Ocean State Job Lot

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marc Perlman

Pros
  • Paid health insurance (single) at associate level for full-timers(in 7 reviews)

• The employee discount was pretty good(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is constantly bombarded with "surprise" visits from everyone in the company(in 4 reviews)

• Sadly, Job Lot is no longer hiring to fill full time positions in their stores(in 6 reviews)

OK place to work

Department Head (Former Employee) Foxborough, MA

Prosgreat benefits, decent pay, good managers

Conshorrible owners
    hard to advance
    no training

A great place to work

ProsVery teamwork place to work

ConsI do not have any cons

Very, very busy.

Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) Falmouth, MA

ProsSet hours, good benefits, good store management.

ConsCustomers, never knowing what we had or what we were getting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is what it is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees on lower levels treated poorly, all communication was one sided

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsAssistant managers and Front end supervisors were effective in helping employees where management did not. Schedules were fairly steady which made organizing life events easier

ConsCommunication was one sided where management would not listen to employees. High employee turn over rate. This may have been an issue only happening in my store but there was no action taken by regional management in order to rectify the situation in our location.

Run, don't walk

Management (Current Employee)

ProsHealthcare is essentially paid for. Overall, employees are good to work with and are eager to please.

ConsManagement and supervisors are glorified hired hands. There is little to no Management functions that would utilize the talents of a good leader. The company simply spends their time trying to catch people doing something wrong and they offer little or no valuable training. Attendance system is unfair at best...not allowing PT associates to be excused for a legitimate reason, thereby earning "points" toward their eventual termination. Management is constantly bombarded with "surprise" visits from everyone in the company...all of whom have differing opinions on priority and execution, many times contradicting each other. Employee relations only function seems to be to berate management and stop unionization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of ridiculous point system and trust management team to make appropriate decisions like every other company in the country. Employee relations department needs to go. In your effort to stop uniinization, you have created an internal union where the employees are in charge. The company is essentially run by Employee Relations and Loss Prevention.....not ownership. Store employees and Management work extremely hard, and an atmosphere where you are afraid to do anything is what has been created. There is absolutely no time to develop people, policies and procedures in place are archaic and have not been utilized by other companies for decades for a reason.

Pretty good company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee) Rockland, ME

ProsPrivate company. Strong field support. Old fashion retail.

ConsPrivate company. At times looked down on hourly associates. A lot of reaction instead of proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTakes about a year to totally understand the company.

Working at Ocean State Job Lot is similar to working at Walmart in terms of low pay and anti-union propaganda

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the advantage of meeting some unique and supportive co-workers who unfortunately are stuck in a company that sucks their spirits dry.

ConsI began working for Ocean State Job Lot at minimum wage, which at the time was $7.75. It being one of my first jobs, I bit the bullet and found every opportunity I could to improve my pay rate. At each review I consistently met as well as exceeded the company's standards in terms of cashier productivity, customer service prowess, and overall knowledge of the store and its products. At the conclusion of my first year, I received my first raise after favorable reviews. I began making $7.91 an hour. Months later, minimum wage was raised in Rhode Island to $8.00, thus I began making $8.00. When I brought this injustice up to my store manager about my making merely what a starting employee would make after my having been there for over a year he simply stated, "But you're still making more than before." A few months later I asked my store manager if my pay could increase given my dedication to the company. He said he would try at the next review. At my year and a half review I was one of four employees in more store to get a raise. I reached $8.20 an hour. While I was grateful for this news, I was dismayed that 85% of my fellow co-workers would not be seeing a boost in their paychecks come the next week. Recently (May) I was approached by my manager with news on a Thursday night. He told me that in December of 2013 I was paid 8 hours more than I had worked. The company's mistake, our district manager alerted my store manager about their blunder from the prior fiscal year. In keeping with the company's longstanding goodness to its workers, the 8 hours were deducted from my paycheck the following day, a warm Friday in May. Amidst calling out for skus on unpriced priced items, not leaving a 2x2 ft space of register for all of December for hours at a time, and getting the shorthand of the stick time and time again by this company, I am glad to say that I am leaving Ocean State Job Lot. My heart goes out to my co-workers whose lives have one way or another landed them in a truly disorganized, unkempt, and dissatisfying working environment. As a college student with more sense of the world and my generation in particular, I can say with confidence that this company will most assuredly bottom out and be exposed for the lack of quality in merchandise as well as treatment of their employees.

In the words of Marc Perlman:
    "Our sales associates are a dime a dozen."

Well, Marc, this concludes my two cents,
    Save the extra 10, it's on me.
    :]

Advice to Senior ManagementBed, Bath, and Beyond seems like a better place to work.

Great!

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Somerset, MA

Pros10 years with a company should say something... Great place to work ,fun atmosphere, always room to grow, decent benefits for full timers, considering not many companies even offer benefits today in this economy. Good discounts and other employee incentives, good company to work for!

ConsDisagree with part time associates not receiving any vac/sick/pers time until after so many years with the company, which means they can't get sick or have any other personal issues arise because unfortunately with the point system, they could be out of a job before they know it....Point system they could definitely ease up on....employee of the month could be updated, with there being so many stores and so little employee recognition ....

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice to upper management ....keep up the good work, and continue passing on all the knowledgable information to help your team grow and become successful in their future with Osjl :)

Eh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood starting pay, good to start if youre in highschool looking for a few extra bucks, also usually good hours if youd like to work a lot

ConsConstantly nothing but nagging old people trying to save 8 cents on a can of tuna. Or you have really crappy managers that only watch their own butts and could care less about their employees.

Not a bad job while in school. Horrible if full time. Worse if you're a guy.

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Randolph, MA

Pros*Co-workers are usually fun (most co-workers), they get you through the day and will usually help when asked
    *Job isn't too hard as long as you play by the rules (lots of rules)
    *Managers are usually flexible about hours/schedule needs
    *Decent part-time gig
    *Had started as a cashier and was promoted, could get another promotion (if I don't get a job elsewhere)

Cons*Very low paying for the expectations, certainly not livable salary below management level
    *Lots of drama and gossiping in this particular location
    *If you're a guy, they will make you do all the heavy lifting no matter how busy you are. Guys are expected to work to the point of injury and then some. If there isn't a male manager on duty, then there is no help at all.
    *Corporate makes rules that end up getting good employees fired over simple mistakes/one-time occurrences
    *Extremely stressful during holidays for every FES (an FES may come to hate the sound of their own name being called)
    *Customers in this area treat you like dirt or worse (I've been compared to a nazi for following company policy and have been offered fights in the parking lot for not giving out inapplicable discounts)
    *Very high turnover rate
    *From Thanksgiving until Xmas Eve the store closes at 11pm instead of the usual 9pm, but there are hardly any customers and it is very hard to stay busy as the FES cannot leave the front of the store

Advice to Senior Management*Pay the people who deserve to be paid, that's how you keep good employees and keep them working! Stop screwing employees out of raises just to save cost
    *Hire more male associates to share the heavier work (you can't "team lift" without a team)
    *Ease up on the point/penalty system

Worked for Ocean State Job Lot? Contribute to the Community!