Occidental Petroleum

Updated January 20, 2015
3.2

Occidental Petroleum President & CEO Stephen I. Chazen
Stephen I. Chazen

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule is great and they are good at rewarding their employees with time off and company get togethers (in 15 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, no excessive corporate paternalism like some of the other majors (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Conservative work environment where only upper management have a say regarding policy (in 13 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to other oil and gas companies (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Oxy is a lovely place

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of projects to work on

Cons

cant think of any now

The political minefield they call Occidental Petroleum, where it's not about what you know, but who and saying yes.

Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people, decent benefits, flexible work schedule as long as you're working 60 hours per week, there aren't any 980's where I live. They have some good folks but are hemorrhaging them right now to others willing to offer more money, better work life balance and who actually pay for performance.

Cons

Politics rule promotions, it's not what you know, it's who. Despite their assertion people are not their primary resource, with all of the reorganization and becoming a smaller company means less people, therefore they overwork the people that are there, use the performance review system to beat people down, are obsessed with head count and would rather pay 3 times as much using consultants to get rid of a direct employee. I can't see how spending 3x more money for the convenience of being able to get rid of someone without having to fabricate a case in the performance review system is a benefit to the company. Low morale in most people who have been there a while and are honest. There is no pay for performance, and anyone that says there is just happens to be on the sunny side of the field for now or is a sacrificial anode. Oxy pays for blind obedience, inner circles are filled with yes men asking what's in it for them, you are expected to push the ethics envelope, not visibly of course and if you don't you become a liability or at best someone on the way out.

Do the shareholders know how much money is being wasted on consultants? No. Do you surround yourself with yes men? Yes. Are people really your greatest asset? No. Do you pay for performance? No. You have a number of positional managers, not leaders, but those that rule and sometimes terrorize by position alone. You do not reward leadership or value diversity which includes differing ideas. Ethics are desired but get in the way of the big fish getting what they want, so you stretch the rules a bit to create a double standard that if a regular employee was involved in would get slapped down; enter the yes man, the sacrificial anode, plausible deniability; exit the better employees.

Awsome company benefits!

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, nice co-workers, excellent benefits and company perks.

Cons

Total disconnect between management and subordinates.

Respect your employees.

Fantastic Experience!!!

Current Employee - IT Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This company truly cares about their people. As an intern, having only worked 5 days thus far, I have been able to schedule a meeting with the CIO just to talk to him and get to know him more. In addition to that, Oxy is more than happy to fly other interns from various locations as far as Michigan into Houston just for an Intern social event.

Cons

My only reserve for this company is they are very focused on their Engineers and International Interns/Employees. Again I have only been here 5 days and we have had 3 pretty major meetings with top management, at two of these 3 the main speaker didn't even refer to my area of focus (IT). They did the activity where they said "Raise your hand if you are an Intern in [Engineering, OxyChem, Geology, from the UAE, etc.]". I guess though this is kind of to be expected with an oil company... I don't need my handheld as an IT guy.

Be mindful of all moving parts of your company (especially of people that get your computers and rigs running).

It was ok

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

very good work so its good

Cons

High stress and life sucks

Nothing

I was told that I wasn't needed anymore, so I started looking elsewhere for a job

Former Employee - GeoTech in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - GeoTech in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-9/80 schedule
    -health benefits seem to be par with industry
    -early career development program (except it seems to be meant only for certain employees, not all early career employees)

Cons

-high turnover-I saw more people come and go rather than come and stay in a similar position to mine
    -below average salary
    -selling off assets (or trying to) will further limit career opportunities
    -disconnect between upper and lower level management

I had been quite unhappy for awhile, but wasn't looking to leave until the company started selling off assets and I was told I was not needed anymore. Be prepared for more employees leaving because of this.

Current employee.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location is good. Building is so, so. I've been here several years. I have 30+ years experience. I have a new supervisor and all you have to do is be a yes man and brown nose. Not good for compliance, especially when he/she will report anything to get the work out. It will come back to bite. Yes, I'm looking.

Cons

Even if you work 18 hours a day a yes man with years less experience can take your job away.

You should watch what you RMT's and Team Leads are doing right under your noses. Unless, you don't care as long as it appears OXY is advancing.

The most disgraceful company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance only - 9-80 schedule.

Cons

Childish, bigoted work environment. Mediocre salaries and compensations packages. Ineffective, generic performance reviews and none existent training/development. No work ethic, accountability, responsibility or prospects for advancement. Company downsizing due to poor reputation and inability to hold on to professional staff. Petty middle management, prejudice HR policies and victimization of certain people. Extremely limited working locations and poorly managed assets.

Fresh leadership with a professional background is needed to totally reinvent the company and start over. Don't be cowards when dealing with bigoted employees as this promotes Oxys already shameful reputation within oil and gas.

Actually tell my friends not to even apply to come here

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you get to be an expat ( not very easy) your benefits are great

Cons

- Currently the perception is that management has no clue what to do with the company, they cut a rig, then two months later ask how much money we need to add a rig, constant business plan changes, never-ending pointless re-orgs !

Tell us what you want to do and we can do it, but define a path for the employees to follow

temporary assignment

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as a contractor

Pros

Seemed like a very nice place to work. Position was temporary possibly to hire but I had to stop working due to pregnancy complications.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons except maybe difficult to find parking unless you are given access to the company parking area.

Occidental Petroleum Photos

Street view of the Occidental Petroleum headquarter office located in Westwood, Los Angeles, CA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.118)
building