www.oceanspray.com

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
3.3

Randy C. Papadellis

So many opportunities to grow and develop your career

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are hard working and ambitious Ocean Spray is a great place to work. There are so many opportunities for you to get visibility for the work you do. Most managers are proud to let their teams present their work to senior management. If you are smart and have a strong work ethic the possibilities are endless.

Cons

The company is going a lot of growth and there are some who can't keep up with the changes.

Continue to bring in new talent to infuse the organization with innovation, energy and new ideas.

A friendly workplace requires to adapt the ever-changing environment

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment; good benefits; friendly colleagues; a sense of doing something positive for the society

Cons

People are slow to adapt changes; 4:30pm logoff for an international company it seems ridiculous to me, and they will not check emails at night when there's something urgent happening on the other side of the world;

Bring in more people with different culture background, need to drive down the average age of workforce, it is 21st century already and many people inside the company cannot or have a hard time to adapt to the high-tech society.

I learned so much during my time there. Low stress comparatively to other manufacturing environments.

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Amazing culture and willingness to teach from other employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons to contribute

In a bad place

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- There are a some really great people at Ocean Spray. They are people that you feel oddly indebted to and that you learn a lot from. They are positive and they truly believe in the company.
    - It is an good opportunity to work for a co-op.
    - If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. The workforce is small, if you are one of the employees who does their job and does it well you will learn a ton and you will be prepared to succeed anywhere.

Cons

- Salary is low with virtually no way to get promoted. Many people make below the salary range. Many old employees make above the salary range because they have been on the job forever.
    - Career growth opportunities are few and far between. It is a very flat organization.
    - Senior Leadership makes all of the decisions and you must follow.
    - Morale is incredibly low. Workload continues to increase. Employees play the blame game - you hear - "that is not my job" often. The culture is toxic.
    - No work-life balance. You will work nights, weekends, and during your vacation, it is expected.
    - The IT systems/technology is from the 80's. Employees do not have the right tools to do their jobs.
    - The bonus structure is so broken I'm not sure it can be fixed. Senior Leadership is on a program that is completely disconnected from the "little people". They have no skin in the game and they will do whatever it takes to make their bonus with no concern about who else makes bonus.
    - The company is oddly committed to its older employees, many of whom should no longer be in the workforce due to not being able to keep up with changes and technology.

Change.

Henderson plant needs change in management

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Henderson, NV

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Product is the highest quality. Peers are wonderful to work with excellent team skills

Cons

Management is lacking in skill sets. Have limit knowledge on how to manage a professional work force. Treat employees in very poor fashion. Basically every day yelling events with no help with solution solving. Will fire their entire work force if employees do not agree with everything they order.

They need to get an eduction in people skills. Being bullies and thugs will not help the company come up to compete with current competitors.

So so

Former Employee - Blender in Bordentown, NJ
    Former Employee - Blender in Bordentown, NJ

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, overtime, lots of juice tasting, company provides necessary attire and tools/equipment, secure facility, benefits, decent teamwork

Cons

Empty promises, shoddy equipment, if something needs repalced or reapaired good luck! Rotating schedule, 12 hr shifts

None...they don't listen anyway

Overall Approve

Current Employee - Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance. They are very flexible with employees adapt to each persons situation.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and sometimes hard to get things done due to all the red tape involved. They are open to new ideas, but it takes a long time to get them to come around.

Develop the bench strength of the company. There are major gaps if key people leave. They look to promote within first, but sometimes that is not the best way as new people have new ideas.

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MA

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift where you've got the new guard against the old guard. Randy Papadellis recently stated (in a rather infamous corporate meeting) that if you are pushing for the greater good of the company, and you run into resistance, then it is your obligation to keep pushing (paraphrased). This statement is a testament to the transitional nature of the company; there is a conservativeness that stems from a deference to the grower at all costs (including sinking the company). Then, there are those of us that understand that we have to think in terms of long term viability for the growers, which means that the corporate side needs to invest in itself and get out from under the day-to-day reprioritization. Ocean Spray competes in a global economy with all snack and beverage consumption occasions (not just cranberry juice or dried fruit consumption occasions); Not everyone gets this, and herein lies the challenge. The requirement, and biggest opportunity for anyone just coming in to the company, is that we must aggressively grow and innovate at all levels, and there are good leaders that understand this.

A rather unique attribute of the personality of this company is that it is brutally honest with itself. It is no secret that the oversupply of cranberries is stressing the entire industry. I've been in two meetings in the past year where there has been refreshing and honest reflection. An outcome of these meetings is a culture of openness where we we have a mandate to push the company in positive directions. As a young employee, this creates not only interesting and exciting challenges, but also a feeling of loyalty and obligation to innovate at all levels of the company in order to drive positive growth.

If you're the type of person that enjoys an opportunity to influence big business decisions at the highest level, no matter your position, then Ocean Spray can provide that opportunity if you have the right personality and expertise. There is a deep trust of its employees to make good decisions that, in the appropriate hands, can be used for the greater good.

This is a battle for the future of the company; within 1-2 years we'll know if the innovators have won. So far we've got the edge.

Cons

Ocean Spray is competitive salary wise, but it is no joke that salaries do not go as far in the Greater Boston area as they might in a suburban mid-west location.

As other reviewers have noted, Ocean Spray is slow to promote, which is frustrating.

HR is out of touch with the needs of the employees and the greater business climate. The way they operate is a big part of what makes this company seem so conservative and old, especially to new employees.

IT is stuck in the 80s. We constantly fight against outdated technology (or no technology).

Continue to award, in a very public manner, those who innovate and are part of pushing the company to the next level.

Restructure the way you do promotions, where business climate has no influence on whether or not someone gets a promotion. The delays are like a wet blanket and send the wrong message to those that you are depending on, as well as on those around them who wonder what is going on.

You know what you have to do; (continue to) lead with your heart, not fear.

A great company of dedicated people who really pull together to get the job done on time and on cost.

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

The people, the culture of getting it done together, the way they make everything work. What a beautiful work environment, nothing like it I have ever seen. They are really an amazing group, and a nice and very effective group of dedicated professionals.

Feel very very luck if you have the opportunity to work at Ocean Spray. Certain areas have excellent engagement throughout their departments, and outstanding performance and morale - others less so, although they are working on this aspect of the organizational structure. Major focus on diversity throughout the company, work life balance and communication.

You can make a difference at Ocean Spray, but you will have to be loaded with energy, positive behavior, and dedication to make the team win together. They do not accept finger pointing or negative attacks, but rather expect to learn and improve - they retain a large number of employees for decades. They demand a can do and get it done attitude across the board.

A brand name you can be very proud of, built by grower owners, and hard working professionals with a great deal of pride.

Cons

A tough business model considering the ever present demands of being a cooperative - promising a profit level to grower owners and having to meet the profit marks, in spite of marketplace changes in sales, materials, energy, etc.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is good and the vacation benefits are really good. Personal growth in the company seems to be on the rise. I have felt that I would never get the chance to advance with the company until of late. In the last 6 months they have really grown in this area.

Cons

I feel that communication has some room for improvement. I feel like some times things are kept from us until last minute and then everyone is up in arms.

Listen to your employees.