Ocean State Job Lot

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.6

Marc Perlman

Pros
  • Paid health insurance (single) at associate level for full-timers (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount was pretty good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sadly, Job Lot is no longer hiring to fill full time positions in their stores (in 6 reviews)

• Point system they could definitely ease up on (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Influential Regional Retailer

Former Employee - Field Support in North Kingston Beach, RI
    Former Employee - Field Support in North Kingston Beach, RI

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My experience was most influenced by an outstanding supervisor who was as much of a life coach as he was a supervisor. This company has a considerable amount of talented corporate management.

Cons

As in any retail organization, expect to work according to the needs of the business. Except for corporate, in-house positions, field and store positions require working some holidays, weekends and evenings.

Continue to streamline. Increase training at the store level and provide clear advancement opportunities and guideliines.

Loved working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun co-workers, pretty typical work, don't have to work too late

Cons

stressful at peak hours, sketchy customers, and long hours. Not really any perks or opportunities for advancement

Junk company just like the merchandise they sell!

Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Ballston Spa, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Ballston Spa, NY

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance is the only pro.

Cons

Too many to list.

Dirty/Unsanitary.
    Cheap China Merchandise.
    Unethical.
    Company raises money through their customers, and donates expiring, dirty warehouse food and takes it as their "claim to fame."
    Would rather pay people to watch cameras all day long (on their employees!) instead of spending that payroll in the stores to keep them clean/organized and presentable.
    "Employee Relations Managers," are more like traveling rodeo circus clowns than HR professionals. (actually there is nothing professional about OSJL.)

This company truly only cares about their bottom dollar. Employees are not treated with respect or valued in the least. This is one of the worst companies you could ever imagine and that wasn't clear to me until I left to join a Fortune 500 company which understands the value of high morale and trust, understands that better results are obtained by avoiding a micro-management style, avoiding paranoia, and understands that a few, simple policies are better than a gazillion small, reactant policies can ever be.

Let's face it, you sell junk. Your mark on this world will be miniscule, stop with the paranoia/hitler type management approach, stop with the crazy policies that come about because someone, somewhere, did something, which must mean EVERYBODY is doing it. C'mon guys, get a grip.

Stop wasting everybody's time with surveys that ask you if you filled out another survey. Stop wasting the stores time with phone calls because 20 e-mails came down in the past 10 minutes, and 15 of them need an URGENT response, when in all reality, you just want to make sure that we moved the latest cheap chinese goods to the front end-cap, when yesterday, you had us reset the end-cap with something else.

I could go on and on, but would rather forget my time spent on this waste of space company sooner than later.

Run away!!!!!! Beware workers and customers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers
    Good employee discount

I found my co-workers were my only reason to come into work. They were all very kind and everyone liked to help each other. The 20 percent discount was nice.

Cons

Point system
    Unorganized merchandise
    Unclean
    Poor customer service
    Bad management

This place constantly looks for a reason to get rid of people on a regular basis. I worked for this company for two years, and was a very hard, courteous worker. I was employed at the Bristol, Ct location. In february I was let go because of "points" however I had not gone over my allotment for the year. The management is unsympathetic to its workers and front end supervisors are treated like dogs. The store is constantly messy and is clearly understaffed. The products are cheap, and we had a lot of angry customers bc of that. I saw rotten produce on the shelf stay there for weeks. The food in general was disgusting and I personally pulled expired product from shelves frequently that my co-workers/managers missed. Most of the time our front end supervisors got flack for things that were not their fault, and had to deal with berating for customers with no help from management. Things were poorly labled and improperly priced, causing constant backups in the front end and a lot of lost business. Id advise no one to work for this company.

Get rid of the point system

OK place to work

Former Employee - Department Head in Foxborough, MA
    Former Employee - Department Head in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, decent pay, good managers

Cons

horrible owners
    hard to advance
    no training

A great place to work

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

Very teamwork place to work

Cons

I do not have any cons

Very, very busy.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Falmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Falmouth, MA

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Set hours, good benefits, good store management.

Cons

Customers, never knowing what we had or what we were getting.

It is what it is.

Employees on lower levels treated poorly, all communication was one sided

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Assistant managers and Front end supervisors were effective in helping employees where management did not. Schedules were fairly steady which made organizing life events easier

Cons

Communication was one sided where management would not listen to employees. High employee turn over rate. This may have been an issue only happening in my store but there was no action taken by regional management in order to rectify the situation in our location.

Run, don't walk

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare is essentially paid for. Overall, employees are good to work with and are eager to please.

Cons

Management and supervisors are glorified hired hands. There is little to no Management functions that would utilize the talents of a good leader. The company simply spends their time trying to catch people doing something wrong and they offer little or no valuable training. Attendance system is unfair at best...not allowing PT associates to be excused for a legitimate reason, thereby earning "points" toward their eventual termination. Management is constantly bombarded with "surprise" visits from everyone in the company...all of whom have differing opinions on priority and execution, many times contradicting each other. Employee relations only function seems to be to berate management and stop unionization.

Get rid of ridiculous point system and trust management team to make appropriate decisions like every other company in the country. Employee relations department needs to go. In your effort to stop uniinization, you have created an internal union where the employees are in charge. The company is essentially run by Employee Relations and Loss Prevention.....not ownership. Store employees and Management work extremely hard, and an atmosphere where you are afraid to do anything is what has been created. There is absolutely no time to develop people, policies and procedures in place are archaic and have not been utilized by other companies for decades for a reason.

Working at Ocean State Job Lot is similar to working at Walmart in terms of low pay and anti-union propaganda

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the advantage of meeting some unique and supportive co-workers who unfortunately are stuck in a company that sucks their spirits dry.

Cons

I began working for Ocean State Job Lot at minimum wage, which at the time was $7.75. It being one of my first jobs, I bit the bullet and found every opportunity I could to improve my pay rate. At each review I consistently met as well as exceeded the company's standards in terms of cashier productivity, customer service prowess, and overall knowledge of the store and its products. At the conclusion of my first year, I received my first raise after favorable reviews. I began making $7.91 an hour. Months later, minimum wage was raised in Rhode Island to $8.00, thus I began making $8.00. When I brought this injustice up to my store manager about my making merely what a starting employee would make after my having been there for over a year he simply stated, "But you're still making more than before." A few months later I asked my store manager if my pay could increase given my dedication to the company. He said he would try at the next review. At my year and a half review I was one of four employees in more store to get a raise. I reached $8.20 an hour. While I was grateful for this news, I was dismayed that 85% of my fellow co-workers would not be seeing a boost in their paychecks come the next week. Recently (May) I was approached by my manager with news on a Thursday night. He told me that in December of 2013 I was paid 8 hours more than I had worked. The company's mistake, our district manager alerted my store manager about their blunder from the prior fiscal year. In keeping with the company's longstanding goodness to its workers, the 8 hours were deducted from my paycheck the following day, a warm Friday in May. Amidst calling out for skus on unpriced priced items, not leaving a 2x2 ft space of register for all of December for hours at a time, and getting the shorthand of the stick time and time again by this company, I am glad to say that I am leaving Ocean State Job Lot. My heart goes out to my co-workers whose lives have one way or another landed them in a truly disorganized, unkempt, and dissatisfying working environment. As a college student with more sense of the world and my generation in particular, I can say with confidence that this company will most assuredly bottom out and be exposed for the lack of quality in merchandise as well as treatment of their employees.

In the words of Marc Perlman:
    "Our sales associates are a dime a dozen."

Well, Marc, this concludes my two cents,
    Save the extra 10, it's on me.
    :]

Bed, Bath, and Beyond seems like a better place to work.