Ocean Spray

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Randy C. Papadellis

Overall Approve

Manager (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsGood Benefits and work life balance. They are very flexible with employees adapt to each persons situation.

ConsVery bureaucratic and sometimes hard to get things done due to all the red tape involved. They are open to new ideas, but it takes a long time to get them to come around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop the bench strength of the company. There are major gaps if key people leave. They look to promote within first, but sometimes that is not the best way as new people have new ideas.

Ocean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lakeville, MA

ProsOcean Spray is in the middle of a business and cultural shift where you've got the new guard against the old guard. Randy Papadellis recently stated (in a rather infamous corporate meeting) that if you are pushing for the greater good of the company, and you run into resistance, then it is your obligation to keep pushing (paraphrased). This statement is a testament to the transitional nature of the company; there is a conservativeness that stems from a deference to the grower at all costs (including sinking the company). Then, there are those of us that understand that we have to think in terms of long term viability for the growers, which means that the corporate side needs to invest in itself and get out from under the day-to-day reprioritization. Ocean Spray competes in a global economy with all snack and beverage consumption occasions (not just cranberry juice or dried fruit consumption occasions); Not everyone gets this, and herein lies the challenge. The requirement, and biggest opportunity for anyone just coming in to the company, is that we must aggressively grow and innovate at all levels, and there are good leaders that understand this.

A rather unique attribute of the personality of this company is that it is brutally honest with itself. It is no secret that the oversupply of cranberries is stressing the entire industry. I've been in two meetings in the past year where there has been refreshing and honest reflection. An outcome of these meetings is a culture of openness where we we have a mandate to push the company in positive directions. As a young employee, this creates not only interesting and exciting challenges, but also a feeling of loyalty and obligation to innovate at all levels of the company in order to drive positive growth.

If you're the type of person that enjoys an opportunity to influence big business decisions at the highest level, no matter your position, then Ocean Spray can provide that opportunity if you have the right personality and expertise. There is a deep trust of its employees to make good decisions that, in the appropriate hands, can be used for the greater good.

This is a battle for the future of the company; within 1-2 years we'll know if the innovators have won. So far we've got the edge.

ConsOcean Spray is competitive salary wise, but it is no joke that salaries do not go as far in the Greater Boston area as they might in a suburban mid-west location.

As other reviewers have noted, Ocean Spray is slow to promote, which is frustrating.

HR is out of touch with the needs of the employees and the greater business climate. The way they operate is a big part of what makes this company seem so conservative and old, especially to new employees.

IT is stuck in the 80s. We constantly fight against outdated technology (or no technology).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to award, in a very public manner, those who innovate and are part of pushing the company to the next level.

Restructure the way you do promotions, where business climate has no influence on whether or not someone gets a promotion. The delays are like a wet blanket and send the wrong message to those that you are depending on, as well as on those around them who wonder what is going on.

You know what you have to do; (continue to) lead with your heart, not fear.

A great company of dedicated people who really pull together to get the job done on time and on cost.

(Former Employee)

ProsThe people, the culture of getting it done together, the way they make everything work. What a beautiful work environment, nothing like it I have ever seen. They are really an amazing group, and a nice and very effective group of dedicated professionals.

Feel very very luck if you have the opportunity to work at Ocean Spray. Certain areas have excellent engagement throughout their departments, and outstanding performance and morale - others less so, although they are working on this aspect of the organizational structure. Major focus on diversity throughout the company, work life balance and communication.

You can make a difference at Ocean Spray, but you will have to be loaded with energy, positive behavior, and dedication to make the team win together. They do not accept finger pointing or negative attacks, but rather expect to learn and improve - they retain a large number of employees for decades. They demand a can do and get it done attitude across the board.

A brand name you can be very proud of, built by grower owners, and hard working professionals with a great deal of pride.

