Occidental Petroleum

Occidental Petroleum Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen

Stephen I. Chazen

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule and good benefits package (in 19 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Hostile work environment, employee favorites and double standards with supervisors and HR (in 10 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start, then jump to an independent

Production/Operations Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- Good people, mentors and senior technical staff are open to help entry level people
    - Given a lot of reponsibility from day 1; sometimes it feels like a sink-or-swim but they won't let you "sink" - as a result you will learn a lot very fast
    - Pretty flexible - most managers won't micro-manage you as long as you meet project deadlines

Cons- Permian business unit is entrenched with very experienced people - as a young person you will most likely not have a "seat at the table"
    - Slow to rotate young people into new positions, especially if you don't play politics
    - Big beauracracy - had to get approval from GM just to do $250k well repair projects with positive rates of return - kind of a joke for a business unit that profits ~$3B/yr.

Very little beaurocracy...kind of disorganized

Geologist (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsLots of flexibility. Ideas can become reality very quickly. There are very few processes and very little red tape. Pay is around average for the industry.

ConsLack of processes makes disorganization fairly common. Flexibility leads to too much change, with reorganizations every year or two. Oxy has done layoffs in the past during downturns (although not since 2008 or so). Limited number of international work locations. California business units are being spun-off into a new company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorgs need to be handled more quickly. Announcing a reorganization and waiting months to release details kills morale.

Awful experience - actively looking to get out

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFairly good collection of benefits, but nothing to move companies for.

ConsHostile work environment, employee favorites and double standards with supervisors and HR. Company is selling off its California business units due to poor management. Many professionals coming through Oxy and moving on in a short period of time.

Houston manages most of what is left - if you want to commute out to West Texas to get to the fields, then I guess an engineering position may attract you. Hiring and firing cycles are frequent. If you are looking for a mature and professional environment then don't come to Oxy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to turn the companies reputation around through better employee relations - Oxy is becoming an operator nobody wants to work for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oxy is a lovely place

Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of projects to work on

Conscant think of any now

The political minefield they call Occidental Petroleum, where it's not about what you know, but who and saying yes.

Professional (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome good people, decent benefits, flexible work schedule as long as you're working 60 hours per week, there aren't any 980's where I live. They have some good folks but are hemorrhaging them right now to others willing to offer more money, better work life balance and who actually pay for performance.

ConsPolitics rule promotions, it's not what you know, it's who. Despite their assertion people are not their primary resource, with all of the reorganization and becoming a smaller company means less people, therefore they overwork the people that are there, use the performance review system to beat people down, are obsessed with head count and would rather pay 3 times as much using consultants to get rid of a direct employee. I can't see how spending 3x more money for the convenience of being able to get rid of someone without having to fabricate a case in the performance review system is a benefit to the company. Low morale in most people who have been there a while and are honest. There is no pay for performance, and anyone that says there is just happens to be on the sunny side of the field for now or is a sacrificial anode. Oxy pays for blind obedience, inner circles are filled with yes men asking what's in it for them, you are expected to push the ethics envelope, not visibly of course and if you don't you become a liability or at best someone on the way out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the shareholders know how much money is being wasted on consultants? No. Do you surround yourself with yes men? Yes. Are people really your greatest asset? No. Do you pay for performance? No. You have a number of positional managers, not leaders, but those that rule and sometimes terrorize by position alone. You do not reward leadership or value diversity which includes differing ideas. Ethics are desired but get in the way of the big fish getting what they want, so you stretch the rules a bit to create a double standard that if a regular employee was involved in would get slapped down; enter the yes man, the sacrificial anode, plausible deniability; exit the better employees.

Awsome company benefits!

ProsGreat work environment, nice co-workers, excellent benefits and company perks.

ConsTotal disconnect between management and subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees.

Fantastic Experience!!!

IT Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis company truly cares about their people. As an intern, having only worked 5 days thus far, I have been able to schedule a meeting with the CIO just to talk to him and get to know him more. In addition to that, Oxy is more than happy to fly other interns from various locations as far as Michigan into Houston just for an Intern social event.

ConsMy only reserve for this company is they are very focused on their Engineers and International Interns/Employees. Again I have only been here 5 days and we have had 3 pretty major meetings with top management, at two of these 3 the main speaker didn't even refer to my area of focus (IT). They did the activity where they said "Raise your hand if you are an Intern in [Engineering, OxyChem, Geology, from the UAE, etc.]". I guess though this is kind of to be expected with an oil company... I don't need my handheld as an IT guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of all moving parts of your company (especially of people that get your computers and rigs running).

It was ok

Prosvery good work so its good

ConsHigh stress and life sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

I was told that I wasn't needed anymore, so I started looking elsewhere for a job

GeoTech (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-9/80 schedule
    -health benefits seem to be par with industry
    -early career development program (except it seems to be meant only for certain employees, not all early career employees)

Cons-high turnover-I saw more people come and go rather than come and stay in a similar position to mine
    -below average salary
    -selling off assets (or trying to) will further limit career opportunities
    -disconnect between upper and lower level management

Advice to Senior ManagementI had been quite unhappy for awhile, but wasn't looking to leave until the company started selling off assets and I was told I was not needed anymore. Be prepared for more employees leaving because of this.

Current employee.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLocation is good. Building is so, so. I've been here several years. I have 30+ years experience. I have a new supervisor and all you have to do is be a yes man and brown nose. Not good for compliance, especially when he/she will report anything to get the work out. It will come back to bite. Yes, I'm looking.

ConsEven if you work 18 hours a day a yes man with years less experience can take your job away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should watch what you RMT's and Team Leads are doing right under your noses. Unless, you don't care as long as it appears OXY is advancing.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!