Ocean Tomo Reviews

Andrew W. Carter

1. Good company

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

Good career start

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.

Great financial analyst job

Current Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

I think the best thing about this place is the people. My coworkers are smart and helpful, people are fun to be around, and even the bosses are cool. The work is mostly challenging, but can sometimes be boring. The field (intellectual property) is unique and interesting. I'm building skills in both the financial area and the legal area so this is a good springboard to a lot of different careers. Socially we have a lot of fun. We go out about once a month, and we just had a summer drinking and gambling cruise that everyone really enjoyed.

Cons

As mentioned above, the work can be mundane at times. But as I have gained more experience I have had less and less of that to do. It would also be nice to have free lunches. I have a couple friends that work at start-ups and they get all their lunches for free. Here we only get free soda, ice cream, and lunch a couple times a month.

Advice to Management

If you give us free lunches we will probably work harder (hint hint). Also, it would be nice to have a rotation program where we can work in the other offices, especially San Francisco in the winter time.

How can anyone rate this place positively?

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are in "the club" you are treated well. (If you stand up to the horribly unethical things going on, you're not... but we'll get to that in the cons. If you like to drink, they have drinking events. If you are insecure, you can get a boost of confidence because the men there will make inappropriate comments about how great you look. Awesome. Pro for the guys - you can make inappropriate comments with no consequence.

Cons

Unethical and secretive. Always cutting corners. Poor work quality and low reputation in the market. I have worked for other litigation consulting firms, and they laugh about one of OT's experts regularly. Kind of sad. If you are a mediocre person this will be a great environment for you. However, if you have higher standards in terms of quality, professionalism, and career aspirations, look elsewhere. The career path is very limited after coming here if you are just starting your career after college. While other financial analysts are learning transferable skills, you are doing the same things over and over that take no intellectual ability. Be aware of this.

Advice to Management

Have a 401m match! I don't even know how you get older people to work for you... Uphold ethical standards. Don't be so secretive. What's really going on with the company? People want to know. We employees sometimes suspect that the reason you aren't sharing information is because there is no good information to share.

6. Associate

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

Challenging work. Unique work. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I joined but things have worked out pretty well. It's almost like a cross between finance and the law. Is the work sometimes repetitive? Yes, but that is the nature of preparing reports for litigation, as everything has to be 100% perfect or the expert (my boss) will get killed on cross examination. Like a lot of professions this one gets more interesting as you stick with it since you have more client-involvement and higher level work. Work/life balance is good. I have had some 80 hour weeks and some weekends, but I also have had lots of "easy" weeks and have taken several weeks of vacation a year.

Cons

As others have mentioned, 401k match is lacking. The monthly firm outings have also seemed to have dropped to every other month and I wish we still went out every month. It would also be nice to get together with the other offices (we have offices in several cities) more than just once or twice a year. Maybe we should have at least three all-firm get togethers a year, one in each of the major offices.

Advice to Management

My advice is really related to my "cons". More outings and get togethers would improve morale I think. And a 401k match would be good too.

shoddy interview process

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

Some experienced people work there

Cons

Culture that encourages shortcuts and questionable actions that shortchange clients and employees; secretive management seriously infected with hubris; only way to get ahead is to pretend senior management knows what they are doing - they don't.

Advice to Management

Puffery will not make you successful. IMO, this firm is not long for this world.

Expert Testimony

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

The whole idea of intellectual property is extremely interesting. I think the founders of the company had good intentions when starting the group, but failed to keep up with the evolution of the industry, its constituents, its employees, and the changing business landscape. Many of the people who work at this company are truly brilliant. Sadly, social and business skills are lacking, so the brilliance of many cannot be translated into much real gain. Most employees have the opportunity to run their own schedule. I have listed this as a "Pro" but some may find this a "Con" because they prefer more direction. Personal preference.

Cons

People seem to be far overqualified for the type of work they are doing. For example, many "entry level" employees (i.e. analysts) have 5+ years experience under their belts in addition to graduate degrees. On the other hand, people who are far UNDERqualified are often in higher positions than they deserve - I can only assume this is because of personal characteristics or relationships, because it certainly isn't based on work quality. Some of the folks in the organization are quite unprofessional and tend to make others uncomfortable with their commentary and crude behavior. The organization is too heavily reliant on their Expert Testimony group, which is a dying business. Try to engage in new ideas that are forward-looking. Many of the ideas that have been attempted in the past seem to be insubstantial - simple attempts to make outsiders perceive the company as well-diversified. Much of the work (especially for analysts) is horribly monotonous and often pointless. Efficiency is not a quality that is valued in this company, and wasting time seems to be almost rewarded.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can give is to raise your standards. Good people can get uncomfortable in a work environment like this, and no matter what "behind the scenes" kind of benefits you can give, you can't make up for feeling uncomfortable every time you walk in the door in the morning. Please understand that employees are not machines. We all have something unique to offer - isn't that why you hired us? So listen to new ideas, don't ruin people's lives by calling them into the office over holidays and while you know they are with family. Do not have overqualified people working on nonsense. It really is all just common sense...

Patent Review Process

I have been working at Ocean Tomo

Pros

Company was very professional from the start and you feel you're in good hands.

Cons

Ocean Tomo informs you that during the patent review they can use any data provided as they see fit as well as ask any question regarding the technology and say its part of the review process. This is data mining.

Advice to Management

Provide a non disclosure statement to patent owners before any information is accepted.

Entry-Level Analysts Beware

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time

Pros

-Work with some smart people -Learn about interesting technologies/topics -Good office space

Cons

-No integrity in the firm's senior leadership -Salary on a per hour basis is a joke (no 401K match either) -Bonus is a joke -Incredibly long hours and weekends doing trivial, monotonous work that can and will be slightly altered and need to be completely redone on the whim of a director or managing director -1/2 the job of an analyst is to check and recheck sentences and numbers in reports

Advice to Management

Be more open and less secretive. Treat your employees with respect. If you anticipate that a project will cause someone to work 80 hour weeks, maybe staff some more people on it. Hire more people instead of pouring the money into luxury cars.

Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

Cons

Almost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

Advice to Management

Management should promote their family-friendly attitude more. They have great family policies but downplay them (I almost did not accept the job because I didn't know about the flex time). I pretty much work 4 days a week, which in consulting is unheard of. In other words, dear bosses, don't be humble... tout what makes your great!

RSS Feed </> Embed