Oatey Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great! Great! Great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great company with a future. Many opportunities. Decent pay.

Cons

Many hours, not up front about that when you start. We are a 4 - 10 shift but constantly are working Friday / Saturday as well.

Advice to Management

Get a weekend shift to cover the extra scheduling or downtime don't force it to your current employees then demand they show up.

2. Great place to make a difference, committed to employees & the community

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Oatey full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Comprehensive interview process which allows both the company & candidate to ensure a good fit. * Sincere commitment to philanthropic causes. Employees and managers are not only supported to make a difference in the community, they’re encouraged. * Friendly culture that expects & values performance without being abrasive. * Extremely competitive benefits program which goes above and beyond most employers. * A very stable, 100 yr old company that’s big enough to offer professional challenges without being too big for an individual to make a difference. * Company appreciates the importance of systems and makes investments in this area to improve the business.

Cons

I read the Glassdoor reviews both before accepting with Oatey and about 6 months after. I can understand that some employees may not have had a good experience for various reasons and this is going to the case at any company, but frankly I’m surprised by a couple of the negative, reviews. My role requires me to regularly work with employees in different functions and fortunately I have yet to see any major, systemic cultural issues. I’ve worked in large multinationals and small private companies and find Oatey a great place to continue my career and make a difference both within the company and community. Oatey has won the North Coast 99 Best Places to work in NE Ohio 6 times, including this year, so apparently I’m not the only one with that opinion! * Some facilities in Cleveland need a makeover and more room. The brand new HQ planned for 2016 should be a big help here. * Some internal processes need work to improve consistency in the operation. Continue to focus on Lean initiatives.

Advice to Management

* Continue to leverage the strong Oatey brand while increasing development and delivery of new products to the market.

3. Cesspool of Bad Managment!

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Local company. Profit sharing, although like always it subject to the performance of the company.

Cons

A cess-pool of bad management! This company looks very warm and inviting on the surface, but once your employed by Oatey, you quickly realize what a viper pit you’ve been dropped into. The executive and middle management in this company have created a very passive aggressive culture resulting in unbelievable turnover. The leadership is so hungry for new business that they will buy any fairy tale their lieutenants feed them in order to get promoted. Meanwhile, yearly forecasts fall short due to this repeated behavior, but the leadership keeps adding more incompetent management to make up for the existing teams shortcomings. As an engineer, you will be required to solve the companies problems by developing products on your own with little to no help from your manager, and will find yourself frustrated to the point of looking for a new job/employer. All Intellectual property will be swiftly and quietly claimed by other management members who are trying to build their lack-luster portfolios for future raises and positions. It's really no surprise that this company has major cultural problems, which the executive team seems to ignore. If you are considering an engineering job here, do yourself a huge favor and seek past employees for deep insight to what really goes on. Unless you are incredibly desperate for employment, you will find yourself running for the hills! I wish I had taken the time to do this, as the stint I did here is something I would really like to erase from my career. And I consider my self a pretty successful person in my career. I luckily found a better job, however, I would have taken a cut in pay to leave if I had to. It’s that bad!

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside efficiency firm to evaluate your management members, both from an efficiency standpoint, but also from a psychotherapy standpoint.. I think, you will be very surprised at the outcome. Keep in mind, the culture will never change but in fact get worse with what came from Omaha

5. AR SPecialist

Pros

Steady, nothing unexpected. Great if you like calm atmosphere.

Cons

Steady, nothing unexpected. Mid size company. Almost no communication between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate more..supervisors are great. But it seems company doesn't have a good grasp of AR

6. Oatey

Former Employee - Production Worker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Cleveland, OH

Pros

2nd shift has a good supervisor and zone leaders.

Cons

1st shift- Favoritism, Zone lead aren't held accountable, Seniority rules, Temps have no say so. Assembly cells expectations outrageous, Seems not to care about employees if u have no personal relationship with management, Lack of training, Everyone tells u different things fir the same job.

Advice to Management

Everyone no matter position should be held accountable for there actions. Every shift should have the same rules because its confusing.

Bottom Of The Barrel Employer!, Despite your education or career level

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Oatey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck for an undetermined amount of time

Cons

I truly though I had seen it all when it comes to bad management until I joined Oatey. I was with Oatey just over a year as an engineer and after the first six months was quickly looking for an exit strategy. This place has unbelievably bad management on all levels. Since the product lines are not that technical in nature, they place some of the worst minded individuals in management that really fail to have any technical knowledge whatsoever. The company is family owned/privately held and ran. The ownership is easily manipulated by thier vice president structure who acts like hyenas picking at a dead carcass. It boils down to a popularity contest as to who succeeds and who don’t. If you’re able to spin doctor your way out of bad situations, you will go far here. The turnover in this company is astounding and just within my short time I’ve witnessed dozens leaving due to frustration. When asked about the astounding turnover, Human resources responds, “some turnover is normal, and the others we would have gotten rid of anyway”. When I left Oatey I provided a host of reasons as to why I was leaving and to my knowledge, no changes were ever made. ​When I joined Oatey, the ownership indicated that they were having trouble getting new innovative products to market in order to thwart the constant give backs to the big box stores. They had suffered a loss of business in the economic downturn and didn’t have any new products in the pipeline to aid recover. Little did I know that a huge part of the reason was that they cannot manage to keep any talented engineers long enough to develop these products due to the incompetence they put in charge of this group. They have gone through so many talented engineers but insist on keeping their lacking management members which is the reason people leave. The bottom line is, due to the management structure, working at this company is not a good career move for someone of any talent. It is truly a “bottom of the barrel” place to work for those who like to create and prosper. My advice: There is better, Keep Looking!

Advice to Management

I find it astounding that this company makes money with the incompetent management staff in various groups, What's even more astounding is how much revenue is lost due to this....

8. order picker

Former Employee - Order Picker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Oatey (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to work and love the work given.

Cons

none everything about the job was cool very clean and safe place to work.

Advice to Management

great people.

9. Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Very nice environment and great co-workers

Cons

Nothing to say negative or cons to the company

So much potential...

I worked at Oatey (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people with a will to win.

Cons

Almost no investment in the people, the facilities or the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to the smart people that work for you.

Micro managed

Current Employee - Line Worker in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Line Worker in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oatey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is satisfactory. It's not great. The other floor workers are great.

Cons

11+ hours a day. People in charge make unattainable rules and expectations. Not the safest environment. Hardly any raises. God forbid a line worker has one minute of down time to take a minute outside of breaktime.....cuz if u do they will have a overpaid under trained engineer watch over them for a day so he can tell u how to use that extra minute. Extreme favoritism. ......

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing ur staff and let us show u how well trained and competent we are.

RSS Feed </> Embed