Ocado

Updated December 8, 2014
3.1

Ocado CEO Tim Steiner
Tim Steiner

Pros
  • Many good staff, mostly a friendly atmosphere, chances to learn new skills and gain experience (in 3 reviews)

• work environment, working hours, friendly upper management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life ballance does not existe, as a delivery driver you have to work, mornings, late mornings, afternoons, late afternoons all in one week (in 3 reviews)

• ocado do not work hard enough to retain staff, particularly though annual pay rises (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging,enjoyable,good banter
    Rapid rise through the ranks

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love what we do.less than 3 years and there is no stopping me

Cons

Pay,it's always the pay,but I'm happy enough

Let's have a group cuddle

Below average, good to get online experience, but not focussed on people and not great for career opportunities

I worked at Ocado

Pros

On-line experience, leading edge technology for the distribution centre, lots of operational responsibility for high performers

Cons

Hit glass ceiling very quickly, lack of shared information about the direction of the company, lack of positive, collaborative, culture

Improve culture and focus on developing people

Great place to work in software

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in the technology department was great - the atmosphere very friendly and relaxed. The hours were flexible and I always felt like I was trusted to get on with the job without being over-managed, and was trusted with important projects. The development environment was always fairly forward-looking, using good practices and new technologies etc and allowing teams some initiative in what to use. Colleagues were great and easy to get on with, with lots of different backgrounds. Good benefits and decent starting salary and overtime/on-call payments.

Cons

The position was advertised as a graduate scheme but training was a bit of a token gesture - although I'm fairly sure this is the same as most other places. I also always got the feeling that head office and more senior warehouse staff had it much better in terms of working environment and treatment than pickers on the warehouse floor, who were seen as fairly disposable. I can't comment on conditions for drivers or regional centre staff.

Don't slack off just because you're now making a profit.

Pay ok and good benefits, poorly managed

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Ocado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay's pretty good for the work, if you're in a non warehouse role. If you're a driver or a picker expect to be treated like dirt (I'm neither but I've seen first hand).

Benefits are very good, decent medical insurance and 15% off orders with the company, plus other stuff.

Generally people at the bottom are nice, although the turnover of such staff is pretty high.

Cons

Management is pretty arrogant and unhelpful. This gets worse as you go up the ladder to the point that Directors seem to think there job is primarily to swear and shout about how awful the work of their underlings is.

Utter lack of training, expected to work seriously hard and do things that aren't your job on a regular basis. Manager not at all amenable to these considerations. Expect to have to fight very hard to get a decent work-life balance.

To Senior Management: Have a serious reality check and dispense with the ego. Ocado having done well doesn't mean you are god's gift to businesses.

Have a serious think about staff turnover and why this is, seriously need to offer more training and structure to roles rather than just an attitude of "this needs doing, you do it (and I don't want you to ask for any help whatsoever)".

Not as bad as some of the other reviews may have you believe.

Current Employee - CSTM in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSTM in Tamworth, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly rate isn't amazing but pretty much in line with similar delivery jobs. It is definitely more than Asda (I was a Section Leader there and it still didn't pay as much) but I can't comment on other supermarkets. On a week of earlies, I get between £290 and £300 a week and on lates it's £310 to £320. You get paid for 40 hours a week, even if you luckily finish a route early so you roughly know what your going to be paid every week. You also get a small contribution to clean your uniform and there's also the meal allowance. I like that drivers get paid weekly so I always know I have money in my account. Your hourly rate increases every year for the first 4 years continuous service. There are also quarterly bonuses, each a maximum of £360 each. It's pretty easy to attain, don't be late, try not to be ill, show good customer service and don't damage the vans.

I quite like the working environment. I clock in, print my route notes and receipts off and get myself prepared to leave. Some days I may not have a route, in which case there may be redeliveries to do, or you sit around as a spare driver for any emergencies that may arise. More often than not the managers will let you leave early. I get along with the management team. Some other reviewers don't. I find that if you come in, do your job to a good standard and keep your nose clean then they generally leave you to it. Most of them are approachable if you need help. Uniform is ok. I get through a lot of trousers. I tend to split them from bending and crouching. Safety boots are comfy and durable if you treat them well. They issue you a bag, torch (I got my own as the one they supply is massive) clipboard etc.

Out on route you're your own boss essentially. You do have your drops to deliver within their slots and usually this is the case. Sometimes there are issues that are out of your control, such as the warehouse being behind on picking or heavy traffic, but if you keep the customer informed they tend not to be too arsey at the door. Our depot covers the Midlands, so I have been to some really nice places and seen some massive houses. I've also been to some less desirable places. You have to take the rough with the smooth!

Cons

The rota: they don't like people doing just earlies or just lates. It's a mix bag. One week you could be starting at six, the next finishing at midnight. The saving grace for Resource Planning is that they are pretty good if you need holiday at short notice. It may be a case of if you're flexible with them then they're flexible with you. I quite like the text message system they use, offering short term holiday, different start times or the chance to work at a different depot for a little bit of overtime.

Sometimes the routes can be very challenging and physical. Flats without lifts with cat litter and water is never fun.

