Occidental Petroleum

Occidental Petroleum Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen

Stephen I. Chazen

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule and good benefits package(in 19 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Hostile work environment, employee favorites and double standards with supervisors and HR(in 10 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies(in 5 reviews)

It's okay if you like working in a frat house

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelpful co-workers, good restaurants nearby

ConsManagement lives in its own bubble

Avoid at all costs

Engineer (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsIts good to have worked here so you know what its like to work for one of the worst employers out there. It gives a basis of comparison with other companies that are much better to work for.

ConsPolitics, hostile working environments, immature cliques, poor compensation on both salary and benefits, very limited working locations, no investment in employee development, everyone works to avoid accountability.

Oxy has been described internally as a 'Contrarian Company' which is something I very much agree with in terms of being a preferred employer. They are definitely opposite to their peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifficult to provide advice as the mentality seems to be that this is just what the people at Oxy want their company to be.

Many things seriously wrong at Oxy

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of work in oil and gas right now.

ConsPetty, immature environment and sometimes significant work place discrimination. Many people have left, some through being victimized. Only positive reviews seem to now be from uneducated interns and naive graduates who have not been at the company long to know what it is really like. Periodic, mass layoffs then hiring for those same positions 6 months later - employment through intimidation.

Mediocre salaries for professionals, childish workplace mentality and very few opportunities for training courses (no support for development). Compared to many other oil companies, Oxy is by far the worst. This is not an 'employer of choice' - it is an employer of last resort.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for what you do and the kind of petty organization you run.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work experience

Drilling Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAt Oxy, you have the ability to advance and execute ideas without all the red tape encountered at larger operators. Advancement opportunities are abundant as well.

ConsOxy's asset portfolio limits workers to primarily domestic workplaces. Certainly not a con for those wanting to stay stateside.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue promoting younger talent, but understand where they lack experience.

Open to express yourself and your ideas

ProsGreat people to work with

Consmove at the speed of sound sometimes you need to slow up to hear it

Very good work environment, however it all depends on where you work. Some departments are less relaxed than others.

ProsNot very stressful work environment and a lot of encouraging people to turn to.

ConsVery strict about GPA requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded about grades especially once interns have proven their ability to work.

Bad CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNice co-workers. 9/80. Young people get big responsibilities since day one. Good offices, not cubicles. Good IT support. Team work is promoted. Sponsored gym membership.

ConsToo much uncertainty with the current CEO. He is breaking the company into pieces. He was a great CFO but not a good CEO. He is not innovative or creative, the only thing he can think of to increase stock price is to sell the company into pieces.

One of the strengths Oxy used to have was the ability to operate in countries with high political risk, now the CEO is selling everything with high political risk. Also he announces and doesn't execute, changing plans quarter by quarter. CEO also named a 35 year old CFO that was not even familiar with the oil industry terminology. CEO gave the order to put young people in charge, people with less than 5 years of experience are becoming managers, making mistakes that cost the company millions, and creating a bad work environment.

The internal "mafias" are rampant and if you're not part of one, your career won't go anywhere regarding of your performance.

Technical Excellence is on decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think long term, not only about the stock price for the next quarter.

A Company stuck in the past unwilling to evolve

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood pay. Good benefits. 9/80 work schedule.

ConsOxy way is a total lack of structure, procedures and standards. Highly political. Employee evaluations based on perception not data. No career ladder. No employee thought out development. Some come to work and do their well defined job while others are responsible for an effort cradle to grave. The Oxy way is to make it up as you go along.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to successful companies in your industry and learn. Deal fairly with employees. Think of their future and develop them.

Wish I had left this disgraceful company sooner

Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros9/80 schedule, but typical for Oil and Gas in general

ConsPoor salary and benefits package
    Hostile and sometimes bigoted working environment
    Petty office politics and bias HR staff
    Limited career advancement opportunities
    Company reducing size, so limited places for experience - primarily now just Houston for engineers outside of California.
    Asset development planning and execution is poorly managed
    Company has an over reliance on a small group of work horses, who they treat like garbage until they quit
    Too many arrogant, young graduates with too few senior staff to guide and mentor them

Now that I am working for another operator, the differences between a professional company and Oxy are incredible. Wish I had moved on from Oxy much sooner, but didn't realize how bad it was until I had something to compare too.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress company wide, glaring business practices and environment that have Oxy labelled as a no go for anyone to work for.

People need to be warned about Oxy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsDifficult to come up with a pro compared to other oil and gas companies.

ConsMany people have been driven out of Oxy by the companies arrogant and bigoted attitude toward employees. Oxy consists of certain cliques and the junior high school mentality of the companies work environment is not what many professionals are looking for in a career. The company is petty, disorganized and enforces very hateful double standards towards people who will not tolerate discrimination.

Oxy has no training program or development path to speak of, salaries are significantly below average and opportunities to develop experience are limited. There is a lack of serious, committed attitude towards safety and the politics of HR and middle management always seem to ensure someone else pays for lack of accountability at this level.

Both new graduates and experienced professionals would be better served working for anyone but Occidental.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Take responsibility for the work environment created at would is supposed to be a professional company and focus on fostering a pro team/pro employee company. The success will follow on these foundations.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!