www.oceanspray.com

Updated June 27, 2014
3.3

Randy C. Papadellis

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift where you've got the new guard against the old guard. Randy Papadellis recently stated (in a rather infamous corporate meeting) that if you are pushing for the greater good of the company, and you run into resistance, then it is your obligation to keep pushing (paraphrased). This statement is a testament to the transitional nature of the company; there is a conservativeness that stems from a deference to the grower at all costs (including sinking the company). Then, there are those of us that understand that we have to think in terms of long term viability for the growers, which means that the corporate side needs to invest in itself and get out from under the day-to-day reprioritization. Ocean Spray competes in a global economy with all snack and beverage consumption occasions (not just cranberry juice or dried fruit consumption occasions); Not everyone gets this, and herein lies the challenge. The requirement, and biggest opportunity for anyone just coming in to the company, is that we must aggressively grow and innovate at all levels, and there are good leaders that understand this.

A rather unique attribute of the personality of this company is that it is brutally honest with itself. It is no secret that the oversupply of cranberries is stressing the entire industry. I've been in two meetings in the past year where there has been refreshing and honest reflection. An outcome of these meetings is a culture of openness where we we have a mandate to push the company in positive directions. As a young employee, this creates not only interesting and exciting challenges, but also a feeling of loyalty and obligation to innovate at all levels of the company in order to drive positive growth.

If you're the type of person that enjoys an opportunity to influence big business decisions at the highest level, no matter your position, then Ocean Spray can provide that opportunity if you have the right personality and expertise. There is a deep trust of its employees to make good decisions that, in the appropriate hands, can be used for the greater good.

This is a battle for the future of the company; within 1-2 years we'll know if the innovators have won. So far we've got the edge.

Cons

Ocean Spray is competitive salary wise, but it is no joke that salaries do not go as far in the Greater Boston area as they might in a suburban mid-west location.

As other reviewers have noted, Ocean Spray is slow to promote, which is frustrating.

HR is out of touch with the needs of the employees and the greater business climate. The way they operate is a big part of what makes this company seem so conservative and old, especially to new employees.

IT is stuck in the 80s. We constantly fight against outdated technology (or no technology).

Continue to award, in a very public manner, those who innovate and are part of pushing the company to the next level.

Restructure the way you do promotions, where business climate has no influence on whether or not someone gets a promotion. The delays are like a wet blanket and send the wrong message to those that you are depending on, as well as on those around them who wonder what is going on.

You know what you have to do; (continue to) lead with your heart, not fear.

Tough times ahead.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. For the most part, employees are hard working and want the company to succeed. Pay and bonus structure is good.

Cons

Time for a change in management. Doing the same thing over and over is not a recipe for success. Senior leadership needs to be held responsible for recent failures. Time to right the ship before the water gets too deep. How about Innovation? Has a long and sordid rate of failure for almost all new products in the last five years. Failure after failure. How long can that really continue without serious repercussions?

Listen to the employees. Most are dedicated and want to do a good job. Put your egos aside as they are truly hurting the ability of the company to get out of this rut.

Off to a great start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ocean Spray provides a lot of opportunity for those willing to seek it out. In my first six months, I've found management very encouraging of new ideas and received lots of support.

Cons

We have a very defined culture (not necesarily a bad thing) and you have to be willing and able to work within it in order to build consensus.

Comfortable place to work but unlcear of where we are going.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lakeville, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people, good location, great benefits, good pay

Cons

Business seems to be floundering. Lots of Ego's at the top of the organization - feel like we may have lost our way in recent months. Employees are feeling overwhelmed, undervalued, and morale is pretty low right now.

It might be time to make some high level change. We have been headed in the same direction for years. It might be time to head in a new direction, maybe even replace some ego's with a management team that listens before reacting, inquires before jumping to conclusions, and values the expertise that people bring to the table.

Upper management is currently a joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Some great people.

Cons

Management team brought in a few years ago are not trustworthy and not necessarily the best people.

Fire them the first chance you get.

mom and pop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good people who care a lot about their jobs

Cons

no growth, very mom and pop people die out of position

Very good performance. Manage for results. Good company if a minority or young especially.

Former Employee - R&D in Lakeville, MA
    Former Employee - R&D in Lakeville, MA

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Lot of variety and decision making given. No shortage of work. Growing business and successful year on year as long as crop value is high.

Cons

Change underway. Lot of transitions. May have many new leaders or managers.

Maintain growth and yields. Protect assets and base businesses. Find and invest in true innovative products and markets and not just short term needs.

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Great work-life balance and very genuine friendly co-workers.

Cons

very heirarchical and old school. Promotions come on a time-table, not based on performance. Compensation is a bit low, despite being in Lakeville MA Ocean Spray should recognize that it still has to compete for talent from Boston where salaries are 10-15% higher for similar roles.

develop talent and push the organization to become faster. This is in progress, but could be stepped up. The senior leadership team is doing a great job but should spend more time communicating with employees, getting to know people. That's the best part about OS, the fact that people know one another and are interested in other's well-being. That sentiment doesn't pass between senior management and the rank and file though.

Ocean Spray Rocks!

I have been working at Ocean Spray

Pros

The people who work there are great. The salary and benefits are also very good. The overall company is employee orientated and a good place to work. Management has done a great job of improving the business. I love the setting of the building, right on a pond and cranberry bog, it is beautiful there. We have half day Friday's in the summer which really makes life more enjoyable.

Cons

I do hate the new dress code. Every morning I swear up and down, trying to figure out what the heck to wear, although I like that we can wear jeans on Friday. I think they could do better at promoting flex hours, only a few people actually get to use that benefit, even though they say it exists.

Your doing a great job overall, but try to improve on the flex time arrangement. Also I think the dress code could be relaxed a little, even though it was just implementated, I HATE IT!