Ocean State Job Lot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Marc Perlman

Pros
  • Health Insurance is the only pro (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount was pretty good (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't tell you about the point system til after you've started working there (in 7 reviews)

• Not worth your time as a full time job at all (in 7 reviews)

1. good people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly atmosphere customer friendly place

Cons

hours not enough money is tight

Advice to Management

keep on keepin' on

Good Employees, Power-Mad Management

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in East Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in East Haven, CT

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice cashiers, supervisors, sales consultants, maintenance, etc. Set schedule most of the time, easy to learn job tasks. Good parking? Not much more to say.

Cons

Not enough pay, not enough scheduled employees per shift, micro-managing, power hungry management. Very distinct separation between "regular" employees and management. Yelled at for being sick and calling out, deliberately making you feel guilty for it. Too much expected of just one person, often I had to carry out the responsibilities of every employee type myself, as a supervisor. No flexibility in the way things are done, at all.

Advice to Management

Find a way to stop making employees scared of management, but rather feel comfortable coming to them with problems. Managers with people skills are desperately needed. I spoke to my GM once when hired, and then one more time when he said I would be fired if I kept getting sick every couple months. He didn't even say goodbye. Recognize your employees more often, and correctly. One girl who constantly was late and called out got employee of the month 3 months in a row. I worked myself to the bone every day I was there and was only recognized when I made a mistake once.

decent enough as a starting job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time

Pros

being payed every week is nice starting pay is 25 cents more than minimum wage 20% employee discount it's fairly easy to change positions of same level (moved from cashier to stockroom clerk in a week) Every store has at least 1 awesome manager (straight from the words of the Asset Protection Specialist)

Cons

Any rewards to the employees are basically designed for the company to make money. (i.e. the stores in my area had a contest for which OSJL store could make the most $ during black friday. The prize for winning was a surprise. Turns out after working 8 hours straight with nonstop customers at the registers, the reward we won was a 30% off employee shopping day -_- 32-point system is designed for you to fail. Basically, anything you do wrong will earn you points. If you get 32 points, your fired. Being late-2 points Calling out- 6 or 7 points No call No show- 15 points Don't have vest- 5 points If your register comes up $5 short or extra- 5 points Considering about 40% of the employees where I work take the bus, it's nearly impossible not to accumulate points for being late during the winter. It becomes a problem when almost everyone in the stockroom takes the bus. Don't expect to work here longer than 18 months

Advice to Management

Get rid of the point system. Its too unrealistic for the good workers who take public transportation to stay here.

Supervisor

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great team members and management staff

Cons

Point situation needs to be re looked, as a person with elderly parents who have been quite ill my thinking has to be work or parents and its been very hard to concentrate on my job when elderly parents are not well and I'm having to be needed by them .

Advice to Management

Please Mr Perlman think of the employee's with elderly parents.

6. Cashier

Pros

Great place to work, great atmosphere and very friendly staff.

Cons

Often times scheduled to work very weird hours, and also had to be ready to work at the drop of a hat at time if others called out. That's the retail game, though.

7. sales associate

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time

Pros

fast pace, never a down time in work load, fun to see returning customers

Cons

negatively reinforces work done, everyone out to stab each other in the back

Advice to Management

get a better control of the employees, don't let them run the store

8. THEY DONT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Valatie, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Valatie, NY

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, great employees to talk to , good job to do nothing and get paid ,

Cons

Point system , not many hours , low raises , sweatshop work conditions . Mangement got to sit in a nice ac office the ac was broke all summer and it was so hot I just could it take it , corporate must not give a hoot bec even customers complained ... They won't give u anymore than 29 hours a week if ur lucky or they don't lay you off ... I met some of the nicest people working here , some of the best actually and we all complained... If I was a ceo or owned a business i would care what my employees had to say , there they ones doing ur work while u make ur millions .. And if they suck u into working f3 u will have to work at 6am til whenever and it's still minum wage ...oh and if you call out and u have a doctors note you still get points . This place sucks a lot . I couldn't afford any of my bills when I worked there ... Please go get a job with BENEFITS , and actaul real raises , and not a lousey 12 Cents after a year ...

Advice to Management

Care about ur employees needs and thoughts and sick days

9. points

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Manchester, CT

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and good employees

Cons

The points situation is not right. If u don't feel good or have a family emergency u gotta really think of calling out because u get points. So basically u have to go to work when u are sick or having a family situation because u will get points.

Advice to Management

Be understanding about there employees we all humans and get sick and have family situations

10. Poor

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount is decent at 20 percent

Cons

Treat their managers poorly.

11. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discount and nice coworkers

Cons

Store management is not very professional

Advice to Management

Improve store management by using fixed store policy

RSS Feed </> Embed