ConsA tough business model considering the ever present demands of being a cooperative - promising a profit level to grower owners and having to meet the profit marks, in spite of marketplace changes in sales, materials, energy, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ocean Spray

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tomah, WI

ProsThe compensation is good and the vacation benefits are really good. Personal growth in the company seems to be on the rise. I have felt that I would never get the chance to advance with the company until of late. In the last 6 months they have really grown in this area.

ConsI feel that communication has some room for improvement. I feel like some times things are kept from us until last minute and then everyone is up in arms.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Conservative Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossome good people who want to do a great job

Conssilo'd departments, tactical (poor) middle management, task-oriented risk adverse workers, upper management who are sub-par in leading and make decisions based on opinion, not fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out Sr Mgrs and Directors who can not develop organizations or lead people. Encourage (reward) workers for taking risks to improve the business. Accept failure a part of business and highlight it to learn from mistakes. Drive to single ownership of teams for clear accountability.

Tough times ahead.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lakeville, MA

ProsBenefits are good. For the most part, employees are hard working and want the company to succeed. Pay and bonus structure is good.

ConsTime for a change in management. Doing the same thing over and over is not a recipe for success. Senior leadership needs to be held responsible for recent failures. Time to right the ship before the water gets too deep. How about Innovation? Has a long and sordid rate of failure for almost all new products in the last five years. Failure after failure. How long can that really continue without serious repercussions?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. Most are dedicated and want to do a good job. Put your egos aside as they are truly hurting the ability of the company to get out of this rut.

Recommend Staying away from Sales and Marketing Departments

Sales/Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThere are many great people in the middle management levels of the organization that are very caring and supportive, and just generally great to work with. Ocean Spray has a great brand. They will be a good company and employer again at some point.

ConsPay is OK depending on the level and salary you are hired in at - their overall compensation philosophy seems to be to pay as little as possible for a given job. They have salary ranges for each position, but many are paid below the bottom of the band. I wouldn't recommend this as a place for a young person to develop. There isn't much of a developmental culture here and people generally sit in jobs for a long time which makes career progression somewhat difficult. Not a bad place for someone later in their career though.

Work life balance is OK. There is some flexibility which is nice, but lots of evening and weekend work. It is not uncommon to get a short lead time request on a Saturday or Sunday.

Upper management and the culture they have created is the real problem here, and the reason I would recommend staying away until the C-level managers turn over. There is a culture of frequent verbal abuse and all decisions must go through Top management. Employees are not empowered to make decisions and must frequently placate upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm honestly not sure if the upper management can course-correct at this point given the amount of damage done to the culture and work environment. Very few employees have any faith in management or the direction of the company.

Down, but not out.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsOffice environment relies heavily on department or field location, but there are good people in this company who make working at Ocean Spray a positive experience, in terms of day-to-day interactions with peers/co-workers.

ConsThe overall mood in the company is currently very poor. There is a severe rift between senior management and the rest of the company. Disagreement in ideas is met with screaming and yelling, literally. This is causing good people to leave and many more to openly discuss their own options to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect or risk losing more.

Heavily biased against women in terms of ideas and does not promote women from within; barely has any women in Sales

Business Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRelatively small company so can be flexible

ConsNot family oriented towards employees; may be why there are very few women in Sales. Job requirements for travel, hours on conference calls, meetings etc. go way beyond typical working hours. Since there's an overwhelming majority of white males on the Sales division, women's opinions and concerns are drowned out. Also allows political and religious views to come into play in meetings and conference calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a genuine effort to hire a diverse workforce, particularly in Sales so that a free flow of creative ideas come forth, instead of the typical ideas that come from a homogeneous workforce and management team.

Company has lost focus and everything is spin Be carful if you are considering working here

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay - but it needs to be to keep professional people

ConsVery disrespectful Sr. Management
    Lots of planning that's ignored - waste of time
    Real strategies are a day at a time - you can't plan anything
    Very poor decisions on company acquisitions and facility build outs
    Ego Centric Environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBoard of Directors should look past the spin they are feed

Worked for Ocean Spray? Contribute to the Community!