Ocean Properties

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.3

Michael Walsh

This is a great company for work-life balance.

Current Employee - Bartender in Longboat Key, FL
    Current Employee - Bartender in Longboat Key, FL

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stellar locations, professional clientele, and a supportive management team.

Cons

Limited department budgets, overworked management, outdated properties.

This was the Lido Beach Resort property. Glorified motel. I learned why the managers are not at a real hotel.

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Room discounts at other properties. Some decent benefits.

Cons

Run down, tacky place. Extremely high employee turnover and poor morale Managers are very out of touch with their team. GM actually told me once "Well this isn't a four star hotel." Wow! Way to set the bar so high for you and your team. Only thing going for this place is some of the views of the Gulf of Mexico. I was written up for being 11 min. late once with no prior problems. Then you have the concierge who would not only yell, but berate coworkers right in the lobby in front of guests, myself being one of them. Everyone in our dept. could not stand working with her, she got nominated for employee of the month?! HR manager, Asst. GM, and FB manager all rude and clueless about what being a good manager is. I worked for many years in the hospitality business, I never worked somewhere that management was so oblivious.

Try a new line of work.

Opportunity for Growth and Experience

Current Employee - Manager in Key West, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Key West, FL

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Employee turnover is high. High turnover creates an opportunity for a new inexperienced employee to get experience for a resume so the person can get a job at a better company offering better benefits, pay and nice work atmosphere.

2. Perpetually understaffed. Understaffing creates an opportunity for a new employee to feel like they are making a deposit in the emotional bank account when they are asked, with no advance notice to come in early, stay late and pick up an extra shift. Be prepared to have your schedule constantly change between night and day shift or night and day shift on the same day.

3. Experience in a crisis environment. High turnover and understaffing give an employee the opportunity to learn to function in a work environment filled with crisis after crisis. You can go to any hotel after working here and you'll be experienced in dealing with any problem you can imagine.

Cons

1. Unappreciative. No matter what you contribute no one cares. You can do everything that is asked of you and volunteer for every unpleasant task and be on standby every minute of the day and no one will ever care what you've done for the company.

2. If a new employee is hired that the owner or managers believe is more experienced than you are the owners and managers will get rid of you in a passive aggressive manner. They will cut your hours or give you a shift you don't like. They may call you in to work with no notice and if it's impossible for you to come in they will write you up. If you agree to come in they will then send you home shortly after you arrive. If something goes wrong that has nothing to do with you, expect to receive a written reprimand.

3. Write up management style. Owners and managers write up employees to manage them. If an employee has a few write ups in their file they can be fired at any moment and it appears that the employee was fired with cause. If you are fired this way you may have difficulty finding another job in the hotel industry. OPL will report that you are not eligible to be rehired.

4. Low pay. Expect to earn the lowest pay for the job that you're doing. Be sure to get it in writing. You may be promised an hourly rate, an annual salary, a bonus or commission structure. After you receive your pay check you may notice that you haven't been given what you were told you would be paid. If you are an hourly employee your hours will be limited. If you're an hourly employee you probably can't buy insurance. You will likely choose between paying your bills and buying insurance. If you're a salary employee you'll work so many hours that your hourly rate will be lower than your employees. You may live in a constant state of sleep deprivation and stress caused by the crisis work environment. If you are promised a commission or bonus structure you may not get the money you were promised. The owner will come up with some excuse for why the company can't afford to pay you.

5. Don't get hurt. If you get hurt, expect to get written up almost immediately for something you had no control over. You may then be fired due to the write ups in your file.

6. Don't Complain. If you complain to your supervisor, a manager, human resources or an owner be sure to have another job lined up prior to your complaint. You will be written up shortly after for something that you didn't do or had not control over or that you had permission to do. Then, due to the write ups in your file you'll be fired. When a new employer calls to find out the circumstances they will be told that you are not eligible to be rehired and you probably won't be hired by the new company. You may need to find a job in a new industry.

7. Crisis environment. You'll work in a high stress environment. If you are a manager and have compassion for your staff this will be difficult to take on a day to day basis. If you are asked to get rid of a good employee without cause you will have a great deal of stress and regret. If you are an hourly employee and are helping angry guests there will be little than you can do to fix the problem. Understaffing will continue so there will be a constant crisis with many guests every day. If you are an hourly employee you will constantly be called in to work because someone quit unexpectedly or was fired unexpectedly. If you are a manager you will have employees quitting the moment they find a better work environment or can earn more money.

