Ocean Properties Reviews

Michael Walsh

1. Ok place to work... but pay is terrible

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Ocean Properties part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great , comfortable environment, and not a high stress position. Work life balance is great, perfect for students, people with more than one job and for working around family responsibilities.

Cons

Pay is terrible and not at all competitive, $8.50 an hour! Due to the low pay there is a constant revolving door of agents. They are constantly in need of help and can't keep the really good agents that are needed.

Advice to Management

Pay a more competitive wage and offer the ability for pay increases with increased knowledge base and good performance.

2. Great culture

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time very much with OPL, from everyone on and above property. Pay was great, and the bonus structure was decent. I would definitely return to this company in the future.

Cons

Long hours min 50 per week, and minimal vacation (5 days), only after a 1 year waiting period was difficult to overcome.

A company that preaches loyalty but has NONE!!!

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time

Pros

Good locations in Florida that you can take advantage of during the slow season!!

Cons

If you prefer to be underpaid this is the right company to work for.
    If you are looking for the WORST benefits in the hospitality industry this is the company to work for.
    If you hate having a Work/Life balance and you don't expect yourself to have one, this is the perfect company to work for.
    If you like and agree with Dictatorships, this is the right company to work for.
    If you enjoy destroying your career , this is the right company to work for.
    If you love to be talked down to, this is the right company to work for.

I believe my title says it all:

A company that is built as a family business and always preached loyalty turned out to have none to its loyal employees.

RUN AS FAR AS YOU AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!! THE GRASS IS ACTUALLY WAY GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE!

Advice to Management

They won't listen anyways.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Ocean Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very little, hotel discounts and chocolate sometimes. There were some good people to work with.

Cons

no breaks, just a half hour lunch, long hours, constantly on the phones with like 15 sec between the calls. Managers would be quick to anger and yet they pay min wage and expect the world. you start as an agent 1 and take marriott and holiday inn calls. then they tell you your ready for the all properties which is twice the work and the biggest joke of it was no pay raise... you get paid the same as the level 1 agents and twice the work...

Advice to Management

don't treat you employees like dirt, pay them something decent and maybe everyone wouldn't walk as soon as they fond something better..

Company only cares about making money.

I have been working at Ocean Properties

Pros

I wish I had a bigger list of Pros. the lower level managements (not corporate management) seem to know what they're doing, but theres not much flexibility for which they can make decisions on their own.

Cons

Corporate hires their friends, who have no business/experience running hotels/restaurants. Corporate pays their employees crap. Most employees struggle to live on what they make. There's no incentive for employees to want to work hard. Crap pay, and long hours=unhappy employees

Advice to Management

Rethink your company values. Happy employees make the business more successful...unhappy employees=less successful.

7. Chief engineer

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Ocean Properties

Pros

Is not a good place to work salaries is down

Cons

They make you to do alot of the job in the hotel with the lowest pay and the personality is bad they tthink they own you for everting dont let you take the complete vacation dont give you a raise for nothing

Advice to Management

For the people with out a job you trayin not to work for this managenment PLEASE PLEASE it going to be you nightmare Please dont work here look for a better place

Awful. Still healing from the experience years later.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Portland, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few nice properties in their portfolio.

Cons

All managers are REQUIRED to work 50 hours a week MINIMUM. More is expected. Even if you are on Intermittent FMLA leave, this policy stands - NO MATTER WHAT. Even if you have a death in your immediate family, you are STILL REQUIRED to meet this minimum or you will be written up. I came back from the funeral to a write up that I hadn't met my weekly minimum hour requirement.

Advice to Management

It's time to look at bringing in some top hospitality professionals to evaluate the way this company operates. Instead of just protecting the "chosen" few that allows them to get away with the awful things they do to people. Please take better care with the people that make you succesful at the top. Look at your turnover compared t

9. Terrible, management did not care about their employees and stacked hours on you!

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in South Portland, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people who worked as a reservations agent, nothing else really, supervisors were awful and treated you terribly, when asked to transfer it's the biggest deal in the world

Cons

Don't get me started on this, the hr acts friendly but tells people your business and boy are they rude and one last thing, they skipped out on some of my checks as well!

Advice to Management

Change it especially at the sable Oaks reservation center

10. Front desk agent- Sagamore Resort

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bolton Landing, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Bolton Landing, NY

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, networking, overall operational value with 35-40 hours per week along with potential overtime in busy months.

Cons

Weak hourly rate. $100 a week for rent if living on or off premise if you are in need of housing. Hourly rate was not suitable and living on my own with bills hurt me greatly. They expect the rent money not a day late therefore I was not even close to bringing a strong net amount home each week. Housing was also a headache. Rooming 4 people in an apartment does not work with the weak amenities they offer. Co workers were nice, but there were a handful who acted arrogant for no reason.

Advice to Management

Create a stronger, positive working environment and choose managers who are more outgoing and willing to help out employees when needed.

Server

Former Employee - Server in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Server in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Ocean Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can transfer from place to place (sun chasing).
    Chance to make great money
    Health insurance if you stay with company

Cons

Young management, hired directly out of college so they can pay them less
    Can't keep good managers because they refuse to pay them well
    Food and beverage director at the bar harbor location is terrible

Advice to Management

Pay your managers better so they actually know what they're doing
    Better management training.