Ocean House Reviews

CEO

5 Star Service for Guests, 1 Star Service for Employees

Former Employee - Destination Services Agent
    Former Employee - Destination Services Agent

I worked at Ocean House part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prestigious company with interesting and high-level clientele. Beautiful location and great money during the summer busy season. Forbes training teaches eloquent speaking and manners which transition well to other customer service jobs.

Cons

The company promotes positive and inspiring ideas ("Break against the mold" "Support your team") but those are not practiced within the property. Senior management is overworked, under a lot of pressure, and the many Forbes standards often make operations slower and more complicated than they need to be. The Destination Services department specifically is a glorified call center that is understaffed and has too many responsibilities for one department to handle. The focus within the entire hotel is on revenue and having warm bodies at work, not the employees' well being. In addition, the employee break room is adjacent to the loading dock and trash areas and is disgusting. Overall, the hotel hires talented and good employees whom are expected to output 150% while getting 10% support or encouragement. This is the worst place I have ever worked and am so happy to have left.

Advice to Management

Improve morale and give employees more positive encouragement. Give employees the same respect you give guests.

The worst experience of my working career.

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Westerly, RI

I worked at Ocean House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to gain 5 star experience to learn what it takes to get and maintain a Forbes 5 star rating.
    Beautiful building and beach.

Cons

This is undoubtedly the worst place that I have ever worked! I chose to give the hotel a try even though the reputation is very bad. I wish I had not given them a shot. The management team is incompetent to say the least. The department was always badly understaffed and I had to work many additional hours to make up for the lack of employees. When I needed time off, it was denied due to business, even though I had worked a bunch of overtime in the summer to help out. Management does not care about you as a person, just the business. They promote free food during breaks and this is true, however it is so badly maintained, you are lucky to get a small bite during your break. The food made me ill with food poisoning twice in the short time I was there.

Advice to Management

What you are doing to your people is unacceptable! Senior managers are completely out of touch, spend some time watching and listening to your employees, recognize how hard they work for you and treat them with the respect you "demand". You are running out of people willing to work in your hotel.

RSS Feed </> Embed