8. Long term managers. Some long term managers or directors make a decent living. They have been working for OPL for a decade or multiple decades. The managers and directors who make it this long are very impressed with the owners of this company. They have no problem working in this crisis structure. They have no problem treating employees with indifference. There is a coldness and lack of empathy in their character. It's disturbing.

9. Vacation. Don't expect to take a vacation during high season. If the summer is slow expect to be sent home without notice if you're an hourly employee. If you're a salary employee you will work more hours to save money so that you're hourly rate of pay is even lower than it normally is.

10. Owners. Speak only when spoken to. Do not talk to an owner unless they speak to you. A greeting such as hello or an owner looking at you doesn't mean you are permitted to talk to the owner. If an owner speaks to you keep your response limited. Most questions should be answered in a short sentence. The owner probably doesn't care about your opinion and likely is looking for a general attitude on the subject.

There are better options!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ocean Properties

Pros

Not very many pros at all when working for this company. They could care less about you if you are not family or friends.

Cons

Lousy pay, incompetent low-wage managers, overrun with minimum wage immigrant workers that are shipped around seasonally. Quality of food in their restaurants is a joke, and it's a shame what they do to a 3 or 4 star restaurant in a new property they acquire. I worked for over 4 years and every time my benefits or vacation time came up my hours were cut just enough to make me ineligible. They don't care about you.

Management wouldn't listen anyway, like I said, if you are not family or close friends you are nobody to this company.

The company does not seem to care about it's employees

Current Employee - South Florida Area
    Current Employee - South Florida Area

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the properties I have worked the General Manager has been a true leader and has made the hotels a great place to work.

Cons

No benefits and very low pay.

My advice to Upper management:: A competative advantage is aquired through it's human capital. You should really look in to how you treat the front line employee and consider making some stategic changes. No direct deposit? You sell medical benifits that are not beneficial at all. (a cash paying customer or welfare recepiant is better off). Your payroll system is working off of New Hampshire tax laws but we live and work in Forida which caused complications at tax time. It really appears that you do not care which makes many people wonder why should they? The one positive thing you have in your corner is one particular GM and others around the company which makes a tolerable place for some and a great place for others.

Poor Management; Very high turnover

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Portland, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are friendly. Hours are easily negotiable. Work is not exciting. Customers can be very rude when they don't get what they want.

Cons

Poor pay. Bad training. Management isn't always helpful. Favoritism attitude. Cubicles. Very high turnover. They are ALWAYS hiring new agents.

Allow your employees to mingle! As long as they get the job done, it shouldn't be a problem.

Poor experience and do not feel appreciated

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Lunch offered at a reasonable rate

Cons

Low Salary, poor training program, they do not invest in their employees, high turnover

learn who is working for you and take better care of your employees

senior Nortel pbx support technician

Current Employee - PBX Technician in Delray Beach, FL
    Current Employee - PBX Technician in Delray Beach, FL

I have been working at Ocean Properties part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is located in delray beach south florida, five minute walk from the beach good benefits, travel oppurtunities, decent salary. Amazing corporate partiys

Cons

it is a part time position, so i am not entitle to any benefits. Youu need to be prepare to work at any time anywhere between key west florida and montreal Canada.

Great company to get experience with

Current Employee - Food and Beverage
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you get excellent exposure to the industry and management responsibilities. You really get thrown in. They don't hold back on giving you the keys and allowing you to run there restaurants.

Cons

As great as the exposure is and the traveling and the constant growth you work a tune of hours and are often under qualified for the positions that you are in. This formula makes for exponential growth but also learning the hard way. I was surprised how little time they spent on training. But I learn best this way and it worked out great for me and was able to stack my resume really quickly.

The Height of Incompetence

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They stay in business even in tough economic times

Cons

They pay very little, benefits are low end and the GM's and Ops managers are the most inept group I've ever come across. The property I worked at was falling down around their ears and no attempts were made to make the necessary repairs. Rooms were rented when still dirty and no one cared. Just get as much $$ as possible and who cares if they ever come back? I worked for this company for 10 years, then left in complete disgust.

Get GM's and Ops managers that have experience, don't hire them or move them up in the company because they know the owners or are friends of friends.