Ocean State Job Lot

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
2.3

Marc Perlman

Pros
  • Paid health insurance (single) at associate level for full-timers (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount was pretty good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sadly, Job Lot is no longer hiring to fill full time positions in their stores (in 7 reviews)

• Point system they could definitely ease up on (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

alright, not the greatest pay but easy going

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

good hours, no dress code,

Cons

wages not great, no discount

I used to love my job...

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Medway, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Medway, MA

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun co-workers
    Understanding management
    Good 20% employee discount
    Great opportunities to learn about yourself
    Growth opportunities

Cons

Poor corporate management
    Points system for attendance
    Pay raises are low
    Extremely high turnover

As a cashier, I loved coming into work. I overlooked all the injustices of the corporate side of the company, partly a) because I was unaware of how corrupt corporate is, and b) my interaction was mostly with in-store employees.

However, after being promoted to Front End Supervisor, I am increasingly aware of how poorly stores are managed company-wide by corporate. Their "surprise" visits help very little, if at all, and they judge employees by their 5-second interactions with us once in a blue moon. They micro-manage everything and rarely listen to the recommendations from store managers about employees (who would be more knowledgeable about them anyway because they see them almost every day). Communication is extremely one-sided, and new policy changes are rarely given concretely.

There is pretty much no point in having store policies since the Customer Service department pretty much overrules all of them every time.

District managers have clear biases for their favorite stores and openly show that.

Intolerable employees have openly admitted to lying their way out of being fired by home office and CORP does nothing about it.

I think this company is great at a store level. The store and assistant managers are very understanding and personable people, but their corporate structure sucks, in short, and really should be assessed.

Lastly, the points system really should be re-evaluated.

front end supervisor

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

interesting to see how employees react in an impossible role of satisfying management and customers

Cons

paid as low as possible. good employees get no benefit above the worst employees

care about your employees

Horrible Company to Work For

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Completely Unprofessional Atmosphere
    Employees Gossip
    Too MUCH Drama
    Overly-Involved Employees
    Lying Management
    Careless Employees

(On a personal note: I was told that a leave of absence for school didn't exist. So I asked to cut my hours back to the bare minimum. They agreed. However, after a few months of being school I was told I HAD to work more than 8 hours a week. Even though in the employee handbook it states 8 hours is all that is needed. I then mentioned that a leave of absence doesn't exist, and then I was told it does exist. They just didn't want to offer it to me. The store manager lied to me. They also don't understand what a 2 weeks notice means and continued to put me on the schedule)

Stop forcing meal waver
    Work on the "point" system (Does more harm than good)
    Invest in better stock/inventory

Ocean state

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative - Front End Supervisor in Milford, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ppl working there are great .Love & miss them!

Cons

You can't excel in this business part for everyone

Great ppl

Do not work here!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are perhaps the best part of working there. 20% discount as soon as you begin.

Cons

Only 20% of staff get full-time. Only ten minute breaks, as opposed to fifteen. Sick policy is silly... You can have a doctor's note and still get penalized. Might as well take FMLA or go on disability insurance if you're sick. There is a points system in place that does more harm than good. Management reneges a bit. They make you sign a meal waiver saying you can work through an unpaid break. They let the lazy get lazy, and put a lot on the capable workers.

Promote when you say you will and promote the right candidate. Reconsider at your sick policy.

Influential Regional Retailer

Former Employee - Field Support in North Kingston Beach, RI
    Former Employee - Field Support in North Kingston Beach, RI

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My experience was most influenced by an outstanding supervisor who was as much of a life coach as he was a supervisor. This company has a considerable amount of talented corporate management.

Cons

As in any retail organization, expect to work according to the needs of the business. Except for corporate, in-house positions, field and store positions require working some holidays, weekends and evenings.

Continue to streamline. Increase training at the store level and provide clear advancement opportunities and guideliines.

Loved working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun co-workers, pretty typical work, don't have to work too late

Cons

stressful at peak hours, sketchy customers, and long hours. Not really any perks or opportunities for advancement

Junk company just like the merchandise they sell!

Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Ballston Spa, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Ballston Spa, NY

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance is the only pro.

Cons

Too many to list.

Dirty/Unsanitary.
    Cheap China Merchandise.
    Unethical.
    Company raises money through their customers, and donates expiring, dirty warehouse food and takes it as their "claim to fame."
    Would rather pay people to watch cameras all day long (on their employees!) instead of spending that payroll in the stores to keep them clean/organized and presentable.
    "Employee Relations Managers," are more like traveling rodeo circus clowns than HR professionals. (actually there is nothing professional about OSJL.)

This company truly only cares about their bottom dollar. Employees are not treated with respect or valued in the least. This is one of the worst companies you could ever imagine and that wasn't clear to me until I left to join a Fortune 500 company which understands the value of high morale and trust, understands that better results are obtained by avoiding a micro-management style, avoiding paranoia, and understands that a few, simple policies are better than a gazillion small, reactant policies can ever be.

Let's face it, you sell junk. Your mark on this world will be miniscule, stop with the paranoia/hitler type management approach, stop with the crazy policies that come about because someone, somewhere, did something, which must mean EVERYBODY is doing it. C'mon guys, get a grip.

Stop wasting everybody's time with surveys that ask you if you filled out another survey. Stop wasting the stores time with phone calls because 20 e-mails came down in the past 10 minutes, and 15 of them need an URGENT response, when in all reality, you just want to make sure that we moved the latest cheap chinese goods to the front end-cap, when yesterday, you had us reset the end-cap with something else.

I could go on and on, but would rather forget my time spent on this waste of space company sooner than later.

Run away!!!!!! Beware workers and customers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers
    Good employee discount

I found my co-workers were my only reason to come into work. They were all very kind and everyone liked to help each other. The 20 percent discount was nice.

Cons

Point system
    Unorganized merchandise
    Unclean
    Poor customer service
    Bad management

This place constantly looks for a reason to get rid of people on a regular basis. I worked for this company for two years, and was a very hard, courteous worker. I was employed at the Bristol, Ct location. In february I was let go because of "points" however I had not gone over my allotment for the year. The management is unsympathetic to its workers and front end supervisors are treated like dogs. The store is constantly messy and is clearly understaffed. The products are cheap, and we had a lot of angry customers bc of that. I saw rotten produce on the shelf stay there for weeks. The food in general was disgusting and I personally pulled expired product from shelves frequently that my co-workers/managers missed. Most of the time our front end supervisors got flack for things that were not their fault, and had to deal with berating for customers with no help from management. Things were poorly labled and improperly priced, causing constant backups in the front end and a lot of lost business. Id advise no one to work for this company.

Get rid of the point system