Oatey

Oatey Reviews in Cleveland, OH

Updated Jun 11, 2014

John McMillan

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Given the opportunity to make a big difference.

Cleveland, OH

ProsGiven multiple opportunities to make things better. Still much more to improve. Chance to work closely with top management on regular basis.

ConsMany systems and processes need to be revamped. Some segments of business reluctant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake good care of your best and brightest.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a nice place to work

Northside (Current Employee)

ProsVery nice co-workers on the floor,nice pay,vacation.and 401k

ConsUnfairness ,favortism,never rewarded for doing a good job not even a thank u,don't want associates talking to each other,always trying to find a reason to terminate someone,especially the people who have been there along perid of time,employees are held accountable for their wrong doing, but not Senior leadership,and Senior leadership doesn't give its employees the respect they deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation towards the employees,stop the nick picking,shouldn't terminate people just cause you can,show respect,listen to the people who perform the job on a daily basis,the Oatey family needs to get back involved.

not worth it.

Northside Operator (Current Employee)

Pros401k, vac. pay, and employee's on the floor NOT management., hourly pay

Conswill fire you when on fmla, unfairness to the worker's, lack of training, if you do 1 thing wrong they will hold it against you for the life of your employment there.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the people on the floor, don't hold judgment, give credit where it dew. the Oatey's need to get back involved.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely satisfied working at Oatey...great people make the difference

Cleveland, OH

ProsI thoroughly enjoy the people I work with at Oatey. There's a mutual respect and sense of camaraderie among the us. The work is rewarding because the business invests to improve every year.

ConsHaving enough offices can become an issue when new associates arrive. Upper management is working on the problem though.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter coffee is always a good investment

Good a first, bad for the rest

Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsIn the 8 years I worked as a part time worker there, what little flexibility I had as a PT worker, looking back really wasn't worth the trouble. Things are a bit better now than before. You had 1/4 of the people walking around as managers of some sort. If you were one of the chosen ones, you could do nothing and slide by. Pays decent but I make 3x what I did there by just going to community college for a year.

ConsYou had people they didn't know what to do with, that they just created jobs for them. So then you had these people wandering around with nothing better to do than try to catch people talking to each other. This place was like a prison. I hated it there so bad that I finally just quit for a job that paid less. I had several 2nd jobs that I tried to switch to in order to get out of there and finally I found one that I took and quit this place. I went back 2 summers ago to catch up on money until I started my paid internship for where I work now, and it was significantly better. over 1/2 the people working there were no longer there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTelling your employees "you should feel lucky you have a job" or if you don't like it, then leave" is immature and bad for company morale. You want people to want to work for you don't you? Oh that's right, you only care about how you look and will throw anyone under the bus. Listen to your employees instead of hiring consulting groups to tell you what is wrong.

Terrible place to be, backwards.

Worst Work Experience of My Life (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsMajority of people are friendly. Comardary among people for how unreasonable decisions made by management.

ConsWorking here is like being on a reality tv show. People make alliances to keep their job. Managment is too busy in meetings scheming on how they'll take advantage of employees rather than noticing
    People who produce and care about company's well being. This job wasted prime Years of my career. I hope I'll be able to recover.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating people w/ respect. Remove honor God in all we do from
    Moto. There's nothing honorable about how you treat people.

A Safe Place for the Unmotivated to Lay Low...

Cleveland, OH

Pros-Great work/life balance
    -Great associates
    -Very unstressful/unchallenging (con or pro...you decide)
    Oatey is a good place to work if you have a family and can afford to raise them on what Oatey pays you. The workplace is without urgency or concern, and the work/life balance is satisfied as a result.

Cons-Ridiculous compensation, on the verge of insulting
    -Incredibly shrinking benefits year after year
    -Indefinite wage freeze
    Never expect to earn your way up or earn more income at Oatey. The company is intimately coupled with the housing market...as the market withers, so do the opportunties at Oatey. The hiring philosphy is to bring in talent from the outside only, most often at wages that far exceed internal talent for the exact same positions. This is not a company to come to if you are a motivated, energetic, and high-performing worker with management potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the political nonsense. This company may be family-owned, but it shouldn't ACT family-run. Get more mid-level managers, because there is a huge age gap between senior managment and the potential management pool. Unless, of course, the plan is to simply buy the management talent from the market at highly inflated prices...

Worked for Oatey? Contribute to the Community!

Oatey Videos

Oatey – Why Work for Us?

About Oatey Since 1916, Oatey has been manufacturing quality products for the plumbing industry.. • Oatey's market-leading products include: • Solvent cements for joining plastic pipe and fittings • Vent stack roof… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oatey reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oatey CEO John McMillan. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Oatey employees.