Ocado

Updated July 27, 2014

3.4

Ocado CEO Tim Steiner
Tim Steiner

Truly amazing how we get customers shopping in one place all at the same time.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

The way we change to become even better the work ethic of most of our staff is really refreshing, the constant growth that we see, i tell my friends this is the supermarket of the future.

Cons

I believe we need to invest more time in training to allow us to ensure our new staff understand the importance of giving our customers the great customer experience they deserve. We should introduce buddies in the warehouse giving extra coaching to new employees.

I believe that we are now seeing some good training courses for our Team Managers and it is positive to see them getting the resource to do this, as this will benefit them in the long run.

Dreadful Regional Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member  in  Oxford, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Oxford, OH

Pros

If your half smart the work is easy and colleagues are nice. Head office staff get better benefits.

Cons

Petty and childish management of staff, no sense of team and very high turnover of staff. Regional staff don't receive same benefits as HQ

Treat staff as adults, human beings, listen to staff suggestions and pay the staff better than minimum wage

Below average, good to get online experience, but not focussed on people and not great for career opportunities

Pros

On-line experience, leading edge technology for the distribution centre, lots of operational responsibility for high performers

Cons

Hit glass ceiling very quickly, lack of shared information about the direction of the company, lack of positive, collaborative, culture

Improve culture and focus on developing people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow, poor salaries

Current Employee - Buying Manager  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Room to develop. Room to share and implement ideas. Fast paced

Cons

graduates take most of the jobs. The pay reviews are unclear. The salaries are below the market. You have go above and beyond to prove yourself before considering you for pay increase. Need to work harder to retain staff as large staff turnaround

Bonus incentives

Best company i have worked for

Current Employee - CSTM  in  Dordon (Chad)
    Current Employee - CSTM in Dordon (Chad)

Pros

Everything is different from day to day you could be in the centre of Birmingham delivering next day in the Malvern Hills looking out towards Cheltenham I sometimes forget that i am being paid to do this job LOVE IT

Cons

Most of the challenges are being stuck in traffic getting to the customer on time keeping calm under pressure and most of all dealing with difficult customers.

My advice to Management is that when you have known a driver for 3 or more years you know what sort of person he or she is so when you get a negative feedback of a customer you should think my driver is not like that this customer is just after a voucher or a bottle of champagne so instead of putting a file report against the drivers name throw the report in the bin

Interesting

Current Employee - Operations Graduate  in  Dordon (Chad)
    Current Employee - Operations Graduate in Dordon (Chad)

Pros

Growing company, Fantastic company with highly intelligent managers

Cons

Small market, disregarded specialization when allocating roles

Good place to start as a developer, but too disorganised and little interested on quality of code to stay for long

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Nice, informal and young atmosphere. Very good place to start as a developer

Cons

Disorganised, especially at the management level. Lots of technical dept and unmaintenable legacy code. System components are tightly coupled, which makes investigating and solving production issues a real challenge. Unit and integration testing are not enforced at the management level as well as code reviews, which makes the whole infrastructure very fragile. Also this is a real problem for teams that have to provide 24/7 support.

They tend to not hire experienced people from other companies, but to let people already in the company grow, which means that there is little external contribution.

Salaries are slightly lower than the London average

Friendly but boring

Former Employee - Software Developer in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Friendly people, management reasonably nice

Cons

Boring repetitive development work. Strange policies.

Great Friendly Company. Work Colleagues friendly and helpful with new staff. Company has many benefits.

Current Employee - CSTM  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSTM in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Left to do the work - You are your own boss to a degree. the company has many benefits - 15% discount on shopping, pensions, share schemes. Good training program. Good job opportunities

Cons

More shopping weight than it used to be. Hard work but satisfying when you have finished. slightly unsocial hours as early start as 6am and late a finish as midnight.

Listen to your work force. Happy workforce means happy customers

I feel Good every morning when I walk into Work, and proud of all achievements Ocado has made so far in Its Journey...

Current Employee - Commissioning Manager  in  Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commissioning Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Pros

Ocado definitely is one of its kind, I am working in a place which completely changed and re-defined a new standard for Online grocery shopping, we may be a small firm compared to few other retail competitor's but we have taught them how it is done, which makes me so proud to be part of Ocado. I am hoping what the world has seen so far is just a beginning... we have a potential to achieve lot more and Explore in every area we are currently in. Thank you for providing me such a great opportunity to work for Ocado.

Cons

We do stubble and always step on top and stand tall, so we do have some cons - best thing I can pick is - we as Ocado are currently involved in so many projects - And I feel Dev team is slightly under pressure, but by saying that it good to mention management is trying its best to keep work environment lively and friendly with social activities, with some activities providing a chance to learn new things make is even better.

I believe management is doing great job and i hope they carry on to do so... All I can say keep up the good work :)

Worked for Ocado? Contribute to the Community!