Ocean Spray Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
49 reviews filtered by
3.3
Randy C. Papadellis

A wonderful place to build your career

I have been working at Ocean Spray

Pros

Ocean Spray offers a warm and collaborative working environment where employees feel valued every day. It is a lean organization so there is a lot of visibility for the work you do. This is not the type of company where you can come and punch a clock, they have VERY high expectations of their employees.

Cons

I wish Ocean Spray offered more vacation time. 3 weeks of vacation for a seasoned employee does not compete with other CPG companies.

More vacation time for Manager level and above.

Friendly team environment with a welcoming corporate culture.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Ocean Spray as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Ocean Spray has been very positive. I was recruited as a contractor and was fortunate enough to join a fun and innovative team that was always open to new ideas; this helped keep the job fresh and exciting. The management was excellent and I always felt that my ideas were valid and worth pursuing. As a result I worked that much harder to ensure the position was successful.

In my short time here I was involved in several extra-curricular activities both in and outside of the workplace. This solidified the type of team building and corporate culture that seemed to resonate through our department.

Cons

I knew going in that it would take some time for my contract position to go permanent. It ended up taking a little longer than anticipated and during that time I was recruited by another company. I had no intentions of leaving Ocean Spray, but could not give up a full-time opportunity for a contract position.

Keep on doing what you're doing! ;)

3. Burn and Churn; Length of Service means Nothing!

Former Employee - Blender in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Blender in Henderson, NV

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prior to 2010, I couldn't say enough positive things about this company. I was appreciated, challenged and an honest day's work meant an honest day's wages. The culture was evolving in the right direction. Despite a revolving door at the mid management level in Henderson, the Leadership generally had "everyone's" best interest and not just their own at heart.

Cons

A sudden shift in management at the Henderson Facility brought in cronies from a closing sister plant in Bordentown. Much of the established talent were blatantly ignored for promotion then forced to train inexperienced and largely inept individuals to do what was once their job title. Methodically, one by one they were all let go once the Bordentown cronies of the then interim Plant Manager, who was coincidentally, from Bordentown, as well, appeared to be leading their new departments. A lot of collateral damage in the way of character assassination, plummeting employee morale ..... you name it. Henderson was in turmoil. I witnessed the demise of once well respected contributors fall prey to the good ol' boy political machine. Eventually, I joined the ranks of those who couldn't bring themselves to brown nose their way back into favor. The current leadership is scrambling to re-invent themselves. They can't walk the talk.

You can't win the Indianapolis 500 in a Volkswagen Beetle.

5. It was great at one time

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Challenging work environment.

Cons

A very political environment where your ability to make your direct boss promotable is far more important than your skills and abilities. Lot of turnover in management is always a sign of an issue and OSC has its share.

Get rid of the Nabisco group. It took Nabisco 10 years to fix their damage.

Technology

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Friendly union along with plant coworkers

Cons

Upper management lacks people tack and direction

Support Staff

Current Employee - Support Staff in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At this point in time the companies only pro is their Benefits package.

Cons

No work life balance. The management turns over ever 2 to 3 years and the culture has become to cause trouble for your fellow employee in order to look good. Current management does not even qualify for the positions they hold. Safety is not a concern do to job stress causing a death of employee.

Corporate really needs to get into their plants and really see what is going on, not just being lead to where management wants them to see.

8. So many opportunities to grow and develop your career

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are hard working and ambitious Ocean Spray is a great place to work. There are so many opportunities for you to get visibility for the work you do. Most managers are proud to let their teams present their work to senior management. If you are smart and have a strong work ethic the possibilities are endless.

Cons

The company is going a lot of growth and there are some who can't keep up with the changes.

Continue to bring in new talent to infuse the organization with innovation, energy and new ideas.

9. A friendly workplace requires to adapt the ever-changing environment

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment; good benefits; friendly colleagues; a sense of doing something positive for the society

Cons

People are slow to adapt changes; 4:30pm logoff for an international company it seems ridiculous to me, and they will not check emails at night when there's something urgent happening on the other side of the world;

Bring in more people with different culture background, need to drive down the average age of workforce, it is 21st century already and many people inside the company cannot or have a hard time to adapt to the high-tech society.

10. I learned so much during my time there. Low stress comparatively to other manufacturing environments.

I worked at Ocean Spray

Pros

Amazing culture and willingness to teach from other employees.

Cons

I do not have any cons to contribute

In a bad place

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- There are a some really great people at Ocean Spray. They are people that you feel oddly indebted to and that you learn a lot from. They are positive and they truly believe in the company.
    - It is an good opportunity to work for a co-op.
    - If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. The workforce is small, if you are one of the employees who does their job and does it well you will learn a ton and you will be prepared to succeed anywhere.

Cons

- Salary is low with virtually no way to get promoted. Many people make below the salary range. Many old employees make above the salary range because they have been on the job forever.
    - Career growth opportunities are few and far between. It is a very flat organization.
    - Senior Leadership makes all of the decisions and you must follow.
    - Morale is incredibly low. Workload continues to increase. Employees play the blame game - you hear - "that is not my job" often. The culture is toxic.
    - No work-life balance. You will work nights, weekends, and during your vacation, it is expected.
    - The IT systems/technology is from the 80's. Employees do not have the right tools to do their jobs.
    - The bonus structure is so broken I'm not sure it can be fixed. Senior Leadership is on a program that is completely disconnected from the "little people". They have no skin in the game and they will do whatever it takes to make their bonus with no concern about who else makes bonus.
    - The company is oddly committed to its older employees, many of whom should no longer be in the workforce due to not being able to keep up with changes and technology.

Change.