Ocado Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Ocado CEO Tim Steiner
Tim Steiner

Made me feel like I was a member of their family.

Former Employee - Training Team Leader Buddy  in  Tamworth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Training Team Leader Buddy in Tamworth, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers are a delight to get along with, I was promoted to a trainee team leader just by asking,

Cons

handling 40+ people at once.

Language barriers, makes the job alot more difficult when the staff have no idea what you're talking to them about.

Below average, good to get online experience, but not focussed on people and not great for career opportunities

I worked at Ocado

Pros

On-line experience, leading edge technology for the distribution centre, lots of operational responsibility for high performers

Cons

Hit glass ceiling very quickly, lack of shared information about the direction of the company, lack of positive, collaborative, culture

Improve culture and focus on developing people

Oxford Spoke - CSTM Delivery Driver

Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSTM Delivery Driver in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are your own boss once you are out on route. No real stress experienced except by those who are educationally subnormal and frankly couldn't do any other job. Overtime available and occasional few hundred pounds bonus but that's about it. Oh you get a dodgy uniform to wear. Most of the drivers are a mixed but friendly bunch

Cons

'Oxford Spoke' - Stanford in the Vale: Heaven help you if you have any problems. Management talk about help and support but all they are focussed on is apportioning blame any which way on the delivery driver. The slightest very minor error or heaven help an accident and they will fire you irrespective of length of service. They demand your loyalty but they give nothing in return for you busting a gut for the benefit of the customers (who incidentally love Ocado). The customers have zero idea of what goes on behind the scenes and the unreasonable negative politics that drive the management team in Oxford. If you are genuinely sick there's no pay for first 3 days (your on dreadful wages anyway) so your screwed, they also adopt the rule they your skiving and lying as their first position upon a back to work interview. Management dish out verbal and written warnings at breathtaking speed to anyone who remotely steps out of line. Salary approx £250 per week take home so nowhere near enough to live on

The delivery driver is 'the customer face of Ocado' Demonstrate that you value that person as individuals - they are not all stupid and occasionally things go wrong so cut them some slack. The drivers go out of their way to deliver an amazing experience for the customer but get tired of being hammered for errors that originate elsewhere in the system but they get the blame

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Does not value staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many good staff, mostly a friendly atmosphere, chances to learn new skills and gain experience. There is some flexibility in working hours, and there are some opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Very little value is placed on experience gained outside the company, most senior posts seem to be held by people who were hired at the very start, very few managers from outside who have experience of other companies.
    The office has a call-center/sweatshop vibe and promised improvements are always 'next year'.

Learn to discuss with staff and listen to what they say.

What a shame

I worked at Ocado

Pros

On par with being on J S A

Cons

I started working for ocado with the hope of being part of an up and coming company. Soon after starting it was clear the management were tight nit and there was no chance of getting into that click so I just got my head down with the thought in mind "what will be will be".Around 6/7 weeks after starting and going on solo routes I was sent out in one of there many shoddy vans yet again,I left the m5 motor way,as I slowed down on the slip road there was a loud bang and the breaks were vague to say the least ,the delivery address was less that a 3rd of a mile away so I carried on as I was the on a major A road .when I pulled outside the delivery address there was a load clonk and bang under the van,I got out to see what was going on and I found the break pad on the floor which had gone past the wear limiter and was just a piece of gauged steel,the other one was missing so Id say that explains the issue leaving the motor way.( I have a timed,dated photo of this with my location on it if anyone would like to challenge this) I called back to Base to explain what had happened and I was told to carry on and complete a further 3 drops. After I'd completed them I would be met by someone with another van. After this had happened I had not so much as an apology,it was all kept hush hush..before this I was sent out in numerous vehicles that were either defective or basically death traps,you report it and the Marshalls in the yard don't wana leave there porter cabin for anything other than there break. Everytime I came back with these vehicles I would follow the correct procedure,ie,report to Marshalls and and fill in defect sheets ect..by the time I would get up the mile of steps into the building the van I had just reported for being a death trap would be back on a loading bay!!after the break pads falling out I was treated like dirt by the so called cstm management. After a couple of months I left and have never looked back!! You are over worked for minimal pay,promised the world as a new starter and its all rubbish, they will use anything they want against you and I sincerely hope I bump into a couple of people from that company one day!! All of this happened at the dordon branch,I'm not going to name any names with regards to management but you know who you are. If you are thinking of taking a job with ocado, watch your back and good luck,you will need it

Rather than having camera's in your vans,try using them in the cstm management office! Do it discretely and you would be in for a nasty shock. Your management team will end up costing you a great deal one day if things aren't sorted

Truly amazing how we get customers shopping in one place all at the same time.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The way we change to become even better the work ethic of most of our staff is really refreshing, the constant growth that we see, i tell my friends this is the supermarket of the future.

