Occidental Petroleum

Occidental Petroleum Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen

Stephen I. Chazen

Pros:
  • "9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Plenty of work in oil and gas right now"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Management followed stock prices too closely, and it affected the work environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pretty good place to intern

IT Intern (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern for less than a year

ProsHad an awesome mentor, pays very well and includes company-provided housing. A few good social events (Schlitterbahn, baseball game, Dave and Busters). We presented to the CIO at the end of the summer. The culture is pretty laid back, and I wasn't afraid of asking for help. The underground parking and on site food court was nice.

ConsI felt like the IT interns weren't treated as well as the other interns. Only a few of us got full time offers while nearly all engineering interns received offers. We also weren't able to participate in as many social events as the others (rock climbing, skydiving). Some of the IT interns didn't have very exciting projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the IT interns the same as the other interns.

Good So far

Staff Facilities Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for less than a year

ProsPros - Good pay
Mentors available
9/80 work schedule
Great bonuses
Managers are not micro-managers
Relax, friendly atmosphere

ConsCons – On-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees. I didn't get a mentor
Huge work load

I have had an enjoyable career at Occidental Petroleum and would recommend it to anyone with a strong work ethic.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe leadership balances priorities such as adding shareholder value and promoting career development well. The employees work together as a team and have a sense of pride in where they work.

ConsSome of the larger oils have more locations to choose from as your career grows but beyond that fact, there is no better large oil company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making smart acquisition decisions and growing the company in the way you have the past ~10 years.

A company with no ethics, integrity or morals.

Senior Facilities Engineer (Former Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWithin individual assets, there are numerous opportunities for learning and development. Senior contract staff can help guide you on technical approaches to projects and where you should focus on developing skills. Only financial benefits are recent retention bonuses, but they have now stopped. Young engineers can gain from quick advancement, if not in leadership roles then in pay grade, because the older engineers have left.

ConsOxys reputation is the lowest in the industry and, as a result, many people have left once they realize why. In fact, the turnover is so large that graduates five years out of college are given the title of senior engineer - which is ridiculous given the level of experience that this position usually requires.

Oxy is a very cliquish company, with people even slightly different from the archaic culture being driven out. The company makes a show of being safety orientated, but in reality production and the bottom line are the priorities. This can be seen in their safety performance which is another example of the low level of concern for peoples well being - particularly from HR.

There is a great deal of victimization within the company, with stonewalling on performance reviews being very unproductive. Accountability only seems to apply to certain people.

Salaries are very low compared to majors such as Chevron and Conoco and, despite Oxys inability to attract talent, pay raises and overall compensation remain laughable. Assets in California and Texas are really the only location options - Libya and Oman being the primary oversees options and North Dakota extremely challenging for anyone in the current oil and gas climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany requires a complete culture change, review of current abusive HR practices and an image makeover.

Engineering Specialist

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training resources. Big company so more opportunities to move to different disciplines.

ConsPoor Management. Manager lacking inspirational and technical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more class in management. Open to different ideas and listen.

Good place to work

Production Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work environment & opportunity to grow

ConsMay not be for everyone

Good company

Staff Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAvailable to work in CA or overseas if you want to avoid TX.

ConsThe executives enjoys lavish compensastion.

Not the best place for a young engineer.

Intern (Former Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum part-time for less than a year

ProsMany experienced people. They pay well, but California cost of living is not compensated for.

ConsAging workforce. Feel like a number instead of an employee.

Typical large corporation - pros and cons as a result

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, of course. The pay rate is better than you'll often get at other places for a similar workload. Everything is laid out in writing - no surprises from HR and no hollering bosses or anything like that. There are plenty of people to share the workload, and in addition to this, there is plenty of money to get hardware/software/consultants as needed. This is an oil company, and it is very profitable.

ConsCons are those of a large company. You have a specific role. You won't do much outside that role - you will not wear a lot of hats because those are other people's turf. In this sense, your skillset may suffer. You will develop a new set of skills however, and this is of the large corporation, which is something you cannot emulate at a small shop no matter the conditions. There are a lot of formalities and red tape, however, everything is done at a very high quality if you compare that to what is done by other institutions and corporations that are smaller and less formal. It takes effort to get things done - and patience.

Positive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Midland, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery flexible work schedule
Management is very knowledgeable with respect to their positions
Positive working environment with an open door policy to aid all employees

ConsOn-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees
Due to issues in lack of communication supply chain gets a bad rep even though they work hard as a support organization
Performance evaluations are lacking in effectiveness and are demotivating to many

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the performance evaluations and work on your employee on-boarding. Other than that, Oxy is a great company to work with.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Occidental Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Occidental Petroleum CEO Stephen I. Chazen. All 114 reviews posted anonymously by Occidental Petroleum employees.