Oceanit

Be The First To
Add Photos

Patrick Sullivan

Great team of people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oceanit

ProsThere is a lot of flexibility in choosing what you want to do. Because of the brilliant and diverse minds in the office, the conversations and technologies are amazing! It's a fun place to work if you like to do something different each day.

ConsAt times, there can be too many things to work on as Oceanit is constantly redefining itself and its services. It's tough to be all things to all people, but they give it a go!

Advice to Senior ManagementEgos are left at the door.. but they should be left off at all times. It could be more effective to be humble and open to learning from others.

Just Okay...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oceanit

ProsI got to work on some fun things. I can't really describe what they were but some of the work was pretty fun.

ConsI do not like the atmosphere of the company. It was not a fit for me.

Oceanit: innovative Hawaii-based technology firm

Manager, Software Team (Current Employee)
Kïhei, HI

I have been working at Oceanit full-time for more than a year

ProsInnovative hawaii-based company. Interesting projects.

ConsRelationship with customer was strained.

A very unique place to work

Senior Personnel (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oceanit full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOceanit leads cutting edge research in Space& Defence, Information Science and Life Science areas. Key to the success of Oceanit is the multi-disciplinary aspect of problem solving.

ConsOceanit faces similar challenges like any other small company. Transitioning and communicating advanced technology solutions to the real world is always a challenge for small companies.

creative culture

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oceanit full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany embraces risk taking when it comes to innovation, knowledgeable staff of all varieties of backgrounds, are able to solve hard problems in most areas, unique culture of collegial creativity, ideas are sought from all of the staff regardless of education or degrees earned, staff are genuinely nice to work with, family atmosphere

ConsSuffers from same problems faced by smaller technology firms, i.e., no funding to commercialize (venture funding) and uphill climb to gov't acquisition programs (long process), high cost of living in Hawaii not balanced by higher salaries, difficult to retain staff especially not from Hawaii (island fever).

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going, Hawaii needs more tech jobs

Abundant opportunities for talented, motivated scientists and engineers

Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Oceanit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReview for S&T group. Freedom to work on what interests you. If you can bring in funding you can work on it. A wide variety of cool projects available to work on. Hawaii (quality of life is high: weather, activities, beaches, restaurants, etc.). Strong materials science, bio/nanotechnology, electrical engineering. If you have a question chances are someone in the company knows the answer- very diverse talent pool. Aloha shirts at work everyday! Some very smart employees with very good ideas.

ConsSome have complained about low salaries but if you work hard and bring in funding you will be rewarded for your efforts. As a small business, funding depends on employees (yourself or your colleagues). Hawaii (cost of living is high compared to mainland). If you choose to just "coast" along, your career path could go out of your control (must take initiative).

Advice to Senior ManagementBringing Tech jobs to Hawaii is a great thing. It is not necessarily easy but Oceanit is thriving and have built a company where people can really put their talents to work.

Oceanit is good at brainstormming ideas and writing proposals, but poor at execution

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oceanit

ProsI was able to build a great professional skillset during my time at Oceanit. They allow employees the freedom to take on diverse responsibilities and projects. Employees are encouraged to look for solicitations and submit proposals which is a great learning experience. Employees with initiative can quickly gain roles in project/program management. Since Oceanit is a small company, employees also get exposure to all business units (contracts, operations, finance, etc.) which enhances the big picture understanding of business operations.

ConsOceanit is great at writings proposals, but they are subpar at executing the contracts they win. Resources are routinely pulled off projects in favor of writing proposals which results in projects missing critical deadlines. This strategy has damaged customer satisfaction and hindered opportunities for follow on contracts with existing customers. Salaries are subpar compared to most engineering firms (roughly 85% compensation), and raises were frozen for 4 years straight. This is due to Oceanit being a small family business, they don't have the backlog/buffer of larger companies and are more sensitive to the economic downturn. The benefits are pretty meager also, health insurance is pretty expensive and they only match up to $1k to your 401k which takes 5-6 years to fully vest. Only family members have upper management positions, which is a drawback for anyone interested in advancing that high on the org chart.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on contract execution, this will improve customer satisfaction and increase the number of follow-on contracts and thus stabilize revenue. Missed deadlines are far too common place and that part of the company culture needs to be corrected.

Worthwhile

Civil Engineering Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oceanit

Prosworking with everyone including senior project managers. Work at oceanit was intense but relatively enjoyable and fun. Everyone has a good sense of humor and is very professional.

ConsNot enough focus on one particular field. Different department (IT, Marketing, Consulting, Engineering) do not consult with each other often.

No leadership, no growth

I have been working at Oceanit

ProsPeople (workers) are great to work with and form solid bonds.

Diverse teams of skills/talent.

Strong government connections in and around Honolulu.

Well connected to DC lobby seeking earmarks as noted by the local news.

ConsPure nepotism at the managment layer with no room for employees to rise beyond family members

Family CEO, COO, directors and managers quite literally have no educational background or skills in their particular areas and most workers have education and experience well beyond that of their leaders. The result is that the workers must pool together to overcome the lack of leadership and stagnate

Marketing is the strongest part of the company with a focus in corporate promotion and questionable media releases v.s. actual substance and quality products

Poor business model based on a grants and project based approach means constantly changing corporate direction requiring hiring a diverse skills/talent pool

Project funding determines worker retention so company layoffs are highly regular

Advice to Senior ManagementNepotism is the worst model for leadership. Workers are held accountable but family members quite literally are not and gaining real managers is required for real improvement.

Decent place to work. some complaints but no job is perfect

I have been working at Oceanit

Prossmall co. so good opportunities for end to end involvement in projects. Know and like most of the folks I work with, some really good peers here. If you have an idea and the energy to pursue it the company is usually supportive. Location - HI is wonderful place to live.

ConsNeed to focus more on product development and back this up with the culture and resources to make it really happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more depth in a narrower range of products.

Worked for Oceanit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oceanit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oceanit CEO Patrick Sullivan. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Oceanit employees.