Ocean Tomo

Add Photos

Ocean Tomo Managing Director & Board of Managers Andrew W. Carter

Andrew W. Carter

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

ConsAlmost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should promote their family-friendly attitude more. They have great family policies but downplay them (I almost did not accept the job because I didn't know about the flex time). I pretty much work 4 days a week, which in consulting is unheard of. In other words, dear bosses, don't be humble... tout what makes your great!

Great people, space, and work. I really enjoy it here.

Expert Testimony Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart, fun, and helpful coworkers. I love the people here. Management appears to really care about us. Great office space. The work is interesting and challenging, and it seems like I frequently learn something new.

ConsWork can be erratic at times, with some unplanned late nights. While I understand this can happen in consulting, it still can be upsetting when I have to change my personal plans to finish a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to have monthly outings, instead of only having "fun" nights every other month. This would be especially important if we have had to work any late nights.

Great experience with friendly people

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLocation
    Friendly people
    Smart people
    Well-rounded individuals in and out of the office
    Learn some of the soft skills - they are all really good talkers since they work with clients and sell jobs
    Chicago's biannual meeting was always fun

ConsCan feel lonely and stressed a couple of days - but you feel that in every job
    Work can get boring since you work with lots of data in MS Excel and type up reports in MS Word

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Space, great workers, not great management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat space, great offices, great people

Consmanagement sucks! they don't always do what they say they will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to all employees

Great place that I very much enjoy

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood mix of challenging work, interesting new projects, and "typical" assignments. My coworkers are great... all the people here are willing to help and are very friendly. The company promotes teamwork and "everybody getting ahead". Management has both true visionaries and good everyday managers.

ConsThe company offers unlimited time off with pay, which sounds great but it can be hard to get as much time off in large blocks as you want. Taking a few days or a week off a few times a year is easy. But trying to take more than 2 weeks off at once can be challenging. Last year I was only able to take 5 weeks off total, and was not able to take the month-long vacation I had hoped for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't offer free ice cream on Fridays in the summer so I don't get fat? Just kidding. But except for the vacation issue I think this company does a great job of working with people.

Very good company

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent company to learn and grow with. My coworkers are great, probably the best anywhere. I have made many friends here at all levels of the company. We work on both "tried and true" things and cutting-edge ideas. Overall, a great place.

ConsMost benefits are good (health plan and vacation are great), but the company does not match 401k contributions. I thought everyone did that.

Advice to Senior ManagementA week ago I would have said to do something fun for the summer, and then on Friday they announced that we would have a free ice cream cart in the office every Friday this summer. So someone is thinking ahead!

Very good place to work, learn, and make friends.

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat culture and people. Less like an impersonal business and more like a family working together. They constantly provided me opportunities. I learned a ton while I was there (left to go into a completely different line of work). Good mix of "regular" and "new" projects. Sometimes the hours were long but at least we were all working together.

ConsThey do not match 401k contributions and dental plan is below average. Other than that, things were great for a long time. Unfortunately, early this year things got a bit rough because of the economy and the "non team players" at the company began grumble and cause trouble. Once they left everything was good again though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the best advice I could give would be to tighten recruiting standards so no more "non team players" get back into the firm. A few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel.

Worked for Ocean Tomo? Contribute to the Community!