Ocean State Job Lot Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
67 reviews filtered by
2.4
Marc Perlman

Pros
  • Paid health insurance (single) at associate level for full-timers (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount was pretty good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sadly, Job Lot is no longer hiring to fill full time positions in their stores (in 7 reviews)

• Point system they could definitely ease up on (in 7 reviews)

1. recever

Current Employee - Recever in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Recever in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with freinds and pays not bad

Cons

the points could get you fired

2. Friendly coworkers made the days/nights go by. Other than that, it's a crap job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

The 20% Employee discount
    and Friendly coworkers

Cons

-the point system
    -the way 10 minute breaks work
    -asking for donations
    -the poor job training
    -the computers used for cashiering are slow..updating is needed

Work on the point system..it's used to weed people out. Simply not fair. It's not normal to treat employees like they are in middle school.

3. Great co-workers, easy place to work, but not appreciative of hard workers.

Former Employee - Cashier in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the management is really nice, and doesn't act like they're better than you.
    There aren't a ton of employees so all the co-workers get along really well and have fun working together. Many people become friends outside of work.
    It's an easy job. Not as face paced as other stores, and it's easy to put out freight because almost everything stays in the box, you just cut it open to display the products.
    There are opportunities to move up in the store relatively quickly.
    Managers don't micromanage. As long as you get your work done it's pretty much up to you how you do it.

Cons

Not a lot of full time positions in each store.
    Hard working employees are not always appreciated. People who are actually amazing employees get written up at the drop of a hat. People who have been there for years are laid off or fired.
    Seniority doesn't mean much. More experienced workers get stuck on registers while new employees go on the floor with little to no training.
    Cash registers go down all the time, or freeze, or make you sign in a million times before you can be assigned a till in the morning.
    Can't work more than 28 hours unless you're full time.
    Managers play favorites.
    Can get very boring when the store is slow.

Be more appreciative of the people who work the hardest and be more aware of the people who are slacking off. Learn how to understand your individual employees' needs. A good manager gets to know their employees and understands that they respond differently to different management methods.

5. Growing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

- The People
    - My commute
    - Job safety - They don't fire people unless they are stealing, doesn't matter if they do their job or not
    - Family Oriented
    This company is very tight knit, with an emphasis on family. Which is a good and bad thing. The family atmosphere gives to a more relaxed work environment, however, it lacks professionalism. I've been witness to owners degrading, cursing, and humiliating employee in front of others.

Cons

- No career advancement (many family members or friends will be put in positions they are not qualified for just because of who they are)
    - LOW LOW pay (not even the median salary, in the 6th percentile)
    - Treats employees as middle schoolers with their corporate policies (Attendance & Punctuality)
    - Policies are created reactively and therefore many times don't make sense
    - No long term planning or vision for the company
    - policies are created and not communicated to the employees until after a rule has been broken
    - Annual reviews are meaningless, your review will be great but the raise will not reflect your review
    - favoritism of employees
    - handling of storms or natural disasters. Many times communication is sent out late or not at all. Employees are not allowed to use sick time for storms and sometimes could still be written up for coming in late

- Address all the cons
    - Start to act like a medium/large company. You're not 5 stores anymore.
    - The company culture needs to be addressed, in the future you will have a difficult time recruiting good talent with out moving into the new generation of company cultures. Option to work from home, flex schedules, better pay, perks other than health care, 401k matching
    - Hire some qualified executives to run your company. The owners are GREAT entrepreneurs but not great at running a company this larger. Please spend some time evaluating where the company should go and how to get there.

6. alright, not the greatest pay but easy going

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

good hours, no dress code,

Cons

wages not great, no discount

7. front end supervisor

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

interesting to see how employees react in an impossible role of satisfying management and customers

Cons

paid as low as possible. good employees get no benefit above the worst employees

care about your employees

8. I used to love my job...

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Medway, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Medway, MA

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers
    Understanding management
    Good 20% employee discount
    Great opportunities to learn about yourself
    Growth opportunities

Cons

Poor corporate management
    Points system for attendance
    Pay raises are low
    Extremely high turnover

As a cashier, I loved coming into work. I overlooked all the injustices of the corporate side of the company, partly a) because I was unaware of how corrupt corporate is, and b) my interaction was mostly with in-store employees.

However, after being promoted to Front End Supervisor, I am increasingly aware of how poorly stores are managed company-wide by corporate. Their "surprise" visits help very little, if at all, and they judge employees by their 5-second interactions with us once in a blue moon. They micro-manage everything and rarely listen to the recommendations from store managers about employees (who would be more knowledgeable about them anyway because they see them almost every day). Communication is extremely one-sided, and new policy changes are rarely given concretely.

There is pretty much no point in having store policies since the Customer Service department pretty much overrules all of them every time.

District managers have clear biases for their favorite stores and openly show that.

Intolerable employees have openly admitted to lying their way out of being fired by home office and CORP does nothing about it.

I think this company is great at a store level. The store and assistant managers are very understanding and personable people, but their corporate structure sucks, in short, and really should be assessed.

Lastly, the points system really should be re-evaluated.

9. Horrible Company to Work For

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Completely Unprofessional Atmosphere
    Employees Gossip
    Too MUCH Drama
    Overly-Involved Employees
    Lying Management
    Careless Employees

(On a personal note: I was told that a leave of absence for school didn't exist. So I asked to cut my hours back to the bare minimum. They agreed. However, after a few months of being school I was told I HAD to work more than 8 hours a week. Even though in the employee handbook it states 8 hours is all that is needed. I then mentioned that a leave of absence doesn't exist, and then I was told it does exist. They just didn't want to offer it to me. The store manager lied to me. They also don't understand what a 2 weeks notice means and continued to put me on the schedule)

Stop forcing meal waver
    Work on the "point" system (Does more harm than good)
    Invest in better stock/inventory

10. Ocean state

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative - Front End Supervisor in Milford, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ppl working there are great .Love & miss them!

Cons

You can't excel in this business part for everyone

Great ppl

11. Do not work here!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are perhaps the best part of working there. 20% discount as soon as you begin.

Cons

Only 20% of staff get full-time. Only ten minute breaks, as opposed to fifteen. Sick policy is silly... You can have a doctor's note and still get penalized. Might as well take FMLA or go on disability insurance if you're sick. There is a points system in place that does more harm than good. Management reneges a bit. They make you sign a meal waiver saying you can work through an unpaid break. They let the lazy get lazy, and put a lot on the capable workers.

Promote when you say you will and promote the right candidate. Reconsider at your sick policy.