable, constant and predictable environment would be frustrated working for a company like Oakwood. The most successful and happy employees at Oakwood are those who thrive in an environment of continous improvement, with a drive for both personal and company success.

good company to work for! chances to grow as long as you are on top of your game.

Current Employee - Internet Account Cord  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Internet Account Cord in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

hours change every six months, based on score cards and not how long you have been here.

Cons

you have to take at least 50 calls a day in order to get anywhere.

Working for Oakwood

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time

Pros

The CEO is very personable. Most of the positions are Monday to Friday with nights and weekends off with exception of PEAK (Summer) season when Overtime is unlimited.

Cons

No training program. Leadership plays favorites. Hard workers expected to do more for less. No accountability with associates to perform.

Create a training program. Associates are too busy during peak season to train new associates properly. Finish the scorecard system and hold associates accountable for their own work. Reward internal candidates with comparable raises to what an external candidate can earn.

Great application of their Golden Rule, family-like atmosphere

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the employees on-site are friendly so there is a "family-like atmosphere". They offer a decent starting salary with room for improvement and promotion. Schedules can be rather flexible and Oakwood University continues to train and improve employees.

Cons

Process can get repetitive with the guest calls. It's not so bad if you can concentrate on simply wanting to help the guests but again there will be many similar calls (i.e. Wifi, TV, key bax, parking space).

Continue to innovate with the employees. More flexible schedule options would be ideal. Starting wages should be a little hire or at the very least account for minimum wage increases.

Great company i

Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy, Great Training, Great Leadership and the ability to travel is pretty great.

Cons

Seems like the industry is fading out. I also feel like if you don't get the right "mentor" going in "green" will make this a very hard job to be successful.

Your doing a great job.

Unstable

I have been working at Oakwood Worldwide

Pros

Have reduced its workforce by 40% in the last few years.

Cons

Lack of knowledge at the VP level.

Wish I never left.

Former Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oakwood Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and great opportunities to advance if you really want it.

Cons

Leadership is still learning in some areas of the company. The environment is clicky and a bit high schoolish.

I think they are doing a great job. Not everyone would agree but I understand the woes and pitfalls of learning new processes. Advice to unhappy employees would be to have patience and communicate effectively with your management. This job is not for everyone but it was perfect for me.

Worked for Oakwood Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!