Cons

I believe we need to invest more time in training to allow us to ensure our new staff understand the importance of giving our customers the great customer experience they deserve. We should introduce buddies in the warehouse giving extra coaching to new employees.

I believe that we are now seeing some good training courses for our Team Managers and it is positive to see them getting the resource to do this, as this will benefit them in the long run.

Simple job, but physically demanding, low paid and with a non supportive management team.

Current Employee - CSTM  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSTM in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On occasion you will get a short route with an easy drive and not many drops.

You get to go home when you finish your route and still get paid for the remaining time of your shift.

There are some incentives such as a quarterly bonus equivilant of around a maximum of £300, you get a pretty decent private health care package and various share options.

Cons

The pay is pretty low; they compare to other supermarket driving jobs and go by that i.e. £7-£8.

Expect to be late out on route at least twenty percent of the time due to poorly organised logistics getting the shopping delivered to site and the vans loaded.

It is a very low entry to become an Ocado driver so they have no problem finding new drivers and as such you tend to get treated like dirt and the turnover is extremely high. Three scratches, bumps or scrapes in a year will result in disciplinary action as will negative feedback, sickness, lateness etc. This seems ok at first, but you will be driving up to 40000 miles in a year and it is quite a physically punishing job.

The shift patterns are horrendous. There is no fixed rota and you could be working from 5:30am to 1:30pm one day and the next be working 4:00pm to midnight. If shifting from afternoon shifts to morning shifts they give you a day off in between, but it's not nearly enough.

The management team has to be one of the worst things about this job. They don't seem to do anything other than dole out disciplinaries and acting as occasional receptionists. I have gone to work and seen them watching a football match behind the desk when the marshals are struggling to load the vans on time and they could go and help. There is very little support when out on the road. Expect to be greeted with a blank uncomprehending look when explaining issues to their faces. If you need to find one, you will probably find them taking one of their endless cigarette breaks and although there are a few exceptions among the management team this is very much led by example from the top down. An atmosphere of distrust exists, with the management team constantly swapping drivers' routes so that certain drivers always get the longest heaviest runs despite assurances that routes are allocated on an entirely fair and random basis.

Double standards of health and safety are pervasive. Vans are not properly maintained and a lot of very dangerous faults get brushed under the carpet; for well over a year we were sent out in vans which would suddenly undergo an engine management issue causing the vans to lose around half of their power, this would cause them to suddenly brake by up to 30mph or cause you to accelerate extremely slowly out of a junction. When you would highlight this problem and explain that when pulling out of a junction or overtaking on a motorway could be dangerous they would respond by shrugging their shoulders and asking what you expected them to do about it. Granted this problem has been rectified since our former fleet manager got promoted (!) but all of the management team were aware of it and did nothing about it. The current fleet at Bristol are approaching 300000 miles on the clock and a lot of them are not fit for purpose. Ocado delivers to areas that are deemed too dangerous by the other supermarkets and takes pride in this fact and punishes the drivers if they scrape the vinyl on a twig sticking out of a hedge on a road barely wide enough for the van. Drivers are lectured endlessly on correct manual handling procedures while at the same time not being given the amount of time required to put them into practice, this results in a lot of injuries and not a lot of sympathy.

Far more monitoring of spoke management needs to be undertaken if you want to retain good CSTMs. More time needs to be given per drop to avoid injury and prevent CSTMs needing to take time off work.

You're always in the wrong, even when you're not!

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Member

I worked at Ocado full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only good thing about this company was the frequency of pay and pay range.

Cons

Well this company definitely cares more about their reputation than their employees. If you're wondering why well lets just say an incident occurs on the road, not your fault and no visible damage caused, this company will find a way with their "Big brother cameras" that they keep recording you constantly, to turn it around and make it look like it's your fault. They will happily pay compensation to anyone who puts in a slight complaint about them and will happily fire an employee to keep their reputation up.

temp working at acados

Former Employee - Picking Operative  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Picking Operative in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Ocado as an intern for less than a year

Pros

canteen very nice and cheap.

Cons

i was working as an agency employee.Put on the picking line with next to no training.the trainer didnt speak good english.I was then told that if i didnt reach the 80% picking rate it would be goodbye after only one day.

more training fo new employees

Great place to grow, poor salaries

Current Employee - Buying Manager  in  Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ocado full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room to develop. Room to share and implement ideas. Fast paced

Cons

graduates take most of the jobs. The pay reviews are unclear. The salaries are below the market. You have go above and beyond to prove yourself before considering you for pay increase. Need to work harder to retain staff as large staff turnaround

Bonus incentives

Worked for Ocado? Contribute to the Community!