Occidental Petroleum

Updated December 2, 2014
3.2

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen
Stephen I. Chazen

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers (in 15 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, no excessive corporate paternalism like some of the other majors (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Conservative work environment where only upper management have a say regarding policy (in 13 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company that cares about employees

Current Employee - Buyer Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Buyer Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Oxy ties it's compensation to the other companies in the industry and tries to be one of the better compensators. flexibility of schedules allows for a good work-life balance.

Cons

The average age of employees is higher, but it is not necessarily a bad thing as it brings growth opportunities.

GREAT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are great. The managers are honest, intelligent, genuinely nice, and caring people. The building isn't as nice as some others I've been in, the pay isn't quite as high, but this is by far the best place I've worked. The people are great, the managers are great, they treat you like a person, not a worker drone.

Cons

None really. Personally I dislike the 9/80 work schedule because I'm a single parent, but other than that I have no complaints. My only complaint was that I wasn't able to become a permanent employee with them when my contract ran out. I really would have liked to stay.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Prod in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Prod in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great support system for young engineers
    Challenging work environment

Cons

Less structured training but that can be a positive

None

Fantastic

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Oxy treats its employees very well. Safety is the utmost priority. Very fast turn-around between interview and job offer.

Cons

Working in the field can be mentally taxing, but Oxy does their absolute best to prevent this being a problem.

Best job ever!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, oportunities to move, upper level management (the majority) accepts ideas and suggestions. Your work and dedication are appreciated and acknowledged.

Cons

Some red tape on some issues. Some of the managers can be real jerks, not all managers have the skills necessary to be good managers.

Special Projects Coordinator

Current Employee - Special Projects Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Special Projects Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely good to their employees.

Cons

Maybe have more employees with degrees.

Promote from within,

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great benefits, including generous 401k matching, pension, health, short and long term disability, and vacation.
    - Flat organization with few levels of management allows staff to assume huge responsibility and call a lot of shots.
    - Lots of opportunity for resilient entrepreneurial individuals that don't need a lot of structure.

Cons

- lean staff means crazy workload.
    - Quality of mid managers varies greatly; can affect performance rating.
    - Rating system isn't always consistently applied. The same growth area may be overlooked completely by one manager, while another focuses too heavily on the same item.

More training for younger managers. Overall, most try to do the right thing, but some are clearly torn between politics / pleasing upper management versus growing their staff. Consider implementing 360 appraisals for managers. Otherwise, OXY is really a great company to work for. Benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Good

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they move quickly, you can learn a lot

Cons

none really, good company to work for

none

Oxy Houston is a terrific employer!

Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary.
    Great benefits.
    Secured job.
    Annual bonuses.
    Annual raises.
    Everyone here is educated, hard working and intense. If you see yourself like this then Oxy is definitely for you. Anyone looking to collect an easy paycheck though should abstain.

Cons

Conservative work environment where only upper management have a say regarding policy.

Consider integrating suggestions from those who actually do the work on the ground rather than from those who've only just studied Organizational Management. If your staff consistently tells you they cannot complete a task correctly within a given timeframe, maybe consider integrating their suggestions on how they might be able to do it.

Fantastic Experience!!!

Current Employee - IT Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company truly cares about their people. As an intern, having only worked 5 days thus far, I have been able to schedule a meeting with the CIO just to talk to him and get to know him more. In addition to that, Oxy is more than happy to fly other interns from various locations as far as Michigan into Houston just for an Intern social event.

Cons

My only reserve for this company is they are very focused on their Engineers and International Interns/Employees. Again I have only been here 5 days and we have had 3 pretty major meetings with top management, at two of these 3 the main speaker didn't even refer to my area of focus (IT). They did the activity where they said "Raise your hand if you are an Intern in [Engineering, OxyChem, Geology, from the UAE, etc.]". I guess though this is kind of to be expected with an oil company... I don't need my handheld as an IT guy.

Be mindful of all moving parts of your company (especially of people that get your computers and rigs running).

Occidental Petroleum Photos

Street view of the Occidental Petroleum headquarter office located in Westwood, Los Angeles, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.118)
building