Oceus Networks Reviews

2.9
Randy Fuerst

1. Cutting edge technology

I worked at Oceus Networks

Pros

Great benefits in a comfortable working environment. Great potential to hit it big with primary product. Great opportunity for engineers to learn and be at the ground floor with an exciting product.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions due to size of company.

If you have a choice, don't choose this comoany

I worked at Oceus Networks

Pros

People are intelligent. But management does not reward or respect that unless you are a sales guy

Cons

No camaraderie in spite of the existence of good people; not big on best practices or doing what is good for the company other than trying to make money.

Advice to Management

Understand that it takes more than executive managers to run a company. Also understand that making the sales pitch is only the first part of being profitable.

Great place to get a variety of experience, but beware of the good ole boy small company mentality and poor management.

Current Employee - Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Oceus Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Due to small company, you get a chance to shape your experiences, work in new areas, etc. In some positions, you can branch into a variety of work areas and thus somewhat shape your career. You don't get as bored at one job, since you are not as highly specialized as you would be at a much larger company. This is a good place to really learn a lot about LTE and sometimes other wireless communications systems. This may be a good place to jump your career but due to poor chance for advancement it is probably best to plan to stay for a few years and move on.

Cons

Good ole boy network dominates here - many of the top level engineers and PM's and/or VP's were past friends and coworkers of the hiring managers and VP's, and can do no wrong.. Company is dominated by SW engineers because that is all the hiring managers know and therefore cannot appreciate nor understand any other engineering specialties, such as EE engineers, RF engineers, and HW engineers, etc. Therefore they tend to think SW engineers alone are geniuses who can do everything including specialties that are way beneath them, resulting in grossly inferior products. There is a LOT more office politics here than at large companies. If you are not good at playing the game you will lose out. PM's have a boss who is over 1000 miles away in another state; as a result they are not controlled in any way and get away with anything; this includes one who regularly yells and curses (words like F'ing, F, D, and GD, etc.) at and intimidates people; all PM's have a direct path to management and are allowed to complain secretly about employees and it is never brought up to the employee until a year later at their annual review, with no rebuttal or discussions allowed with the complaining PM. Dispute resolution is nonexistent; employees are totally expected to do their jobs, keep quiet, and take whatever is dished out about them with no recourse. There is an inner circle of old fiends who do all kinds of social activities together; if you ARE in this inner circle you are trusted and can easily bring up issues about others, even while socializing; if NOT you are to shut up as you will not be trusted; on the contrary you will instead be viewed with a very skeptical eye. Innovation is highly encouraged in the entire company, however the reality is that only R&D team members are provided a platform and opportunity to really discuss openly and work on their ideas. R&D team will 'consult' with others on ideas when they absolutely need help, but then will work secretly on those ideas beyond that point, walking the grey area between stealing others ideas and not, only later to take 100% credit for new products and/or features. Some of the PM's have poor to no development experience; some have no engineering background at all; as result they have absolutely no understanding of the engineering disciplines and development environment; results are unprofessional at best.

Advice to Management

Engineering management has a reputation for not giving a crap about its people. If you are not in the 'inner circle' of friends with management who goes boating, four-wheeling, or whatever, you are seen as unimportant and as just another number. Any complaints are viewed by management as just a thorn in their sides, therefore management is not trusted at all by many. If you have a problem, just keep it to yourself. Management needs a better appreciation for other engineering specialties - SW engineers can't do everything as good as they do SW engineering - that's why these other engineering specialties exist. Also project managers are not properly managed themselves. Their boss is over 1000 miles away. PM's can do anything they want and get away with it. They can complain about employees but the employee never hears about it until a year later at their annual review - and then there is no rebuttal allowed. One of the PM's even curses at, yells at, and intimidates his workers for example and this is totally allowed.

One-dimensional company - one promising product and good team but no customers

Current Employee - Technical Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Oceus Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn latest in LTE and security technologies Some great technical people -smart and helpful Some very cool demos in trailers, humvees, balloons and planes.

Cons

Only one product offering; still immature and lacks radios approved for government spectrum. Work load is seriously unbalanced. Technical delivery groups are overworked while admin groups are idle and punch a clock from 9-4 typically. Leadership is disengaged with the real work (who does what) and don't know individual's value to the team. All new leadership positions are filled from outside - rampant cronyism.

Advice to Management

Company is too top-heavy with executive mgmt. for its size. Company spends way too much for consultants and travel and not much in new business to show for it. Clean house on management and hire more sales people who can really bring in customers.

6. Exciting technology, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Oceus Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can truly say I enjoy coming to the office each day. Not only do I enjoy the people I work with across the company, I like work that I do. I'm still learning new things after two years with the company.

Cons

We are a newer company (currently in our fourth year after a spin-off from a much larger organization) and are still finding our way, trying to penetrate new markets, which isn't easy.

Advice to Management

I have faith in the new leadership and am excited about the road ahead. Let's keep focused and not try to do too many different things, and I think we'll be successful.

7. Oceus Networks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Oceus Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe that recent changes have improved our opportunity for future growth. A very exciting time with full belief that many positive things are headed our way. Changes at the top level are seen as positive and everyone seems ready to take on the challenges ahead under the new leader.

Cons

Not an easy job, changes impact users which can sometimes be very stressful. Promotions or moving up into management areas not very likely unless you are already on the inside. Some roles do not show a lot of room for growth, which can be discouraging.

Advice to Management

Believe that they are on the right track! Keep up the good work.. Note below comment of No Opinion was an outdated selection.

8. Very strong knit bunch of professionals working together efficiently to deliver and support the customer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at Oceus Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I found the company to be very innovative and good adhesiveness to strive for the best product that be provided to the customer. Out of the box ideas and challenging concepts which helps the keep the product and service attractive and efficient

Cons

Dependency on a narrow range of clients effects the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Better to break the mold and broaden the range of clientele

Spending spree no accounting for management

Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Oceus Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Below the director level good people doing good work - Managers just keep on making the same mistakes - over looking their customers wants and needs. Sales are flat what does that tell you?

Cons

Sooo many managers. Surprised Oceus doesn't have a manager of restrooms. Seriously they are the most top heavy company I have seen. Upper management CEO/COO seem to be good at hiring managers but do nothing to gain business. Sales and marketing...none. They can't collect whats owed and they seem to give away service and support at a drop of a hat. This is a company who is lost in the DoD arena. Good luck to those that are sticking it out.

Advice to Management

Loose some weight - my goodness how many managers does it take to screw in a light bulb. Learn how to perform in DoD space and remember its not what you think of yourself, but what your CUSTOMERS think of you. Keep going down the path you are on, the cliff is not far away. Some company is going to buy whats left of you, of course that's what you want anyway.

Run by a man with no integrity

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Oceus Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology - good people working there.

Cons

Integrity starts at the top! Ask the CEO about the lack of integrity he has demonstrated repeatedly in his personal life and the families wrecked as a direct result. A man with no morals in his personal life cannot be an effective CEO of a company specializing in government sales and support. Americans should demand better.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO

One Big Hot Mess!

I worked at Oceus Networks

Pros

I do not believe there are any

Cons

Everything!!! this company does not know their left from right! Only consider working here if you are desperate!!!

Advice to Management

Develop a plan and stick to it!

RSS Feed </> Embed