Ocado Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Ocado CEO Tim Steiner
Tim Steiner

Pros
  • Many good staff, mostly a friendly atmosphere, chances to learn new skills and gain experience (in 3 reviews)

• Great work life balance and people are very helpful (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • As a cstm (delivery driver) you are treated like dirt, both by the customers AND the managers (in 3 reviews)

• ocado do not work hard enough to retain staff, particularly though annual pay rises (in 2 reviews)

Below average, good to get online experience, but not focussed on people and not great for career opportunities

I worked at Ocado

Pros

On-line experience, leading edge technology for the distribution centre, lots of operational responsibility for high performers

Cons

Hit glass ceiling very quickly, lack of shared information about the direction of the company, lack of positive, collaborative, culture

Advice to Management

Improve culture and focus on developing people

2. Good company for graduates

Current Employee - Software Developer SE2 in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time

Pros

Use latest technology stack, good atmosphere, relax environment

Cons

No bonus, location, many in-experience developers

Good employer

I have been working at Ocado full-time

Pros

Good training and some career opportunities, customers are usually very nice, discount on shopping is good, get shares in company every year

Cons

Shift work difficult to work around family life, have to be fit to deliver shopping which is sometimes quite heavy

5. Love it!

I have been working at Ocado full-time

Pros

Exciting growing business
    Lots of career and development opportunities
    Friendly, flexible culture

Cons

Have to walk to local shops for good food offering

6. CSTM

I worked at Ocado full-time

Pros

None at all,find anything else

Cons

I called it Stepford management for a good reason,faceless robots who blame you,the CSTM for everything,and when you do the job right but they dont like you,fit you up with false emails that complain so they can sack you. Total and utter bad employers,avoid with a passion

Advice to Management

We are Stepfords,get personalities

CSTM Delivery Driver

Current Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training is good, first 4-6 weeks of training routes (less drops more time) gives you enough time to learn the job.

Cons

Don't expect to have a normal life outside of work. Your training route drops go from 14 a day, to 24-32 drops a day. Completely impossible and unrealistic delivery routes / times.. ie it will give you 25 minutes to get from kingston to croydon in rush hour...
    The stress level is atleast a 9/10 when you are running late... when you struggle to make up time due to a late arctic lorry.
    Vans are useless, gearboxes terrible, tyres are never to the legal limit and queuing up at the end of your shift to get the van in can take upwards of 30 minutes.. After a stressful day they make you wait to go home..
    Almost every delivery has water in it, atleast 5-10 flats a day with no lift, almost 950kg of items in the van so if you have back problems or a serious heart condition, dont bother. If you don't have those, you will have them after 4 months working there.
    The sat nav is beyond useless, navigates 1 delivery at the best of times.
    The torch they give you is so big you could see cargo ships in to a port, or land planes with it.
    Uniform is uncomfortable and doesn't fit.
    My advice to anyone joining, do it for 2-3 months, earn some money, take as much holiday as you possibly can and get a new job. Not worth the unsociable hours and hard work even if they payed £30k a year.. by far the WORST company i have ever worked for, who do not care about the staff, horrific working coniditions or your personal life... but they are quite happy to employ new people.
    Enjoy.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff on the same level you want to be treated on.
    Allow people to swap their shifts to suit their lifestyle.
    Allow more time for each delivery.
    Allow more time for each route given.
    Let people work the areas they like to work, ie richmond.

8. Great Experience

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado

Pros

A great company to work for. I also had very nice colleagues too. You have the opportunity to choose the most suitable shift for you but you must stick to it.

Cons

You don't get to book your own holiday at your preferred dates. You will always be offered when to go on holiday, though you have the right to refuse it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employee's complaint more often and do take necessary action to rectify issues arising between the team leaders and team members.

9. Okay for a job between jobs

I worked at Ocado full-time

Pros

Not the most stressful of jobs, vans are all auto so are easy to drive and they're pre-loaded. Money is relatively good for that kind of work and a hell of a lot more than the dole!

Cons

As somebody who enjoys my footballer and nights out, working most weekends was a killer.

Advice to Management

More support of drivers; things go wrong or a customer complains and it's always the drivers' fault.

Awful truly hideous employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time

Pros

zero pros, they offer nothing you cannot find elsewhere, company is taking advantage of the UKs low pay economy, uncaring faceless employer, blame culture is high in this flawed business model

Cons

what i witnessed in my 4 months before i walked out was truly horrific in a modern day workplace, but here is how it is, the CSTM role is without any doubt the most stressed out position i have ever come across, Ocado do not acknowledge the twice daily occurrence know as ( rush hour ) because its proud boast that technology is the way forward, means that a computer selects the drivers route, postcode to postcode with no traffic between you and them, the perfect ocado world, truth is a lot different, the result of this is you get the sorry sight of drivers turning up way before their actual payed time begins, so stressed out that they need to get out early on their route in order to complete it on time, Ocado will gladly let this happen and they play on it by over burdening the routes, 20 + drops pr shift are the norm, and dont think you will be visiting suburbia very often, its mainly high rise apartments in the city, student accommodation, often late at night when the delivery charge is less, you can be close to doing 800 miles each week, the driving is intense and you will not have any local knowledge of most areas you visit, the expectancy on the CSTM role is high with every problem passed on to you, lateness, wrong goods, broken goods, unhappy customers, unhappy neighbours because you have parked and caused an obstruction, parking a 3.5 ton van is a nightmare, customers do not care if you cannot park or have to visit their high rise 3 times to carry up their 30 carrier bags, like I say Ocado/ Morrisons will sell anything to anyone as long as they have a postcode, regardless of how difficult it is for you as a driver to deliver, think to yourself can you do this job day after day, night after night, I received more abuse from the public in 4 months doing this job than any other role in my life, you are seen as a inconvenience by other road users, and expect road rage on a daily basis, all this and you have yet to return to the depot when the van you have been driving is scrutinized by a team of Marshalls, looking for any damage not previously recorded, and they have to blame you or they themselves are blamed and money is lost, it creates animosity amongst the workforce, as you can see morale is low amongst the CSTMs, To sum up this role, In my opinion you have to be desperate to sign your contract but more desperate if you need to stay with them, young and old drivers all said the same thing to me, its a headache you dont need, hence the 50% staff turnover in each 6 month spell, you are given a 13 week roster so you can plan ahead, but the truth is the roster is nothing but fiction, as you are harassed daily by the employer to swop shifts, swop your rest day, swop start times and even swop depots, this happens even on you day off. you literally cannot get away from the stress, drivers have been rang up as late as 11.00 pm and sleep interrupted. the harassment from the employer is never ending

Advice to Management

cannot believe you rate yourselves so highly as an employer

11. Appalling

Current Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Out on the open road all day away from a stressful environment.

Cons

Horrible management. Jumped up graduates who follow a script like procedure on a daily basis.

I had an accident in the yard where another colleague rear ended me at approximately 25-30mph resulting in me suffering whiplash and being off work for nearly a month. They did not offer first aid treatment and made me sit through an insurance related meeting for an hour whilst clutching my neck in pain. They did NOT pay me full pay even as the accident was of another driver's fault who admitted liability. When returning to work they then piled on the work without hesitation as if they wanted to push me to resignation. Instead a lawsuit is underway.

You're on your own if you're found in a precarious situation. Be wary.

Also hours are stupid. Promising you mixed evenings and mornings.. when instead they will give you evenings to mornings 3/1.

Advice to Management

Train your management to deal with abnormal procedures as I found myself being treated like scum.

RSS Feed </> Embed