Occidental Petroleum

Updated November 4, 2014
3.2

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen
Stephen I. Chazen

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers (in 15 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, no excessive corporate paternalism like some of the other majors (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Conservative work environment where only upper management have a say regarding policy (in 13 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company that cares about employees

Current Employee - Buyer Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Buyer Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Oxy ties it's compensation to the other companies in the industry and tries to be one of the better compensators. flexibility of schedules allows for a good work-life balance.

Cons

The average age of employees is higher, but it is not necessarily a bad thing as it brings growth opportunities.

GREAT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are great. The managers are honest, intelligent, genuinely nice, and caring people. The building isn't as nice as some others I've been in, the pay isn't quite as high, but this is by far the best place I've worked. The people are great, the managers are great, they treat you like a person, not a worker drone.

Cons

None really. Personally I dislike the 9/80 work schedule because I'm a single parent, but other than that I have no complaints. My only complaint was that I wasn't able to become a permanent employee with them when my contract ran out. I really would have liked to stay.

Could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work schedule (9/80), benefits and overall package.
    Open door policy helps foster a good support group.
    Good location to avoid downtown traffic.

Cons

Big disconnect between upper management and new hires.
    Depending on position could have periods of downtime.
    Seems like hard work isn't always rewarded and recognized.

Talk to your people, be more transparent, most of all - listen and don't jump to conclusions.

Oxy is a really great company

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The company takes really good care of their employess. They offer terrific benefits. An overall great company to work for. They are also known for volunteering.

Cons

Not too sure of the cons for this company. I was hired through a recruiting agency.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great benefits, including generous 401k matching, pension, health, short and long term disability, and vacation.
    - Flat organization with few levels of management allows staff to assume huge responsibility and call a lot of shots.
    - Lots of opportunity for resilient entrepreneurial individuals that don't need a lot of structure.

Cons

- lean staff means crazy workload.
    - Quality of mid managers varies greatly; can affect performance rating.
    - Rating system isn't always consistently applied. The same growth area may be overlooked completely by one manager, while another focuses too heavily on the same item.

More training for younger managers. Overall, most try to do the right thing, but some are clearly torn between politics / pleasing upper management versus growing their staff. Consider implementing 360 appraisals for managers. Otherwise, OXY is really a great company to work for. Benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Long term commitment to get anywhere with this company.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

6% matching 401k. Separate retirement account that amounts to about $2500 a year. Higher than average bonus (10-15%; higher if you are one of the "chosen" ones).

Cons

Don't let them fool you with their slightly better than average benefits package. They are WAY low on base salary. I know this because I left and got over a 20% raise. It would have taken me between 4 and 5 years more at Oxy to get that type of raise. I'm not the only one. I know of many people who feel the same way. Average raises, year by year, are around 3%. When you start at 50 or 60k, it will take you a very long time to catch up to where you should be.

The politicking here is crazy. Employees WILL stab you in the back - it happened to me by more than one person. Not only that, but to get anywhere you MUST "do what you're told". If you don't brown nose it's very hard to get anywhere. Managers have their favorites. Oh, and don't get on the "blacklist." If you do you're virtually out of the running to be manager or basically anything other than "IT drone." I can't tell you how many people got their MBA's paid for by Oxy then had to leave because they would not promote them.

One last thing I want to mention. There is little explanation on why some people get certain benefits and others don't. This includes "project bonuses" as well as extra Stock incentive. They never fully explain, if they even mention these things to you which they probably won't, how you get them. If you don't know about these things then the don't have to give them to you, right?

I hope the ITIL initiative works out. You're employees moral is very low.

Head hits ceiling quick

Former Employee - Landman in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Landman in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good name recognition for future employers, allows for further education

Cons

Does not allow you to grow beyond scope of responsibilities. Very negative work environment. Every department I met people were unsatisfied. Low pay

Don't tell employees that want to grow within the company, that they don't have enough experience when the company is hiring interns above individuals with 3-5 years experience with college degrees. Management from Land Administration would not approve promotions and therefore put a limit on earning potential.

Good

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they move quickly, you can learn a lot

Cons

none really, good company to work for

none

Unorganized, lack of leadership and growth opportunities

Former Employee - Lease Records Landman in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lease Records Landman in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule, no excessive corporate paternalism like some of the other majors.

Cons

Annual bonus is based on corporate performance and not individual effectiveness. Uneven distribution of workload and no clear path for promotion leads to unhappy employees.

Quit playing favorites; pay competitive salaries and promote based on merit. The best and brightest have left or are leaving because of these issues.

I have received great opportunities, however OXY does not develop young talent well and compensation is behind.

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and 9/80 work schedule helps with the heavy workload. You will get great opportunities to put on your resume.

Cons

Poor development of young engineers. Managers play favorites and the ratings system is arbitrary and only depends on how much your manager favors you.

OXY will continue to loose their top talent and top young talent unless:
    1. Begin compensation programs that keep pace with the industry
    2. Develop more comprehensive strategies to develop young talent
    3. Continue to provide challenges for best talent
    4. Listen to young talent

Occidental Petroleum Photos

Street view of the Occidental Petroleum headquarter office located in Westwood, Los Angeles, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.118)
building