Development: not as easy as they may make out. As a CSTM (driver) it's difficult to make an impression to the higher management as most of your work is out on the road. I also feel a "if your face fits" attitude is prevalent. I have previous experience in a home shopping environment prior to Ocado but I was turned down for a development role because they wanted me to have more experience. So don't assume because you have done the job elsewhere then you will climb the ladder quicker. You won't, unfortunately.

More development opportunities, don't rule out people with experience just because they came from the competition. They moved over because they want to better you and themselves

Challenge everyday in Ocado

Current Employee - Inventory Support Team Member in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great idea about groceries, very innovative and absolutely new processes there, every day is battle for the best customer service. I like how great we have a range of product here, more than others "classic" supermarkets and be proud to be part of this company more than 7 years.

Cons

You have to be strong, be able to work under pressure and if you working in the Customer Fulfillment Centre you have to be in very good physical condition. Customer is God for us.

Be more respectable about people who work for you a long time period. We're not only numbers.

MANAGERS ARE APPALLING!!

Current Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

if you are working earlies and you have a nice rural route and the sun is shining, then the job can be surprisingly good. You get to visit some nice places you would otherwise never visit. You sometimes finish early which is a bonus as you can go home whilst always getting 8 hours pay. Unfortunately this is somewhat of a rarity and where the pro's end!

Cons

Ocado have a policy where they hire managers internally and are from non managerial backgrounds. They are then moulded into nasty little robots that act like police implementing ocado's very oppressive rules and pedantic procedures whilst promoting a very unhealthy working environment. Instead of being a support network for drivers they are always looking to lay blame and accuse drivers usually to cover up their own shortcomings as managers and thus create a "them against us" environment. In summary they posses absolutely no people skills and provide no help for drivers in difficult situations, however they are very efficient at disciplining you!

You are spied upon via a camera in the cab and instead of being a safety feature this is abused by managers and used to build a case against you. If you so much as pick your nose you will have a disciplinary hearing!

Uniform is awful, equipment frequently brakes down, Ocado will charge you £80 if you damage any equipment whilst you are working, if you are sent down a narrow lane and a tree branch leaves a mark on the van you will have a disciplinary and it will cost you £45, you often don't have time to take your lunch brakes and can work all day without stopping. the rotas are inconsistent and provide no balance for home life, very poor wages (take home £260 per week),

I would only advise people to work here if you are absolutely desperate for work

The managers at the spoke level are unacceptably poor. The culture they promote can only be harmful to Ocado as a business as they breed a horrible atmosphere among staff. I was shocked at how incompetent the managers were when I first started, they literally don't have the capacity to help you at any level unless you fall into a category where they can blame you for something. If I have any work related query I am forced to phone the call centre as this is my only source of information.

If senior management visited spokes from time to time and witness the way in which these managers are running the business, I'm sure they would realise how damaging this is to Ocado as an entity. Every driver I speak to say the same, they are all looking to leave, this can all be seen by customers as the drivers are the backbone and the face of the business.

Made me feel like I was a member of their family.

Former Employee - Training Team Leader Buddy in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Training Team Leader Buddy in Tamworth, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers are a delight to get along with, I was promoted to a trainee team leader just by asking,

Cons

handling 40+ people at once.

Language barriers, makes the job alot more difficult when the staff have no idea what you're talking to them about.

Oxford Spoke - CSTM Delivery Driver

Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss once you are out on route. No real stress experienced except by those who are educationally subnormal and frankly couldn't do any other job. Overtime available and occasional few hundred pounds bonus but that's about it. Oh you get a dodgy uniform to wear. Most of the drivers are a mixed but friendly bunch

Cons

'Oxford Spoke' - Stanford in the Vale: Heaven help you if you have any problems. Management talk about help and support but all they are focussed on is apportioning blame any which way on the delivery driver. The slightest very minor error or heaven help an accident and they will fire you irrespective of length of service. They demand your loyalty but they give nothing in return for you busting a gut for the benefit of the customers (who incidentally love Ocado). The customers have zero idea of what goes on behind the scenes and the unreasonable negative politics that drive the management team in Oxford. If you are genuinely sick there's no pay for first 3 days (your on dreadful wages anyway) so your screwed, they also adopt the rule they your skiving and lying as their first position upon a back to work interview. Management dish out verbal and written warnings at breathtaking speed to anyone who remotely steps out of line. Salary approx £250 per week take home so nowhere near enough to live on

The delivery driver is 'the customer face of Ocado' Demonstrate that you value that person as individuals - they are not all stupid and occasionally things go wrong so cut them some slack. The drivers go out of their way to deliver an amazing experience for the customer but get tired of being hammered for errors that originate elsewhere in the system but they get the blame

Truly amazing how we get customers shopping in one place all at the same time.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The way we change to become even better the work ethic of most of our staff is really refreshing, the constant growth that we see, i tell my friends this is the supermarket of the future.

Cons

I believe we need to invest more time in training to allow us to ensure our new staff understand the importance of giving our customers the great customer experience they deserve. We should introduce buddies in the warehouse giving extra coaching to new employees.

I believe that we are now seeing some good training courses for our Team Managers and it is positive to see them getting the resource to do this, as this will benefit them in the long run.